HR20 Features

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ummm Wes, Who are you and why do you care so much about Earl's views? I assumed he may be a tester, so what that is what they do and here is the review, good god man, what did you want him to say?

wes_lause said:
once again earl blatantly lies,

it is nothing personal in the post i made above, it is me staing how you purposely slant things towards dtv, cause you are angling towards freebies and getting that free plasma tv. hmmm. using ones position to get goodies.

honorable people do not do that

and there is no way the above is personal, never meeting the person right there means not personal
Sounds like a DISH lover to me .....
I wish they would stay in thier own forum, if all they want to do is bash D*, thats why it's there after all .....

Just wondering...

Is it technically impossible to get PIP through satellite?

I'm assuming that would have been done long ago if possible.

If it has 2 or more tuners each with a separate output it should be possible right? Like having two receivers in the same cabinate now; which I do. Maybe fore some reason they think its a feature dying out?

vgsantiago said:
Just wondering...

Is it technically impossible to get PIP through satellite?

I'm assuming that would have been done long ago if possible.

No.. it just increases the complexity of the hardware...
Dish's unit does it..

The complexity it adds is having to introduce a second video output.

Brewer4 said:
This unit has ethernet. Earl, do you see anything disabled that hints at video over IP or any of the things D* has been talking about at CES and the past 2 years?

You know wes_lause, I had a legitimate question that got burried under your attacks and spews and then folks having to respond and support Earl. I've been reading Earl's posts and reviews for years. You have not started off on a good foot. Please take it elsewhere so folks can actually focus on the topic. If you want to contribute or ask questions, no problem. Thanks!

charper1 said:
Maybe there is some pending threat over OTA HD recording they are waiting out? The DishNetwork DNS issue going on brings this to my mind. Hell, just google using some of these keywords: network/sue/NAB/affiliates/DVR.
You have to be kidding. DNS over satellite has nothing to do with recording local OTA HD. So I guess MYHD cards are gonna become illegal too? fat chance. That also makes no sense because that exact content if going to be sent over satellite as well as HDLIL.

Last edited:
So to answer your question....
No there is nothing in the current software build that shows something disabled...

But... I know it is still in the cards (VOD via IP)... just not sure when that deck will be delt.

ebonovic said:
No.. it just increases the complexity of the hardware...
Dish's unit does it..

The complexity it adds is having to introduce a second video output.

How unfortunate, makes them sound cheap and not on the cutting edge. LIke Charper1 mentioned, maybe they feel it's not as popular but by now that should be standard. Like buying a new car and not getting the CD player.

Being the Sports leader that should be top priority for football season (college\NFL).

The long awaited arrival and nothing to write home about:confused:

Gen Custer said:
Everyone at DBStalk is gushing about the HR20 but it appears the only advantage to our trusty HDTIVOs is the ability to record MPEG4.

Subtracted Features
-No dual liver buffers-totally bogus that this is not implemented
-No TIVO Interface
-No OTA tuners out of the box (always skeptical with promised features and the ability to seamlessly incorporate them into a released product)

Those are huge. IMO the only thing Satellite can do for OTA HD locals is degrade them, no wonder they are releasing this thing in HDLIL areas first. But I do feel sorry for subs in those areas that have OTA reception. Until the OTA tuners work they have 1/2 of a DVR IMO. Its best to hang on to the HR10-250 for as long as possible it seems. At least it works. The dual buffer issue is ridiculous as well.

I guess I am in the minority on the dual buffer since I mostly watch recorded stuff. And live sports, I have 2 receivers and 2 TV's (Sunday Ticket) that split the duty load so I am not popping back and forth on the same unit. OTA is wicked important though.

Brewer4 said:
I guess I am in the minority on the dual buffer since I mostly watch recorded stuff. And live sports, I have 2 receivers and 2 TV's (Sunday Ticket) that split the duty load so I am not popping back and forth on the same unit. OTA is wicked important though.

Wicked important? Are you from Maine? :D

vgsantiago said:
How unfortunate, makes them sound cheap and not on the cutting edge. LIke Charper1 mentioned, maybe they feel it's not as popular but by now that should be standard. Like buying a new car and not getting the CD player.

Being the Sports leader that should be top priority for football season (college\NFL).

The long awaited arrival and nothing to write home about:confused:

Actually.... IMHO.. PIP implemented on the receiver kinda limits things..
On my plasma if I was to purchase a new interface card... I coudl feed it 4 video signals, and get 4 "PIPs"... and I actually think they have a 16.. but that would way to small

Most TV's come with a PIP feature now adays... So why add to the cost of the receiver box? It is one of those arguments that have a very balanced argument on both side... one of those cases, where you can't please both sides...

raoul5788 said:
Wicked important? Are you from Maine? :D

Nah just New England via Northern Ireland, California, Hawaii, Illinois, Connecticut, New Jersey, Rhode Island. Follow all that? I dont know what the hell I am!

vurbano said:
You have to be kidding. DNS over satellite has nothing to do with recording local OTA HD. So I guess MYHD cards are gonna become illegal too? fat chance. That also makes no sense because that exact content if going to be sent over satellite as well as HDLIL.

What my question was (in thinking of the DNS removal issue) was MAYBE they were keeping the OTA HD record under wraps because of some behind the scenes threat of litigation. I don't know which is why I posed a question. I know that DNS via DBS and OTA are separate deals, but the infringement threats may lean the same; I have no idea was just asking.

ebonovic said:
Actually.... IMHO.. PIP implemented on the receiver kinda limits things..
On my plasma if I was to purchase a new interface card... I coudl feed it 4 video signals, and get 4 "PIPs"... and I actually think they have a 16.. but that would way to small

Most TV's come with a PIP feature now adays... So why add to the cost of the receiver box? It is one of those arguments that have a very balanced argument on both side... one of those cases, where you can't please both sides...

Doesn't seem too much was spent...
DISH does it, COX Communications has it. I'm sure more do also.

My Televsion does have the capability for PIP. So before I go on does the new HD-DVR receiver or any D* receiver have the ability to send 2 signals at once? Honestly never thought of trying.

I have never seen it on any pre-DirecTV branded (I don't own any DirecTV branded gear to report). I have 2 receivers in the dean cabinet to drive my multiple images during NBA and NFL seasons.

As of right now.. I don't know of any DirecTV hardware that can send out two outputs at the same time.

Meaning not with different / separate tuned programming right? Because I know the older HD units I have; all the outputs are "hot" at the same time, but only with the same programming selection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)