HR20 & HDMI Connection Not Working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wvu_nova

Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
I just hooked up my HR20 last night, I live in the DC area, and the HDMI connection does not work, according to DTV it is a current known issue.

I have it hooked up with Component Cables for now, DTV is expecting a software fix sometime although no timeframe was given. Does anyone else have this issue with the HR20 and HDMI?

Nonetheless I have it successfully installed and the Local Channels, and all HD channels work great in HD, aside from the HDMI issue, after I powered the HR20 up last night, it immediately began to download a software patch and took about 30 minutes to download.

All told, it took me about two hours to get set up before I could watch TV.

This sucks, I just got an hdmi cable in prep for my hr20, I have my current unit hooked up svideo since thats the best on it, don't have any component cables available and hate to waste cash if its going to be fixed, plus one cable is a heck of alot easier than 5

wvu_nova said:
I just hooked up my HR20 last night, I live in the DC area, and the HDMI connection does not work, according to DTV it is a current known issue.

I have it hooked up with Component Cables for now, DTV is expecting a software fix sometime although no timeframe was given. Does anyone else have this issue with the HR20 and HDMI?

Nonetheless I have it successfully installed and the Local Channels, and all HD channels work great in HD, aside from the HDMI issue, after I powered the HR20 up last night, it immediately began to download a software patch and took about 30 minutes to download.

Are you sure this is the HR-20 (700) HD-DVR or are you referring to the H-20 which has had some HDMI issues?:confused:

Just got my HR20 and hooked it up, the HDMI connection works fine. At first power up it didn't seem to be pushing a signal, or at least not one my tv recognized. but hit the res button a couple times and it showed up, now works fine.

wvu_nova said:

If you're having HDMI issue with the HR20 I'd recommend looking at thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=64164. Earl has an inside track with D* and they'd want this information that Earl asks for in the thread.

wvu_nova said:
I just bought the 50" Samsung HPS-5053 Plasma TV. I use a Direct TV HD H20 box, and it is connected via HDMI to the TV. Whenever I change channels the TV makes a brief "Popping Noise" and then the sound works fine while watching the program. This only seems to occur when the channel is changed and only for a brief moment.

He has a previous recent post that refers to him having the H-20 (not the HR-20) and AT9 recently installed, which explains the HDMI issue which is a known problem on some H-20 models. Just a little confusion on model number I assume.

Last edited:
Wierd, last night the HDMI started working but now it appears I may have a new problem.

With the HR20, I can now watch the HD channels using the HDMI but not the channels that are not in HD like CNN? I can only watch those using Component connection? Am I going crazy or is this happening to anyone else?

I had my digital optical cable go in and out with sound first day. Sometimes it would have no sound and other times no Dolby Digital. Seems ok now but who knows.

I havent tested HDMI but I might give that a whirl today.

Quick Fix??

I have had the same HDMI issue. I found that if I unplug the HDMI on either the HR20 or on my TV, then plug it back in I am able to get the picture.
I know this may be hard to do as it is typically difficult to get to the inputs, but the fix seems to work for me.
I have to do this every time I turn on the TV.

I also had the problem where connecting to HDMI gave no picture ... in fact the installer gave up and used the component inputs instead. I have a DVI to HDMI connector that is HDCP enabled. Once the installer left, I tried to get the HDMI working ... no dice. So I connected it back to the components and a software update immediately downloaded. After the update, the HDMI worked fine ... I could see picture. But I still had problems when the unit was set to Native and it had to switch resolutions as I switched channels. I've turned off native and it is set to 720p now (I also tried this at 1080i) and since then I haven't had any problems. I have an Optoma tv (this one wasn't even listed in the list of tv's you could set up the remote with).

cpemberton said:
I also had the problem where connecting to HDMI gave no picture ... in fact the installer gave up and used the component inputs instead. I have a DVI to HDMI connector that is HDCP enabled. Once the installer left, I tried to get the HDMI working ... no dice. So I connected it back to the components and a software update immediately downloaded. After the update, the HDMI worked fine ... I could see picture. But I still had problems when the unit was set to Native and it had to switch resolutions as I switched channels. I've turned off native and it is set to 720p now (I also tried this at 1080i) and since then I haven't had any problems. I have an Optoma tv (this one wasn't even listed in the list of tv's you could set up the remote with).

Check your Optoma user manual and see if that TV converts to 1080i . If not therein lies your problem.

The Optoma tv converts to 1080i. Perhaps I wasn'tclear ... this works if set to 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i as long as it's a fixed resolution (native off). There is only a problem if the DVR is set to native and needs to switch resolution when I change channels, for example from a hd to sd channel or vice versa.

HDMI issue

I had the same thing with my HDMI (I have a Hitachi HD S69 plasma). Phone tech asked me to try the component cables, and I finally got sync/signal (after the sofrware download). My HR-20, which I bought at an $60 profit (This is good. The nice lady at D* Retention couldn't give me a free machine two weeks ago, so she credit my account $370. I bought it for $299 plus $28 S&H from Best Buy. So I made a little scratch on the deal). By the way, it comes with a cheap component cable.

Now, the HDMI issue is gone, and hasn't come back once. My DD 5.1 works fine too, though I don't use it much, only with DVDs.

Anyway, glitches are there. Sometimes, the pause works, sometimes not. I am a Tivo user (have had one for 5 years, now have two), and I find the HR-20 interface user-unfriendly, though I am sure I will figure out it (I don't even see how to get that direct link thingie). My wife hates it, and is sticking with the Directv w/Tivo R10. So we have two dual tuner boxes for one TV. Talk about overkill. I can't get OTA signals here in Philly, so I am stuck with the lousy Directv HD locals. They suck. Keep pixelating, losing voice, etc. The MPEG2 HD channels are fine. It's the locals that stink. They have a weird "film" look, as they did on the H20 as well (which I moved to the bedroom). Anyway, it's got to be the signal/satellite or something at the local stations, because it's only the MPEG4 channels.

Otherwise, it looks good. Have noticed a major lip sync issue on ABC local, but can fix it. If anyone is a fanatic about that, check out www.lipfix.com. I got an Alchemy box, and it really works for DVDs. Many of the newer flat panels have sync issues. And the sync "fixer" on HT receivers and DVD players is inadequate.

Back the HR-20. Looking forward to recording NFL games in HD, which is the main reason I got it.

New problems

The HDMI connection started acting up again yesterday. I had paused an NFL game and turned off the TV. When I returned an hour later, the screen was pink (colors washed out) and in a few minutes, I got a "no sync" message on the screen. I reset the HR-20, and it came back fine. I hope they get this HDMI issue straightened out, because while using component cables isn't a major deal, I paid for the HDMI cable and I want to use it. It also eliminates having to run standard red/white audio cables from the HR-20 for sound via the TV speakers (when not using my HR receiver), since the sound comes through the HDMI cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)