HR20 - Release in August (LA to be the first)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ebonovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=202

This is the formal response from DirecTV to the Forbes and Swani articles over the last couple days.

Plus it is from a DirecTV spokes person (not just a "shill" :D in the forums), that the August 2006 will be the commercial introduction of the DirecTV HR20

Last edited:
I just edited the original post... I sometimes type to fast for my own good.

My guess is their idea of waiting until they have a large enough inventory to roll out to meet demand has been tossed. The media and the message boards have been bashing them for far too long and they have to get something on the market. It'll be FIFO for each of the new markets until Spring.

landlocked said:
My guess is their idea of waiting until they have a large enough inventory to roll out to meet demand has been tossed. The media and the message boards have been bashing them for far too long and they have to get something on the market. It'll be FIFO for each of the new markets until Spring.

I doubt the media and boards had anything to do with it. Back in very early 2006 they were saying a fall 06 release date; the media and boards are just too impatient for their own good.

landlocked said:

Don't think so! Earl (and others BTW) have already mentioned numerous times August commercial launch as well as rollout beginning in L.A.

As far as inventory, probably not much different than when the H10-250 launched.

Bottom line - it is being delivered within its original expected timeframe.

Way to go D*!

vurbano said:
Where is the media center? The whole house HD solution promised?

Please start a thread with THAT as its topic - if thats the discussion you want to have. You seem to never be happy with ANYTHING they do - I wish I could understand why that is.

Why invade a thread with good news with other off-topic negativism? I don't get it.

Maybe I am missing something....but what does it matter where they are "rolling" them out first. Aren't dealers going to get a hold of them to sell them to a national market as soon as anyone gets them in LA? At the very least I am sure we will see them on ebay very soon.

If they are rolling them out in one area then they are just opening the beta testing a little more.

When they are REALLY released you will be able to get it anywhere in the country.

I don't consider this a "release" of the new DVR, just an expanded beta test.

It doesnt sound like a public beta test going by that news story, of course everytime directv releases a receiver its a public beta test because they are so buggy, though unofficially.

But I wonder if there will be restrictions on "moving" the units the LA people get to other parts of the country.

Questioner said:
Maybe I am missing something....but what does it matter where they are "rolling" them out first. Aren't dealers going to get a hold of them to sell them to a national market as soon as anyone gets them in LA? At the very least I am sure we will see them on ebay very soon.

Since these will be leased you wouldn't be able to sell them on Ebay, would you?

It is within DirecTV capabilities to limit DMAs that can use any of these devices anyhow. They can 'target' by spotbeam where the firmwhere needed to operate the DVR is sent, or can send down 'blocking' code to disable it also if they chose to .

ScoBuck said:
Please start a thread with THAT as its topic - if thats the discussion you want to have. You seem to never be happy with ANYTHING they do - I wish I could understand why that is.

Why invade a thread with good news with other off-topic negativism? I don't get it.
Try the ignore list, it works for me... unless folks quote him.... like you :)

f300v10 said:
Try the ignore list, it works for me... unless folks quote him.... like you :)

You know - I forgot that! I already know how well that feature works - I got ONE other person on it - and its fantastic. Thanks for the reminder. :hatsoff:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts