HR24-100 DVR overheat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radiantfire

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Southwest US
Hi all,

Have Directv DVR HR24-100. Have had it for years, little to no trouble. About 2 weeks ago, box started giving warning that it was too hot (in the middle of winter) and shutting down. Got blue screen of death with a warning and a progress bar, saying that the box was too hot, the max temp is X, current temp is X, progress bar for cooling the box is 9-50%, with progress bar advancing...

have used the red reset button! have unplugged the box, sometimes with success, only to get a warning during the program we are watching, that the box is getting too hot, please shut it down, etc. then the box will default to blue screen of death with above mentioned events taking place.

Finally called Directv, they tell me that it is a software issue that they are aware of, and that they are not currently authorized to provide a replacement box or any further technical assistance. They will credit us for the days we are without service. It is a problem they are aware of, it should be fixed "in a couple days."

Since there is no definitive answer for when this will be fixed, i diligently check every day...I get about 30 mins of no program, then blue screen of death.

Anyone? Anything? Need help.

This is not a known issue, you need a replacement IRD. Call again and speak with a different rep.

You got bogus input from the CSR. Being a former programmer, I can tell you that software is not going to overheat the box. Unless they made a bone-headed mistake that shuts the fan down. But, I doubt that or we all would be having problems.

You have a ventilation problem. You need to take out the box and give it a good vacuuming. It would also be nice if you got one of those cans of "air" and gave it a blast into the fan area to help clear things out more. I would also direct a blast of air through any vents in the box to just help dislodge any dust that may be on the circuit board. Unfortunately, it is against the rules to take the cover off which is what is really needed here to get in there and give it a good cleaning. But, you should be able to help things along with just a good vacuuming and shot of air.

What I neglected to mention is that the box is not physically too hot. It is the same temperature as other electronics in the same area. The blue screen of death indicates that the box is 60 degrees C which is like 143 degrees F. At that temp, the box should be melting and should be impossible to touch with a bare hand. Neither is true.

I vacuumed the vents, as was suggested, which usually makes a difference. No dice this time.

Yes, i think I think I will call back and talk to a supervisor.

Yes, it is time to call back and talk with a supervisor. It seems you have an issue that cannot be resolved with normal user maintenance. It does look like a replacement is the only logical remedy.

As a point of reference, however, the temp you see is really taken at the CPU and does not represent the overall case temperature. My case right now is barely warm to the touch and the "Internal Temp" is 111F and often rises to 125F during the summer. So it it is quite conceivable that your CPU could be 143F and the case only feel moderately warm. This is not unusual when proper air circulation to the CPU is blocked.

But, your hands are tied to do anything more to try to clear it. D* takes this option off the table with their case locks and up to approx $200 penalty for opening the box. So, replacement is your only option. If you share with them all the information you have provided here, I would seriously believe that a supervisor would authorize a replacement in this case. Please let us know how this goes.

I wanna update this. I'm hearing that there is a known issue with some HR24s overheating, or showing overheated, and there may also be some "popping or clicking"... And the orders are to not replace or send a tech, so if you run in to this... I dunno, try to get a replacement anyways?

It's not somthing that comes up at all get a new box

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had the same problem with my HR24-100. After years of working fine, it suddenly gave me overheat messages and shut down. It is not a ventilation problem with the box location. I surmised the cooling fan in the unit was failing. Called D* and they replaced the box with another...Two weeks later...everything is running smooth. Helps to have the equipment warranty package...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)