HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
IF I order it online it should show up on all my rec's, I have 2 HR 20's will it record on both or do they make you select which one to record to or can you record it on both, I would like it on both if possible.

Can't you tell I'm very new at this type of thing ????:D:D:D

Jimbo

For me besides the BD thing it beats a 24 mile round trip as Hastings removed the drop box on my end of town...

:D

I went on the D* website and went thru the order process to see what options you have. It asks you which one you want to record to, so that answers that, one or the other, but I DO think it shows up on all of my rec's .

Jimbo

:D

I went on the D* website and went thru the order process to see what options you have. It asks you which one you want to record to, so that answers that, one or the other, but I DO think it shows up on all of my rec's .

Jimbo

That sounds like remote scheduling, are you clicking on the "(Order)" that shows up to the right of the title (to just order it) vs. clicking on the title which gets you the remote scheduling feature and not using the "(Order)" option there..

I would think you would need to tell one of your HR20's to actually record the showing. If you don't all that the online ordering would allow you to do is watch it live on all your STB's, just the blanket account ordering on the web isn't going to tell your boxes to record it.

That sounds like remote scheduling, are you clicking on the "(Order)" that shows up to the right of the title (to just order it) vs. clicking on the title which gets you the remote scheduling feature and not using the "(Order)" option there..

I would think you would need to tell one of your HR20's to actually record the showing. If you don't all that the online ordering would allow you to do is watch it live on all your STB's, just the blanket account ordering on the web isn't going to tell your boxes to record it.

Rad,
I'm not going to record it right now, I looked at both options, but you make a good point.
I did see where it asked which one I wanted to record to, I'm presuming thats the correct spot .... You cannot select BOTH locations I don't think.

Jimbo

Rad,
I'm not going to record it right now, I looked at both options, but you make a good point.
I did see where it asked which one I wanted to record to, I'm presuming thats the correct spot .... You cannot select BOTH locations I don't think.

Jimbo

Jimbo, not sure it this works like this but if you want it on both of your HR20's maybe order it online and then on both HR20's set up a record for that time/date/channel. If it works great, if not you're out the $4.99 and can let us know it doesn't work that way. ;)

Well, I went back into the PPV's on the web site and was looking and picked a time and then you log in and I thought that it was going to say "Are you sure" you know like all the other things you do with D*.
Well it didn't and I have ordered the movie, by mistake, and I DON"T know which one it's recording on, thats what I was looking for when I went ahead and ordered, thinking it would go to the page that asks you that.

Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens on the 24th at noon ....

Jimbo

It then asks you to print your page for confirmation, yet the channel is blacked out and the date is wrong from what I checked.

This will be interesting to see on Christmas day, I could have sworn that I clicked on the 24th.

Does this stay on my DVR until I delete it ? Actually, if I did not want to watch it, I could just let it go and would not be charged if I am understanding how the DVR works

Jimbo

My reciept

Attachments

• Direct ppv.JPG
    Direct ppv.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 133
What date does it show?

My date shows the 25th at noon, I could have swore that I clicked the 24th at noon, I was just putzin around trying to figure it out, had not wanted to record yet till I knew if they would be around, but seeing it's the DVR I guess it's ok.

Jimbo

Hd Running Continuously

I mean they are currently beta testing the live buffer software. Big feature that tivo has where both tuners always have a buffer going so you can flip back and forth between and keep up with two games if you want. Go back, pause, etc...

Once these are going the hdd will need to spin all the time as far as I can tell.

Elwaylite, I am still not convinced that the HD needs to run continuously. Consider the times when the HR-20 is shutoff; I shut mine off after viewing each evening. The question is: if the FAP is set to spin-down (using Seagate software on a PC), will it spin down after the HR-20 is shutoff AND no program is set to record? That is, is there something in the HR-20 OS that requires the HD to be on continuously?

Second question: if the HD does spin-down, as in the manner that occurs in PC usage, will it spin up, on demand, without causing the HR-20 to misbehave?

I am thinking of running a test on the replacement FAP 750 that I am getting from Seagate (see my post 189 in this thread). What if I set the new HD for spin-down in 20 minutes (not power-down) and attach it to the HR-20, set a program to record in 60 minutes, turn off the HR-20 and see what happens. Has anyone done this?

Once more, the reason that I am thinking about this is that I do not believe that the FAP is intended to run 7/24. Yes, it has a 5 year warranty, but I want to improve the odds that the FAP will make it to 5 year and maybe more before croaking and causing the loss of all recorded programs.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments on this matter?

Slardy

My date shows the 25th at noon, I could have swore that I clicked the 24th at noon, I was just putzin around trying to figure it out, had not wanted to record yet till I knew if they would be around, but seeing it's the DVR I guess it's ok.

Jimbo

Jimbo,
1. You can record on both HD-20s. I was told by a DirecTV billing rep that when you order a movie it authorizes all receivers that you have on-line to record. I recorded a PPV on a HR-10-250 and a HR-20. This happened to be a movie on channel 99 which is mpeg-2; the HR-10-250 is strictly a mpeg-2 DVR. The HR-20 will record both mpeg -2 and -4.

2. You need to record on the date of your receipt. But why not record it ASAP? It will stay on your DVR (s) until you delete it. Call DirecTV billing to reschedule the PPV.

3. You should be able to cancel any advance PPV order by calling DirecTV. And if you have any problem capturing the movie, call direcTV and let them know and they will reschedule the viewing for you. I have had to do this because of the confusing process of setting the PPV movie to record.

Try to follow this (it applies to PPV orders when you do not have a phone line connected). I ordered a movie via the internet. When I went to the Guide to setup the recording of the ordered movie, it asked me to confirm the purchase of the movie. I answered NO because it looked to me like I was ordering it a second time. Wrong!

You must answer YES, even though you have already placed the order on the internet. I should have known this was not a second order of the same movie because I do not have a phone line connected to my HR-20.

Slardy

Elwaylite, I am still not convinced that the HD needs to run continuously. Consider the times when the HR-20 is shutoff; I shut mine off after viewing each evening. The question is: if the FAP is set to spin-down (using Seagate software on a PC), will it spin down after the HR-20 is shutoff AND no program is set to record? That is, is there something in the HR-20 OS that requires the HD to be on continuously?

Second question: if the HD does spin-down, as in the manner that occurs in PC usage, will it spin up, on demand, without causing the HR-20 to misbehave?

I am thinking of running a test on the replacement FAP 750 that I am getting from Seagate (see my post 189 in this thread). What if I set the new HD for spin-down in 20 minutes (not power-down) and attach it to the HR-20, set a program to record in 60 minutes, turn off the HR-20 and see what happens. Has anyone done this?

Once more, the reason that I am thinking about this is that I do not believe that the FAP is intended to run 7/24. Yes, it has a 5 year warranty, but I want to improve the odds that the FAP will make it to 5 year and maybe more before croaking and causing the loss of all recorded programs.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments on this matter?

Slardy

The FA has no way of knowing when you are going to need to use the buffered portion of the program so it cannot spin down, it has to be recording at all times.
Also, You cannot turn off your DVR without unplugging it, you simply place it in standby mode when you hit you on/off button, otherwise it would not be able to record when your away.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Here is the External HDD I bought, still on sale...

I saw that one at BB when I was looking, I did not go for it because there was talk that the My Book , may or may not work with D*'s system.
I also wanted something larger, seeing we are currently giving away the 300 G onboard drive.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)