Status
Please reply by conversation.

ebonovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
I have gotten confirmation that the HR20 is going to have both:

Internal SATA connection for the Hard Drive
External SATA connection for future expanision of storage devices.

Thanks for the info Earl~! Guess I should quit buying cheap PATA drives. I am getting an H20 in two days ... but the HR20 is the prize. Any ideas what the price point will be for this unit?

Earl I am hearing some conflicting data from contacts about the 2 OTA tuners one tells me only 1 OTA tuner will be enabled at launch and another is telling me they will both work, what have you heard?

I have heard "ATSC tuners" plural in that, but I haven't got confirmation of my question if it really is 1 or 2.

I have not heard or seen anything remotely close to confirmed pricing for the HR20

YankeeFan said:
If it's anything even remotely near the POS that the R15 is, then I'm switching to Dish!

Then don't delay call Dish Network today.

The UI and core feature set will be nearly identical that of the R15.

ebonovic said:
The UI and core feature set will be nearly identical that of the R15.
That is really, really bad news Earl. I love my HR10-250 and I hated the R15. The H20 is tolerable because there are no DVR functions, but I scrapped my R15 within like 72 hours becuase it is so bad, as compared to a TiVo AND UltimateTV.

cal87 said:
Any word if it will have a native resolution output mode?
The H20 does so it is likely that the HR20 would also.

It took me probably a month to get used to the UI of the R15...

Now it is starting to become just as easy (to me) to use the UI..

That UI design is the UI for pretty much all of the next generation equipment from DirecTv.. HR20, HR20P, and the Home Media Center

I dont mind the H20. Took me a bit to get used to Windows Media Center but I figured that out too. I had a Dish 942 and eventually figured that one too. The D* Tivo is still the best but like anything, I will get used to whatever new device. My wife is another story. Its Tivo or highway. We will be keeping at least one HD Tivo no matter what.

ebonovic said:
It took me probably a month to get used to the UI of the R15...

Now it is starting to become just as easy (to me) to use the UI..

That UI design is the UI for pretty much all of the next generation equipment from DirecTv.. HR20, HR20P, and the Home Media Center

Q. What is the HR20P ?
Is this the DVR ? I have never seen the letter P with it, till now, what does it designate ?

Thanks,
Jimbo

JAG72 said:
The HR20P is the professional model of the DVR.
Is that the version that the everyday customer will be able to purchase ?
Thanks Jag72,
I wonder if they will come out with more than one of these models ? a second with addl features, like a larger HD ect.

Q. Is there any way yet to take info we have recorded on the HD and put it on
a DVD ?

I doubt that the unit will have a firewire connection.

Just a thought

Jimbo

Brewer4 said:
My wife is another story. Its Tivo or highway. We will be keeping at least one HD Tivo no matter what.
I feel ya man. I know I'll be getting a a 26" HDTV for the master bedroom to keep the HR10-250 running.

I guess the real point of the matter is that we had better get used to it, good or bad. We have known for years that DirecTV wants more control and they have it though design of their own products. I hae been dinking with my H20 tonight and it is 1,000 time faster than the R15, but again, no ability to record HD.

On the topic of the thread, that I somewhat derailed, the SATA ports are great news. With control, perhaps D* will be less restrictive with expansion, we know a "pocketD*" will follow ... stupid me, thought I'd get to use my PSP for this. Keep the updates rolling Earl.

The HR20P, is as he said.. the professional model..

But to use a baseball term... Think HR20 on steroids.
It is designed to be in a RACK mount, and has a front LCD-TV on it...

It is not for the "average" consumer... it would fall in line with those intrested in Titanium package.

As for to a DVD:
Well with Toshiba Releasing an HD-DVD Recorder in a few weeks......

No firewire connections on the units.

ebonovic said:
The HR20P, is as he said.. the professional model..

But to use a baseball term... Think HR20 on steroids.
It is designed to be in a RACK mount, and has a front LCD-TV on it...

It is not for the "average" consumer... it would fall in line with those intrested in Titanium package.

As for to a DVD:
Well with Toshiba Releasing an HD-DVD Recorder in a few weeks......

No firewire connections on the units.

Thanks ebonovic,
So the HR20P sounds like a commercial unit kinda like the sport bars would use.

As for the Toshiba you mentioned, HD DVD Recorder, that sounds great, it would be a stand alone, but you cannot put the HD D* receiver signal into it and it doesn't have anything to accept D* or DISH programming, Correct ?
So it would be great for OTA recording, but as you mentioned, no firewire connections, so there is no way to input a HD signal (outside of OTA if that).

So this is the newer version of the Sony HD Recorder that has been out for a while.

With the Toshiba, can you record to a HD DVR or is it Hard drive based only?

Just curious

Status
Please reply by conversation.