HR23 HD signal problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
Hey guys...for the past couple weeks I've been having some signal problems on my HR23 DVR. Certain HD channels have extreme signal breakup making those channels unwatchable. Some HD channels are completely fine, like FoxNews....others, like TLCHD, SCIHD and more have issues. SD versions of these channels are completely fine. My first thought was a dish alignment issue, but my non-DVR H23 in my bedroom is completely fine on all HD channels with no signal problems. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the HR23 itself and is not a signal issue. Can anyone shed some light on the possibilities here?? I do have the Protection Plan, so I'm not worried about any possible costs to fix the issue, but I'd like your input from the forum before I call so I can get directly to my issue with the CSR. I have reset the receiver, left it unplugged for 12 hours, SWM power inserter is plugged directly into an outlet(no surge protector) and all cable connections are secure. Any info would be great! Thanks!

Check your signal levels for both boxes, then switch them and check them again. That will tell you if it's the box or lines/connectors. It shouldn't be the lnb since you have a swm with only one line, and I doubt it's the splitter, although it could be.

I will do that. First off, when I look at the signal strength on the HR23, it says Tuner 1 Not Acquired, Tuner 2 93%. tuner 1 Not acquired sounds like a problem. And which satellites should I be checking the strength on? I'm in central VA. It appears Tuner1 Not Acquired is exclusive to Sat 101.

I would check them all, but the 99 and 103 satellites carry the hd channels. 99s and 103s carry spot beams, so don't expect high numbers on all of the transponders. On your HR23, can you record two programs at once or watch one channel while recording on another?

Strange then that you would get "tuner 1 not acquired".

The Tuner 1 Not Acquired seems to be exclusive to the Sat 101. Ok, so initial observations on signal strength on Sat strength on the HR23. 99 Sats are generally in good shape. 99(c) transponders 1-14 are all firm in upper 80s to mid 90's. (99s) is a mix of low 70's to upper 90's, but as stated above, since these are spot beams, I guess that is to be expected. Sat 103 seems to be where I'm having issues. None of my spot beams read higher than 71...most are in the upper 30s to low 50s. 103(ca) are in the upper 70s to low 80s on tuner 1 and low 70s on Tuner 2. 103(cb) range from mid 60s to low 70s on Tuner 1, upper 50s to mid 60s on Tuner2 and all of the signals on 103 Sats are fluctuating higher and lower. The H23 in the bedroom which I have not had any signal issues with shows low to upper 80s on 103(ca), fluctuating a bit, but never out of the 80s. 103(cb) are ranging from the low 60s to mid 70s. Sat 99 on the H23 are giving me generally the same readings as the HR23. I'm really confused!

My H23 in the bedroom is a shorter cable run than the HR23 in the living room by about 15-20 feet. Could it be that extra distance to the living room is where I'm losing that 10-15 signal strength compared to the H23? Maybe I do need a Sat adjustment on 103??

I sounds to me like you need your dish realigned. The extra cable length would only be an issue at lengths over 150' or so.

I sounds to me like you need your dish realigned. The extra cable length would only be an issue at lengths over 150' or so.

While I'm inclined to agree with that, what would account for the signal strength being sufficient on the H23, but not the HR23?

Hard to say, some tuners are more sensitive than others. That's why I suggested switching the boxes and checking the signal levels again to see if it made a difference.

You may have a bad HR23 id the H23 is good. Or you have a cabling or connection issue with the DVR.

Agreed, it is either a bad tuner on the HR23 or a cabling or possibly splitter issue.
That is why raoul said swap the receivers.
In doing so, you will narrow it down in 5 minutes.

If the problem follows the receiver, then it is the receiver.
If the problem stays in the same room, it is a cabling, fittings, or splitter.

Doubt it is an alignment issue since the problem is only on one receiver.

I don't want to start an argument, but I would bet it's an alignment issue.

It certainly could be, but with the issue on the dvr and not the receiver, I think it's more likely a bad tuner in the dvr or a cabling/connector problem.

I don't want to start an argument, but I would bet it's an alignment issue.

No argument and not throwing it out the door, but I would guess since one HD receiver is fine and the other is not, that the dish is aligned fine.
Fairly unlikely that an poorly aligned dish would only effect one receiver and not the other.
I could see this being the case though if the good receiver was SD.

Until the op comes back with a report, it's all conjecture on our parts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts