HR20 + Wireless

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Gang...

Can we do wireless networking with the HDDVRs yet? I think I know the answer, but I've been out of the loop for a while.

Thanks,
Riggs

You can connect a Wireless Gaming Adapter or Wireless Ethernet Bridge to the ethernet port. I am using a Buffalo bridge for Media Share (and hopefully VOD soon).

I've been using a Linksys WRT-54G flashed with freeware 3rd-party firmware as a wireless bridge. The router/wireless-bridge allows me to connect multiple components to it, rather than 1 bridge for each device. Currently have HR20 and HD-DVD player connected. The HR20 does a decent job of accessing iTunes content without having to use an iPod dock connector.

Sweet.

Can the HR20 use WPA, or must it use WEP?

Using the wireless bridge it's a non-issue. The bridge router is configured to do the authentication. The Linksys supports WEP and WPA.

I've been using a Linksys WRT-54G flashed with freeware 3rd-party firmware as a wireless bridge. The router/wireless-bridge allows me to connect multiple components to it, rather than 1 bridge for each device. Currently have HR20 and HD-DVD player connected. The HR20 does a decent job of accessing iTunes content without having to use an iPod dock connector.

The Buffalo wireless bridge has 4 ethernet connections, although it is more expensive than hacking a router.

The Buffalo wireless bridge has 4 ethernet connections, although it is more expensive than hacking a router.

I believe that the free 3rd-party firmware runs on Linksys, Buffalo, and other devices. In some ways it's like a GUI-tweaker, gives easy access to parameters you normally would not be able to access.

I cooked my old WRT54G doing a 3rd party flash

That's a well-known and well-documented risk. I've done it to (3) units and had no problems. It's more tricky with the newer wrt54g units, they have half the memory of the earlier revisions so you need a small-footprint binary. One of mine is a rev-6, it was a pain to re-flash from the oem image.

What does the networking add with the HR20 exactly?

At least for now, the ability to play music and view pictures stored on your computer.

Would have been nice if the lan port replaced the phone line, and if it would support downloading code updates.... or if it allowed the dvr to distribute video to other units on the lan.

Will you be able to watch what is recorded on a dvr on multiple tv's over the nework?

Status
Please reply by conversation.