Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this in my inbox. :)

Looks like the HR21 is going to get an external USB OTA Tuner in Early 2008. :)

HR21-ATSC SOLUTION Supply Chain and Engineering are working on an ATSC solution for the HR21. The solution will be external to the unit (not integrated) and is on target to be available in early 2008. Your voices have been heard and we will keep you posted on next steps and timing. Please contact your Director or Regional Vice President if you have any comments or concerns.

Is this going to be a single tuner or dual tuner solution? Will you be able to record or just watch the channels?

This is such a stupid problem that directv backed itself into. There was no reason to strip the tuners from the HR series in the first place. There is no reason why if they felt they had to create a DVR without tuners($$$) that they couldn't set up a system where they ask you up front when you order an HD DVR-Do you need OTA? Yes->we'll send you an HR20, No->we'll send you an HR21.

This just seems like a company that no longer listens to its customers or does the opposite like that wireless phone commercial.

Do you like TIVO? YES---->Let's get rid of them.
Do you like Dual Live Buffers? Yes----->We don't need this feature.
Do you need OTA reception? Yes------->Bye, Bye here too.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are planning on making the USB port live on the HR-20-700 as well??
and if there will be other USB devs connected as well?? interesting if it happens
to enable the long dormant USB connections.

Likely what they intended all along. Save money up-front and only provided to users that request. Although I think the OTA should always be included in the DBS box, they should make it more clear that it is the end user's responsibility to provide the correct antenna and to maintain same.

If I had to guess, it will be a single OTA tuner salution, which will plug into the USB port. If a customer wants it they will need to buy the OTA USB tuner.

I personally think it was dumb move of DirecTV to remove the tuner from the receiver. DirecTV does not carry 100% of the HD signals for ANY area, the idea to remove this feature while it may look good to the bean counters at DirecTV, the issue this causes for their customers is no cost saving to DirecTV.

This just seems like a company that no longer listens to its customers.

Do you like TIVO? YES---->Let's get rid of them.
Do you like Dual Live Buffers? Yes----->We don't need this feature.
Do you need OTA reception? Yes------->Bye, Bye here too.

I left in September and haven't looked back. For those EXACT reasons. :)

I am actually enjoying the fanboys over at dBSforums try to explain how it wasn't a HUGE screwup on D*'s part not to include something as basic as an OTA tuner when they KNOW the whole US isn't covered with all the OTA channels..but hell they don't even want to give the HR20 owner the ability to SCAN for OTA channels in their DMA, so why this surprises me I'll never know.:)

Early 2008, we know what that means in sat speak.

Utter BS, good job D*. I hope my HR20 holds out until HD lils are out.

Thanks for the info Scott.

I left in September and haven't looked back. For those EXACT reasons. :)

I am actually enjoying the fanboys over at dBSforums try to explain how it wasn't a HUGE screwup on D*'s part not to include something as basic as an OTA tuner when they KNOW the whole US isn't covered with all the OTA channels..but hell they don't even want to give the HR20 owner the ability to SCAN for OTA channels in their DMA, so why this surprises me I'll never know.:)

How do you input the OTA channels if the box can't scan for them? Do you just input 7-1 and hope your channel is there?

I am actually enjoying the fanboys over at dBSforums try to explain how it wasn't a HUGE screwup on D*'s part not to include something as basic as an OTA tuner

They are throwing out phrases like:
Directv is in the satellite business not in the OTA business and
Have faith that the add on solution will work

That's the same thing they started out saying about DLB-we're working on it, trust us. Then it became they can implement it but they don't want to and I know why but I'm not at liberty to tell you.

I'm still with Directv because DISH doesn't carry YES network. Thats the only thing keeping me tied to them. Cablevision is just not an option. I wish Directv would act more like a company that cared more about it's customers. When they get really big they start doing what they want and not provide what their customers want.

I am cringing about the first time my wife complains about the new HR20 after it gets installed and says why it does not work as well as the HDTIVO its replacing.

Last edited:
You know I installed 20 HR21 in the past 2 weeks. Only 1 person asked about OTA.

Its really about them taking the choice away from the customers that want it. You should be able to order an HR20 if you want OTA and not have to rely on the luck of the draw or head out on a scavenger mission to your local BIg Box retailer.

