HR21pro and 2 year commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
North of the TwinCities
I realize that the HR21Pro is an owned receiver but does it require a 2 year commitment to receive programming?

I'm getting conflicting reports from customer service so I wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't know the exact answer, but you will be under some sort of commitment. I would guess it would still be the 2 year or 18 month. (They always want to make sure they'll get money out of subscribers)

Actually, there have been isolated reports where people received an HR21 Pro as a replacement for a defective receiver, meaning it remains leased.

If you outright purchase the HR21 Pro, i.e. $500 range, then it is an owned unit.

When you call to activate service, you need to be very clear that they understand you purchased the unit in full, have it logged as a owned unit. If you own your equipment, and they don't have to install anything (i.e. dish), there should be no contract obligation.

You may have trouble getting a CSR that is familiar with this setup, and you should expect to be transfered once or twice. It won't be a common setup for the CSR.

Still, I believe there is no commitment require on receivers paid in full (non-lease owned receivers, i.e. $500+) and no installation paid by D*.

In that sense, you're just paying for the programming, and D* has no upfront costs.

u are right on the reciever part but dtv also requires a 24 or 18 month programming package comitment as well

I have my own receiver's and I have been with directv for 3months and I'm not under contract for any length of time strictly month to month you are not under their thumb for programming if you own your own stuff...period

Last edited:
I have my own receiver's and I have been with directv for 3months and I'm not under contract for any length of time strictly month to month you are not under their thumb for programming if you own your own stuff...period

But if you own more than one receiver you have probably paid more than the commitment would have been (yes, there are exceptions).

Status
Please reply by conversation.