HR20 vs HR21 vs HR10-250 & Multiswitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pgrovetom

Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm just looking to setting up my first HD Directv system. I've been using Hughes TIVO DVRs for SD and I wanted to get some ideas on HD DVRs and system setup.

I installed a 5 LNB AU9 dish and am trying to decide on receivers and how to arrange my system.

In looking at the HR20 and HR-21 DVR receivers, I noticed the HR21 does not provide an HDMI output. Is anyone aware of any advantages to the HR21 that would outweigh it not having an HDMI output besides price?

Is the old TIVO style HR10-250 worth considering since I see them available used on Ebay?

Can anyone recommend a Multiswitch that will allow me to operate 3 HD DVRs ( HR10-250 or HR20 or HR21 ) and one receiver for a total of 4 receivers? I want to be able to watch and record on all DVRs and the receivers so that means I need 7 feeds ( 2 per DVR and 1 for the receiver = 7).

If I have two coaxes going to each DVR location, is their any way to Diplex an off air signal onto one of the 2 DVR coaxes or will I need 3 coaxes and keep them separate and simply run a split off-air coax directly to my Samsung and Panasonic HD TVs.

Thanks for any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm just looking to setting up my first HD Directv system. I've been using Hughes TIVO DVRs for SD and I wanted to get some ideas on HD DVRs and system setup.

I installed a 5 LNB AU9 dish and am trying to decide on receivers and how to arrange my system.

In looking at the HR20 and HR-21 DVR receivers, I noticed the HR21 does not provide an HDMI output. Is anyone aware of any advantages to the HR21 that would outweigh it not having an HDMI output besides price?
HR21 DOES have HDMI out. It does NOT have built in off air tuner, for that you need to purchase the AM21 off air add on, or get the HR20

Is the old TIVO style HR10-250 worth considering since I see them available used on Ebay?
Not worth considering at all, as Directv is making a transition to MPEG4 for HD, and HR10-250 is MPEG2

Can anyone recommend a Multiswitch that will allow me to operate 3 HD DVRs ( HR10-250 or HR20 or HR21 ) and one receiver for a total of 4 receivers? I want to be able to watch and record on all DVRs and the receivers so that means I need 7 feeds ( 2 per DVR and 1 for the receiver = 7).
Yes, it is called a Zinwell WB68. It is the standard switch used with the AU9 for more than 4 ouputs. It will provide you with 8 total.

If I have two coaxes going to each DVR location, is their any way to Diplex an off air signal onto one of the 2 DVR coaxes or will I need 3 coaxes and keep them separate and simply run a split off-air coax directly to my Samsung and Panasonic HD TVs.

If you can run a third line, that is preferrable. Because of the b-band converters used with the MPEG4 receivers, you cannot easily use diplexers with this setup. In a pinch, it is possible however. You have to inject the offair after the b-band converter. As this usually requires the b-band converter to be located at or near the switch, you need to be concerned about weatherproofing, as the b-band converter is not weatherproof.

Thanks for any ideas?

You're welcome :)

Last edited:
I appreciate the DIY attitude, but did you realize you can get both the 5-LNB dish and the multi-switch free (including installation) if you upgrade to one of the new receivers through DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)