Its really about them taking the choice away from the customers that want it. You should be able to order an HR20 if you want OTA and not have to rely on the luck of the draw or head out on a scavenger mission to your local BIg Box retailer.

You would just be surprised how many people don't care.

You would just be surprised how many people don't care.

Absolutely right. As members of this forum, we all share a much greater interest in satellite TV than most people. I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of D* subscribers don't even know/care about these forums. All they care about is being able to turn their set on and being able to watch TV. They don't care about the HR20 vs HR21 - most folks wouldn't want to install another antenna on the roof to receive OTA anyways.

We have a passion for these things (that's why we're here reading these posts). Most people do not. D* knows this and develops products accordingly. If they can save themselves $$ by producing a unit without an OTA tuner, then providing an external unit for the (very) few people who ask for it, then it's good business sense, right?

All most of us here want is to be able to specify HR20 vs HR21. The general masses can get all the HR21 boxes they want. But if I call and say I want a new DVR, I want to be able to request an HR20. That should be simple enough to do. Directv saves money on the 99% of the population that doesn't care and I get the box I want/need.

All most of us here want is to be able to specify HR20 vs HR21. The general masses can get all the HR21 boxes they want. But if I call and say I want a new DVR, I want to be able to request an HR20. That should be simple enough to do. Directv saves money on the 99% of the population that doesn't care and I get the box I want/need.

My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the HR20 is being discontinued in favor of the HR21. When you look at the D* web site, click "Receivers" and check out "HD DVR" there is no mention of OTA capability. If D* is shipping out HR20s to the installers, most are probably refurbs.

You may want to specify an HR20, but I doubt that D* has the ability to check each installers inventory for availability. As a courtesy, they should be able to note your preference on the installation order, but, in general, I have no problem with D*'s position.

Like you stated, most of us here want to specify which unit they receive. However, we are just a flyspeck in the overall D* subscriber base. You want personalized customer service, but D* is not a mom and pop operation - they added over 250,000 new subscribers last quarter alone. You may "want" something, but a huge company like D* may not be willing/able to provide it to you. Sadly, that's just the way it is...

Ordered Yesterday, Requested HR20

The CSR told me she would annotate my sales order with info that I am requesting an HR20. She said I can cancel if the installer does not have an HR20.

In Dallas you can't about have of the Dallas Mavericks games if you don't have OTA! Not to mention all the other channels you lose.

I find the fact that they dropped OTA crazy.

Wish me luck. I really want the new HD channels even though I have to give up my HDTIVO.

Since they're offering an add-on OTA tuner for the HR21, then it's only a matter of time (probably short) before they introduce a true successor to the HR20.

If I had to guess, it will be a single OTA tuner salution, which will plug into the USB port. If a customer wants it they will need to buy the OTA USB tuner.

I personally think it was dumb move of DirecTV to remove the tuner from the receiver. DirecTV does not carry 100% of the HD signals for ANY area, the idea to remove this feature while it may look good to the bean counters at DirecTV, the issue this causes for their customers is no cost saving to DirecTV.
Back in March 2007 at Directv Revolution I told Morris Bekas (Director Independent Dealer Development) that the H & HR21 needed OTA tuners. He told me they were saving $35/receiver by dropping the tuner. How much is this going to cost? The simple solution is just renew the contract with RCA to continue the HR20 in production. Maybe this shotsightedness is what caused Morris to leave D* after many years.

How do you input the OTA channels if the box can't scan for them? Do you just input 7-1 and hope your channel is there?

Currently you enter 1 or 2 zip codes and it pulls a channel listing from D*s database of channels you SHOULD get. If the channel is not in the database however - you can't get it no matter how strong the signal. Or like a problem I had, even though my FOX channel was listed, their PSIP data was wrong and the HR20 ignored it and would not pull it in (I was successful in getting FOX to fix their problem).

If the HR20s could scan, you could pull in channels not in their database or in situations where the data mismatched.

There is a DMA setup. you put your Primary and ( if you want) secondary zipcode in there and it D/L's info from them about what channels you SHOULD see. Never mind if you are in three different areas that you can get your OTA from, you'll take what they give and LIKE it. :)

The Hr10-250 was simple. Hit scan, and whatever signals your antenna got, you had. And it was smart enough to go get the guide data for you for the channels it scanned, too.

But, But,But..the HR20 is an UPGRADE! Gimme a break. :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)