HR22 Pixelation Too Often

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sigmaman99

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Tulare, CA
For the last few months my HR22 has been having pixelation issues often. The fix is to press the reset button but a day or too later I have to reset it again because the pixelation comes back. I have to keep resetting every 2-3 days. I have 2 other DirecTV receivers that do not have this issue so I know it's not a satellite alignment problem or something blocking the signal. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's overheating. Would overheating cause this issue? The summers are hot where I live and the receiver is upstairs where the A/C is off during the day. It's inside an entertainment center so maybe not enough airflow. Is that the issue? What else could it be?

Move the HR22 to one of the other locations and see if the problem moves with the DVR or stays in the room.
Have you checked the HR22 signal strengths and are they the same as the other receivers?
What are the signals, particularly on the 99ca/99cb/103ca/103cb satellites?

Move the HR22 to one of the other locations and see if the problem moves with the DVR or stays in the room.
Have you checked the HR22 signal strengths and are they the same as the other receivers?
What are the signals, particularly on the 99ca/99cb/103ca/103cb satellites?
Yup, all 3 receivers show the same signal strengths. For 99ca none of them acquired a signal, 99cb was 80, 103ca was 60, 103cb was 77. Even if the HR22 had a low signal strength I think the pixelation would be permanent. I don't think a reset can fix a low signal. Pressing the reset button fixes the problem but only a few days.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Sigmaman99!

Sounds like your dish is out of alignment. Some receivers/dvrs are more sensitive to low signal strength than others.

As Chip says, this is almost certainly a dish alignment issue. Those signals are horribly low. Your 99ca/cb/103ca/103cb signals should all be high 80s at least, preferably low to mid 90s. All the tuners have slightly different sensitivities, when you do a reset the DVR usually changes tuners.

OK I will attempt to align the satellite. So as a reference which satellite should I use while aligning? I plan to put the receiver on the signal strength menu while aligning the satellite to get it as close to 100 as possible. Should I use 99ca, 99cb, 103ca, or 103cb?

Start with 101, getting the numbers as close to 100 as possible. Then do the other four you listed.

Yes, the dish is actually aligned on 101 and then the dish geometry brings all the other satellites in. The dishmount MUST be vertically plumb or you will struggle to get alignment. So you start with 101, set the elevation according to your location, set the azimuth to about 10 degrees left of where the coordinates tell you 101 should be, and then slowly scan to the right until the 101 transponders light up. You should have some (not all) transponders at 100. If not, adjust the elevation slowly and see if you can improve the numbers. When you have several transponders at 99/100, check 99ca or cb, and 103ca or cb. They should all be in the high 80s at least, preferably mid 90s. If not make VERY SMALL adjustments with the fine tune controls, first try azimuth then elevation.

It's not worth playing around with 99ca/cb or 103ca/cb unless you have correct alignment on 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts