HR21...Latest update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Hey Guys,

How is everyone? I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a bit of lagging and sluggishness in the HR21's after the latest update. It seems like it takes a few second to run simple commands like pulling up menus, or changing channels. I wish I never received this update as I don't have a 3D capable TV and have no plans on getting one (one of worst ideas for televisions in years). Anyway, I love DirectTV's programming, but the equipment seems like it has too much going on for processor and receiver's rsources to handle when they add new features like this that require a lot of memory.

I have HR20's in two other rooms and an HR21 in my living room. I really could use a IRD upgrade if there is a faster and more reliable HD DVR out there from DirectTV. When does the new DirectTV tivo come out. I had an old HD Tivo from DirecTV that I paid $800 for a while back and now it's useless because it can't get the HD programming. Was a huge waste of money, but they made it up to me with free HDDVR's a while back.

As a side note; I have been a directv customer for 20 years. I love that they continue to add HD channels and they don't just sit idle while cable and Dish try to catch up. I also love the fact that I was able to get rid of the $10 monthly fee for the next two years. I still don't feel like there is a whole lot of customer loyalty when I call customer service unless I speak to customer rententions.

Thanks for all this forum does. It's a great reference for anything regarding DirectTV...

Louie

I have an HR21....it sucks. Always has. It pails in comparison to my HR20 and especially to my HR24. If you can find an HR24 on Amazon or somewhere, buy it...best investment I have made in a while....

I have an HR21....it sucks. Always has. It pails in comparison to my HR20 and especially to my HR24. If you can find an HR24 on Amazon or somewhere, buy it...best investment I have made in a while....
Can I buy an HR24 on ebay or amazon and activate it without renewing my contract?

Can I buy an HR24 on ebay or amazon and activate it without renewing my contract?

Sorry; most likely all are leased and activation will extend commitment by 24 months. Too expensive for purchase/ownership but leasing is reasonable after you get past the, "What, I have to pay to lease?!!!

Directv will most likely tell you to get the HR24 from outside source as they cannot guarantee a HR24 if ordering a HD-DVR. To swap the HR21, just ask for a return box and shipping label when your HR24 arrives. I thought I was the only who had to call Directv twice to return a HD-DVR but others have said the same.

Sorry; most likely all are leased and activation will extend commitment by 24 months. Too expensive for purchase/ownership but leasing is reasonable after you get past the, "What, I have to pay to lease?!!!

Directv will most likely tell you to get the HR24 from outside source as they cannot guarantee a HR24 if ordering a HD-DVR. To swap the HR21, just ask for a return box and shipping label when your HR24 arrives. I thought I was the only who had to call Directv twice to return a HD-DVR but others have said the same.
I don;t get it. If I buy it from another source, that means that receiver is leased?

I'm sure there are others that can explain this better than myself. I don't mind the lease thing because I don't want to invest money in expensive DVRs that have the potential to break so often or be outdated next month.

Providers started doing this to reduce up-front costs. To buy a HR24 may exceed (IDK? $750?) but you'd still pay the $5 mirror fee which is still the same as the lease fee. Owned DVRs are no cheaper to operate month to month, so I see no point in purchasing one if it can't pay for itself in the long term.

I guess the 24 month contract is a little hard to accept. I'm guessing with Directv dropping the HD access fee and effectively discounting the upgrade cost, I would likely be staying with Directv for the next two years anyway. BTW, Directv told me that if a HR24 were to be replaced, HR24's are to be replaced with HR24's. This is due to the internal DECA. Directv does not want to get into sending HR20-23 with DECA adapter to replace a HR24 and ask the subscriber to accept and install themselves.

No way the Chinese made HR24 is worth $750. I would guess cost is less than $150.

You can buy the Dish equivalent ViP612 for around $200 and you actually own it - no commitment.

Directv`s lease system is flawed.

i recently returned my HR21 to directv. always sucked since day 1. HR24 RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way the Chinese made HR24 is worth $750. I would guess cost is less than $150.

You can buy the Dish equivalent ViP612 for around $200 and you actually own it - no commitment.

A ViP 612 is the equivalent of the HR24? You are absolutely delirious.

I'm sure there are others that can explain this better than myself. I don't mind the lease thing because I don't want to invest money in expensive DVRs that have the potential to break so often or be outdated next month.

Providers started doing this to reduce up-front costs. To buy a HR24 may exceed (IDK? $750?) but you'd still pay the $5 mirror fee which is still the same as the lease fee. Owned DVRs are no cheaper to operate month to month, so I see no point in purchasing one if it can't pay for itself in the long term.

I guess the 24 month contract is a little hard to accept. I'm guessing with Directv dropping the HD access fee and effectively discounting the upgrade cost, I would likely be staying with Directv for the next two years anyway. BTW, Directv told me that if a HR24 were to be replaced, HR24's are to be replaced with HR24's. This is due to the internal DECA. Directv does not want to get into sending HR20-23 with DECA adapter to replace a HR24 and ask the subscriber to accept and install themselves.

Armchair,
Very good post and explanation :up

Peano,
When the HR20's first came out you could still buy them, they ran in the $750-850 range.

When the HR Tivo first came out, people were buying them for $ 1000.

The current "Leasing " plan is a great idea, although I fought it in the beginning as I owned ALL my equipment, I like the idea that everything is covered, even shipping if you have the PP.
Often they will Ship the recvr to your door.
Awhile back D* would NOT do this as they wanted an installer on every job, eventually I push the issue when I needed a replacement due to not wanting to have to take time off work. Also the fact that awhile back it was not uncommon for them to MISS the commitment when you had taken the day off.

Also, You say that the Leased system is Flawed, how so ?
It came directly from DISH Network, D* saw that DISH's lease program was working and eventually implemented it back in '06

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts