HR20 fails to read eSATA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reber1b

Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
So. Cal
Hi all, just registered today, and here I am already, hat in hand, asking for help. Ah well, that's the kind of guy I am I guess. Anyway, here's my problem:

HR20-700 with Seagate 750 gig Free Agent Pro. Both about 2 years old, no previous problems of any consequence prior to this. No major changes since the last software update several weeks ago.

Last night when I tried to select a program from my Playlist, instead of getting the normal window from which to select "Play", "Info", "Resume", etc, I got a window that asked if I wanted to "Delete" or "No, don't delete". I tried other recordings from my Playlist and got the same result. I then Exited from the playlist only to find the DVR was locked up, and I had no control with the remote. I then went to the front panel and found no response to any button pushes. With no other choice, I pulled the plug on the DVR and the eSATA, waited about 10 minutes, repowered the eSATA and then the DVR. After the bootup was complete, the DVR responded normally to the remote, but when I selected the playlist, I was shown the playlist for the internal HDD which only had a couple of items on it. I then unplugged the DVR & eSATA again, and left them off until this morning. Powered them both back up only to find the situation the same. I can think of no apparent reason the DVR won't read the eSATA. When I turn the eSATA on, its lights remain off until I power up the DVR, which is normal, nevertheless, I unplugged and replugged both ends of the eSATA cable just for good measure. To the best of my knowledge, the eSATA had about 25% unused space available, so I was wondering, does the DVR select which drive to use according to total capacity or space available? Can anyone else think of any possibe causes I should look into?.................. TIA.

PS: I know I may eventually have to face the worst case scenario, but I'm not quite ready just yet.

To my knowledge the dvr will select the esata drive over the internal hdd in all senarios, sounds to me like something is going on with the external drive, i know you wont be able to do anything with the files, but i would try to connect it to a computer just to make sure theres no problems with the drive.

Sounds like your FAP went out on you. You wont be able to read it from a PC but if you hook it up and go to the partition manager under system administration, you should be able to see the linux partitions on it. If you hook it up to the PC and nothing shows up, its dead.

To my knowledge the dvr will select the esata drive over the internal hdd in all senarios, sounds to me like something is going on with the external drive, i know you wont be able to do anything with the files, but i would try to connect it to a computer just to make sure theres no problems with the drive.

You are correct, if the esata drive is connected and turned on and the HD DVR is rebooted, it should come up and read the ESATA drive, not the internal one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts