HR20 portability?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ricks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
I have MPEG4 service at my second place in the mountains but no DVR.

Now that they've added the new channels, if I sign up at my primary home in S. Florida and get the HD DVR, can I just take it with me and use it when I'm at the second home in the mountains? If so, what changes do I have to make. Zip code, for sure. Will the access card I would use in S. Florida work 700 miles away at a different location? Would the access card in the existing MPEG4 receiver (not DVR) in the mountains work in the HD DVR brought from down south?

You get my drift with the above...will this work and, if so, what do I have to do to make it work? Thanks for any help.

I'm getting the feeling this isn't something I should have asked. I've tried to Google for an answer and haven't found anything directly on point. Some "close" things talk about theft of service.

I'm not trying to steal anything. I will pay for all service at both locations. I'm just trying to only buy/lease (I don't understand this aspect...why I have to buy a receiver and also pay a lease and apparently don't own it) one HD DVR since I would never be using two DVR's at two different locations at the same time.

Is what I want to do technically illegal, as far as Direc is concerned?

Technically, you only need 1 decoder box (HD DVR). As long as you have the correct satellite dish (5LNB) you can take the box anywhere that you have an aligned 5LNB dish. The access card is "connected" to the decoder box, not the Dish. So you could cancel the service for the Non-DVR box and carry the DVR box to and from the mountains.

Hope that this helped.

Last edited:
The card is married to the receiver and will only work in that receiver. Because of spot beams some channels that work in Fl. will not work 700 miles away. Technically if your box is authorized for 1 location(FL) and you have more than 1 receiver at that location, taking 1 receiver to a different location violates your term of service. Using the 1 account at more than 1 location, but you have to get caught before they can enforce their agreement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)