HR20 Latest Version

Status
Please reply by conversation.
HR20-100 has a 20gb bigger hard drive and runs cooler. It is made by RCA/Thompson while 700 is made by Pace.

I've had mine a week and am pleased.

It will be marked on the cardboard box and on a label behind the access card door. The -100 has an external antenna for RF remote (it is built-in on the -700) and it also has a coaxial digital audio output in addition to optical.

I wish I got the 100 instead of the 700. The extra digital output would be a boon to me (one output goes to my prepro, the other would go to my PC to record audio).

Ok, just got the HR20-100 installed and all seems fine. I noticed that the guide seems pretty empty when you look ahead a week or two. Does it take a while to populate this?

Thanks,
Randy

P.S. I was getting 50s to 70s on 103b and the guy went up and tweaked the dish alignment and now I'm in the 90s.

I may get one when I move soon, but I doubt I'll bother with it at this point. I do have a DVR already at where I live, but its a standard one. I got it for my mom so she could record all the shows she falls asleep watching.

If you have fulfilled you programming commitment you have more bargaining power for a discounted HD/DVR. When you move, if you do the movers connection thing, the programming commitment will be renewed.

Ummmm... why would the newer model of the DVR not have OTA capabilities? I would understand if like the early DVRs didn't have them.. and I heard that when the D* HR20s came out originally they had OTA ports but not DVR support for them. Why would they go "backwards" like that?

There's a very good reason, in D*'s mind... I make it all the more likely that the sub would purchase the locals thru D* and pocketing another $ 5 per sub, a good number of cities are available, but a long way from everyone.
I think it's a bad idea for them to do this, but this is probably the reason behind it, other than it being a few bucks cheaper to make.

Jimbo

Ok, just got the HR20-100 installed and all seems fine. I noticed that the guide seems pretty empty when you look ahead a week or two. Does it take a while to populate this?

Thanks,
Randy

P.S. I was getting 50s to 70s on 103b and the guy went up and tweaked the dish alignment and now I'm in the 90s.

Yes,
It takes 24-48 hours (usually 24) to populate the required 14 days, the curent days should populate over an hour or so.

Jimbo

Another question for you HR20 pros. In my old H20, when the guide was up, I could punch in a channel number and the guide would jump to that channel position. This way I didn't have to scroll many times to get from one end of the guide to another. The HR20, however, doesn't let me do this. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited:
I have an install in 3 days. Is there any choice in selecting the 100 over the 700? Does the installer just arrive with one or the other?

Mine does

Another question for you HR20 pros. In my old H20, when the guide was up, I could punch in a channel number and the guide would jump to that channel position. This way I didn't have to scroll many times to get from one end of the guide to another. The HR20, however, doesn't let me do this. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Randy

Seems something is amiss for you.

I also discovered if Left Arrow "<" in the guide to Channel # column, you can view the Selected channel in the Thumbnail in upper right corner without leaving the Guide.

The only problem I've noticed is that selecting a Channel directly from Live TV it will go to the SD Channel. For example, entering 202 will give me CNN SD rather than HD, even though i have weeded out the SD channels in Favorites.

I've read the CE software allows you to eliminate the SD duplicates.

It depends

I have an install in 3 days. Is there any choice in selecting the 100 over the 700? Does the installer just arrive with one or the other?

On who your installer is. D* won't give you a choice. You might call D* to get the installers number and then call them. They may be able to give you your choice. You want to do that anyway to make sure the order is "in order". Mine wasn't but the call fixed it. You can also call the day of the install to get a better clue as to when they are "really" coming.

Mine had only HR20-100s in Silver. That was what I wanted anyway. There is a mix of opinions about 100s and 700s. If you want to integrate your OTA HD channels, avoid the HR21.

For me the biggest problem on the install is that, to the Tech, time is money. To you, it is quality. I tipped mine $20 up front to nail the dish signals. To me, the dish install will make or break your system. Most anything else you can fix yourself or a least a neighbor or friend can.

DBSTalk has some good help sheets on what to expect on the install and how check that it is right. As good as my Tech tweaked the dish he forgot to ground it. Easy do-it-yourself fix. His helper wasn't the sharpest tool with him that day. He didn't tie any cables down and re-wired my home theater the way he thought it should be. My TV wouldn't do HDMI and they blamed it on Samsung. I fixed it by unchecking the 480p resolution on the box and ONLY selecting 1080i. Problem solved. Again, easy fix if you educate yourself about how it should be.

If you can't figure it out, ask here, but search first. Most people are glad to help. You won't be the first with that problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts