HR23 to Slimline 3 SWM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigej

Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
On my camping lot I hook my HR23 700 stb to my neighbors Slimline 3 SWM dish. The first two times it worked great. Hooking the one coax to #1 SWM imput automatically set my box to Slimline 3s, SWM switch and dual tuner. The last two times I have tried, it switched my box over to SWM but I end up with the 771 searching for signal error. I am getting 0's on everything, no signal at all. My neighbor hooked his stb to the same line and had no problems getting signal. My box works fine at home on a non SWM system. I have tried two different coax cables. Any suggestions as to what's causing this? Thanks!

If your neighbor has more than one cable coming from the lnb, then it's not a swm type. Does he have a splitter that you are connecting to?

No, he only has one coax coming out of his dish it goes to a SWM 8 in his trailer with an output to my trailer. The coax to my trailer hooks to #1 input on my box and automatically switches it to SWM

Unused ports are terminated. Again: When I hook the coax to #1 (SWM) input on my STB it automatically switches my settings to #17 Slimline 3s SWM with a SWM switch. The only setting it lets me adjust is the tuner. I can change it from dual to single, I have tried both even though it is a dual tuner. I have tried resetting the box several times and also unplugged it for several minutes. I would assume the power inserter is working because both of his boxes are working fine.

I think I've run into this once when I was doing a mover and their last setup was not SWM and the new system was. The HR23 wouldn't work, just a few random TPs with low signals but mostly 0s. Since I was putting in a SWM8, I unhooked the coax from a D11 and extended it to the HR23. I let it do its download on the one working tuner. Once it got picture, I went to Repeat Satellite Setup and connected back to the SWM line. It worked after that. I think it's a software glitch. Do you have another neighbor in the campground with a non-SWM setup that you can borrow off of for a temporary setup? If so, you have to keep the receiver powered up for the following entire process:

plug non-SWM line into your receiver and plug it in to power. Let it boot up to picture. You'll probably see a message saying one of the tuners is without signal. Once you have pic, navigate through the menu to Repeat Guided Setup. Once on the screen that gives you choices about your configuration, hook up the SWM line instead of the non-SWM line. Choose your correct setup (SWM3) and continue on the process. It should finish up. Bit of a pain in the butt but it should work. Once you get working, you might want to make sure you have the latest software in case they fixed the glitch in a future release.

That's an interesting possibility! I've tried most everything else. I would think though that if it were a general problem with the HR23 I would have received more responses. Then again I doubt most people move their STBs around from system to system. I'm not sure what my other neighbors that I can reach with coax have but will check it out.
It also brings another thought to my mind: What if I switch my settings over to SWM on my non SWM system at home before I leave , get to the place where it says SWM signal is not detected, then take it up and hook it to the SWM line there. Might be worth a try if the problem is the switch between the two systems. I believe from what I can tell that I have the current software. Thanks!

How many SWM channels are used? There are only eight. HR's take two and HR34's take five. Have you tried another terminal? When you say SWM8 do you mean an eight terminal green label splitter? A SWM8 is a different animal fed by a four feed Slimline.

Long shot but is SWM on dish smarter than we think? Does it detect receivers from two accounts are on one dish? Did someone bump your neighbor's dish? Maybe signal is good enough for him to retain service but not for you to acquire service. Maybe your receiver has gone kaput at bad time.

Pretty confusing as SWM is a no-brainer and it worked before..

I keep mixing up the swm8 and sws8 myself schneid. bigej, which does your neighbor have? I'm guessing it's really an sws8 since you said he has one cable from his dish.

OK now, I'll admit to being somewhat lost here! There is definitely only one coax coming from his dish. It goes into his trailer. He said it is a SWM system and he has 8 outputs. He uses four and my line uses two because it's two tuner box. He has two left open. He ran a line back out of his trailer that I could hook to with one coax that goes to my trailer. When I started having trouble he says he jumped a coax from the line he has for me to one of his STBs and it is working fine. Whether it's SWM or SWS I don't know. I only know it worked fine the first two times and now will no longer work. When I hook this line to my box it does recognize it's a SWM system and adjusts the settings accordingly. As far as two accounts on one dish, there are several places in the park where one dish feeds two or three lots. These were put in by Direct TV. Only a few lots have a view of the sky due to trees. My box works fine at home on a non SWM system. I don't know if it's possible for the tuners to work on non SWM system and not Work on SWM if the settings are correct which they are.? Thanks for all the help!

He definitely has a swm system. The one cable goes to a sws8 splitter. His power inserter should connect to the power passing port. His receivers/dvrs connect to any other ports, one line per box. You only need one line to your dvr. It should detect the swm setup automatically. You say he uses four and you use two. What do you mean by that?

I was referring to the number of tuners run by his system. Even though there is only one coax running to my box it operates the two tuners on my box (when it worked that is).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)