HR22-700 junk

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not any channels I want.

I don't care about Over-priced Premium Movie Channels.
I prefer the MLBnet channel over those others as well. These channels are a matter of choice and have nothing to do with which provider or DVR is better. There will be Dish subs that can make the argument that they have more channels that they like, so this is a somewhat moot point.

I prefer the MLBnet channel over those others as well. These channels are a matter of choice and have nothing to do with which provider or DVR is better. There will be Dish subs that can make the argument that they have more channels that they like, so this is a somewhat moot point.

The DVR is irrelevent if they don't have the channel you want.

My choices are limited because of it. My local cable company has an even bigger p.o.s. if you can believe that. So thanks DTV for nothing.
Have you looked at Dish? Their users seem to like the DVR's they provide. Although if you like sports, you might find yourself complaining on the E* forum about the lack of sports programming.

Typical response. When one is losing or shown to be wrong in a discussion or debate they often resort to making personal remarks or name calling. Never fails...

Quite fascinating, since it never occurred to me that either of us was trying to prove the other wrong. Nor did I make any personal remarks or call any names In fact, since you responded to my reply to someone else, I mistakenly thought it was the same guy answering me. You guys all look alike.

But trust, had I wanted to prove you wrong with whatever disagreement you think we were having, you'd look wrong.

So help me out here...what point did you think were we disputing in which you somehow feel you made me look wrong?

To be honest, the only people I have encountered that have had problems with their HRs are those on these tech sites. The dozens I know personally do not have the problems related to the questions you asked.
Strangely, I personally know lots of people with HR's (and tivo's and dish boxes) and most of them regularly have problems with them just like I do. The best combination based on my admittedly small sample size is a tivo hd with cable. I hardly ever hear any complaints about them. The directv users seem to have the most trouble. I guess that lines up with the user ratings from the review sites that I compiled.

But they're all experienced dvr users, have esatas, record lots and lots of shows, and have high utilization patterns.

Sorry, I'm still trying to be constructive here and looking for ways to explain why people have different experiences with the product. I'm terribly sorry for wasting your time.

Quite fascinating, since it never occurred to me that either of us was trying to prove the other wrong.
Then this post must not have been one you used to try to prove your point while showing that us fanboys are wrong?

And yet, here you are! Actually I see many posts here, on dbstalk and at tivocommunity praising their respective products and services. That doesnt make someone who has had problems experiences less legitimate, does it?

Does that mean you've never had any issues, or just none that you feel compelled to mention? You've never rebooted your box, never had it freeze up or slow down? Never had it fail to record a show? Never had a guide data glitch? You werent a subscriber last year when directv sent out an update that locked up many customers boxes and they had to send out another update a few days later to correct it? You werent a subscriber last year when directv set the time and date to six months in the future and many customers boxes didnt record their shows for several hours to several days?

Interesting roundup of reviews. For some reason it seems that the dish network and tivo people show up to say they like their gear in much larger volumes than directv boxes. So it seems that people WILL show up to give a favorable review. Just less so if you own a directv box.

HR20
Cnet rating **
Epinions rating **
Amazon rating **

Tivo HD
Cnet rating ***
epinions rating ***
Amazon rating ****

Dish VIP 622
Cnet rating ***
Epinions *** 1/2
Amazon rating ***

I often write favorable reviews, along with unfavorable ones, because I like to share my good and bad experiences. My review of directv HR's is that if you've never used a DVR and/or are a current directv user, you'll probably find the HR2x a good product. If you're a dish or tivo user looking at the directv box as greener grass...I think you'll be frustrated and/or disappointed. If you're a heavy dvr user, I think you might find yourself very unhappy.

Its definitely better now than it was a 6-12 months from now, but its still a work in progress.
Nor did I make any personal remarks or call any names In fact, since you responded to my reply to someone else, I mistakenly thought it was the same guy answering me.
The use of the word fanboy and these false assumptions about me are not personal? OK...
Actually no, because frankly its not the game I want to play. I have very little interest in pursuing the fanboy ploy. Its quite clear that you feel that since you've had no problems, nobody else will either. And if they do, they ought to keep it to themselves? How unfortunate.

I've had the exact opposite experience that you've had. Somehow you've managed to avoid the dozens of problems that directv has acknowledged and to some degree repaired. Congratulations and good luck.
You guys all look alike.
We do?
image.php
image.php

But trust, had I wanted to prove you wrong with whatever disagreement you think we were having, you'd look wrong.
OK...

I am wrong. I have had lots of problems and you can prove.
So help me out here...what point did you think were we disputing in which you somehow feel you made me look wrong?
Since your first post on this thread
Strangely, I personally know lots of people with HR's (and tivo's and dish boxes) and most of them regularly have problems with them just like I do. The best combination based on my admittedly small sample size is a tivo hd with cable. I hardly ever hear any complaints about them. The directv users seem to have the most trouble. I guess that lines up with the user ratings from the review sites that I compiled.
The TiVos are the worst boxes I have used and have seen. They have the most complicated and cumbersome UI, a horrible guide and menu display, and more software issues than any receiver I have seen.
But they're all experienced dvr users, have esatas, record lots and lots of shows, and have high utilization patterns.
That just maybe the issue. Anytime most hardware is used above the level as the typical user, those individuals will probably experience more problems than the typical user.
Sorry, I'm still trying to be constructive here and looking for ways to explain why people have different experiences with the product. I'm terribly sorry for wasting your time.
Not a waste of time at all. This discussion is helpful, believe it or not.

Have you looked at Dish? Their users seem to like the DVR's they provide. Although if you like sports, you might find yourself complaining on the E* forum about the lack of sports programming.
I believe he is a Dish sub??? :confused:

If I want to record MLB network on the DISH DVR how would you do that?
The same way you record these on D*
I'd rather have these channels with a good working HD DVR with a lower monthly cost as options over MLB Network anyday.

1. Travel HD
  2. WGN HD
  3. WFN HD
  4. Mav HD
  5. FTV HD
  6. BET Jazz HD
  7. Hallmark Movies HD
  8. Lifetime HD
  9. LOGO HD
  10. Lifetime Movies HD
  11. Encore HD
  12. HBO Zone HD
  13. HBO 2 HD
  14. HBO Signature HD
  15. HBO Family HD
  16. HBO Comedy HD
  17. Action Max HD
  18. 5 Star Max HD

Then this post must not have been one you used to try to prove your point while showing that us fanboys are wrong?

Looks to me like a post filled with subjective review data and some questions to try to ascertain why we have different experiences.

There were some assertions made that the complaints about the directv product are unfounded and dismissable because people only complain about products on the internet and only write bad reviews. Yet the available data seems to suggest thats not the case. Do you have some different non-anecdotal data?

According to the data, over hundreds of reviews spread across multiple review sites, the directv dvr is the worst rated among its peers. Either thats the case, directv users are twice as likely to complain about their product than the others, or the other products users are twice as likely to praise their product of choice.

I'm sure that bearing out the second and third options would make for one very interesting behavioral study.

The use of the word fanboy and these false assumptions about me are not personal? OK...
You used the word to describe yourself first. Is this one of those situations where you can use the "f' word and its okay, but if I use it, its objectionable?

Yep. You're a couple of guys that arent adding to the conversation. By interjecting the "I dont have any problems", you're neither supporting nor negating the experience of the OP.

This is like someone saying "A wheel fell off my car today!" and you saying "Not me! I've never had a wheel fall off my car!"

Thanks for the input.

Once again, I congratulate you on your good luck in avoiding the dozens and dozens of problems that directv has fixed over the years, documented in release notes, and/or readily admit exist and will be fixed at some point in the future. I havent been so lucky.

I'd rather have these channels with a good working HD DVR with a lower monthly cost as options over MLB Network anyday.

1. Travel HD
  2. WGN HD
  3. WFN HD
  4. Mav HD
  5. FTV HD
  6. BET Jazz HD
  7. Hallmark Movies HD
  8. Lifetime HD
  9. LOGO HD
  10. Lifetime Movies HD
  11. Encore HD
  12. HBO Zone HD
  13. HBO 2 HD
  14. HBO Signature HD
  15. HBO Family HD
  16. HBO Comedy HD
  17. Action Max HD
  18. 5 Star Max HD
I warned him not to go down that road. This is a battle that Direct subs cannot win at this moment.

Looks to me like a post filled with subjective review data and some questions to try to ascertain why we have different experiences.

There were some assertions made that the complaints about the directv product are unfounded and dismissable because people only complain about products on the internet and only write bad reviews. Yet the available data seems to suggest thats not the case. Do you have some different non-anecdotal data?

According to the data, over hundreds of reviews spread across multiple review sites, the directv dvr is the worst rated among its peers. Either thats the case, directv users are twice as likely to complain about their product than the others, or the other products users are twice as likely to praise their product of choice.

I'm sure that bearing out the second and third options would make for one very interesting behavioral study.
Then we agree that your goal all along wast to prove a point and falsify the point of the opposition. We are making progress.
You used the word to describe yourself first. Is this one of those situations where you can use the "f' word and its okay, but if I use it, its objectionable?
I did??? :confused: And I am sure you have proof of this?
Then again you don't. Because I did not and this is yet another false assumption on your part.

Using the "quick find" option on Firefox the first mention of "fanboy" was done by talos 4 and the second mention was done by you.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1923146-post45.html

Yep. You're a couple of guys that arent adding to the conversation. By interjecting the "I dont have any problems", you're neither supporting nor negating the experience of the OP.
We are posting our experience with the topic of the thread and answered the questions you posted. We are also posting our experience so that others that read this thread get another perspective, instead of the "HR's are junk". So I guess we are adding to the conversation after all?

Then again, no post here, except from that of the OP has anything to do with the OP's experience.
This is like someone saying "A wheel fell off my car today!" and you saying "Not me! I've never had a wheel fall off my car!"
:confused:

No...saying that the wheels falling off of cars is a big problem with just about most to all owners of a particular car, and then others negating that fact that is is as big of an issue as many want us to believe by demonstrating that the wheels have never fallen off of their car, is the point we were making.

Point demonstrated in your last response in this post
Thanks for the input.
You are welcome. Glad I can assist. ;)
Once again, I congratulate you on your good luck in avoiding the dozens and dozens of problems that directv has fixed over the years, documented in release notes, and/or readily admit exist and will be fixed at some point in the future. I havent been so lucky.
It must have been luck that I have yet to lose the wheel off of my car and luck on the part of many others as well?

Am I aloud to mention it at least? I don't want to inform others on this site, that maybe looking into Direct, that I have yet to lose a wheel. After all, it has nothing to do with the OP's own wheel experience.

If I want to record MLB network on the DISH DVR how would you do that?

Don't think you want to go there as Dish has many channels that Direct does not have and has more channels in HD.

Does DISH have MLB network, wasn't that tied to the MLB EI deal ?
Did they finally get the MLB EI contract straightened out ?

1. Travel HD
  2. WGN HD
  3. WFN HD
  4. Mav HD
  5. FTV HD
  6. BET Jazz HD
  7. Hallmark Movies HD
  8. Lifetime HD
  9. LOGO HD
  10. Lifetime Movies HD
  11. Encore HD
  12. HBO Zone HD
  13. HBO 2 HD
  14. HBO Signature HD
  15. HBO Family HD
  16. HBO Comedy HD
  17. Action Max HD
  18. 5 Star Max HD

I warned him not to go down that road. This is a battle that Direct subs cannot win at this moment.

Yes, but as we all know, that goes back and forth every year, D* adds a lot of channels and then DISH does as well and vice versa.
So D*'s count goes way ahead and so forth ...
It's not even worth comparing anymore , I think there's only a few channels that I watch that are not in HD now, so as far as I'm concerned, all's good in the HD world.

Now if we could get MORE HD on the HD channels that would be good, but that is NOT a D* issue anyways.

Does DISH have MLB network, wasn't that tied to the MLB EI deal ?
Did they finally get the MLB EI contract straightened out ?

No MLB channel on Dish and no EI. Which is on reason I prefer Direct (even though Dish has a better DVR and more HD at the momment.)

Yes, but as we all know, that goes back and forth every year, D* adds a lot of channels and then DISH does as well and vice versa.
So D*'s count goes way ahead and so forth ...
It's not even worth comparing anymore , I think there's only a few channels that I watch that are not in HD now, so as far as I'm concerned, all's good in the HD world.

Now if we could get MORE HD on the HD channels that would be good, but that is NOT a D* issue anyways.

Which is why I said, "...at the momment."

Then we agree that your goal all along wast to prove a point and falsify the point of the opposition. We are making progress.

Sigh. I was wrong. I figured all this time that you just might have mistakenly read something into what I was trying to say and decided to take offense to it when there was no offense to be taken.

Sadly wrong. You are a fanboy. Second opinion? You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

Its about the only explanation as to how someone could turn a legitimate conversation about why some people have problems and others dont into a feeling that you've been personally attacked.

I do realize that a lot of people identify their self worth with their choices of products and services. And I also realize that the directv product and its customers have suffered great self esteem issues for the many years the directv product was sub par compared to the competition.

Dont worry. Its almost as good now. Buck up little camper!:)

According to the data, over hundreds of reviews spread across multiple review sites, the directv dvr is the worst rated among its peers.

Have you consider that Directv has 5 million more subscribers than DISH. Personally, I just dumped Dish and returned to Directv. I will take HR box over 722 any day.

And I also realize that the directv product and its customers have suffered great self esteem issues for the many years the directv product was sub par compared to the competition.

And yet, Directv is adding way more subscribers than Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)