HR24/500 - SWiM - Whole Home Networking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lazyfisher

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Northern Shenandoah Valley
Hi All,

I'm a long time user of DirecTV and enjoy, for the most part, their products and services. Sometime ago I upgraded both of my receivers to the HR24/500 and added Whole Home Networking to my services. They, of course, upgraded my dish and splitter. My 'main' receiver is located in my living room (LR) and it is there that the DECA is located with power and the Ethernet connection directly into my Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless Router/Switch. My second receiver is located in my bedroom (BR) with only it's power connection, SWiM connection, and HDMI connections.

Recently, the LR receiver will for no apparent reason drop its Internet connection but will maintain it's Network connection. Sometimes it will loose both the Network and Internet connections. Resetting the router and/or the receiver does not seem to help. The BD receiver, to my knowledge, has not failed in this manner

UPnP is enabled on my router. I have even gone so far as to assign the router a static IP address and put it in the the router's DMZ but, this has not helped either.

...Hmm, as I write this I am beginning to think this is simply the HR24/500 failing. If that is the case can I backup my recorded shows so as not to loose them when this unit is replaced? If so I big of a hard disk drive would I need, assuming it's full?

Any advice, thought, comments would be welcomed!!

Thanks in advance,
Eric

In your diagnostic efforts did you check the DECA adapter at your router?

At any point have you plugged an active Ethernet cable into the HR24?

I firmly believe that static IP is a red herring.

• In your diagnostic efforts did you check the DECA adapter at your router?
    • ?Briefly. Connections seated. Power light lit.
  • At any point have you plugged an active Ethernet cable into the HR24?
    • ?No, but that's a great idea. I can actually use the cable that is connected to the DECA box. No one is using the other receiver right now. But if it works, what does that tell me?
  • I firmly believe that static IP is a red herring.
    • ?Yeah, I know. But it was easy and it by-passed any security issues without having to expose my entire network.

I'll give a direct cable connection a go and report back.

Thanks,
Eric

OK, moving the cable was easy. It took a few resets but, now it sees my Network and the Internet. Running "Run System Test" nets two errors. First, no telephone line attached. Second, it found networked devices on the coax network and the Ethernet network.

So, what's the fix?

Thanks,
Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)