HR24 First Look released.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Then you never used a receiver that Directv didn't make.
The old SD hughes receivers were fast.

My TiVo's (yes the DirecTV made TiVos) are no faster, and some even slower, than my HR20. I do have to admit, my newer HR22 is sllloooowwwww.

I'm impressed by both the First Look itself, as well as the 2 units themselves.

If build in DECA and significant speed improvements don't float your boat, than I guess not much will. Benchmarking to the HR20, for example, makes sense, since it is one of the faster units today.

DECA/SWM is clearly the infrastructure for the DirecTV whole home connectivity strategy - so with SWM now being the standard for new installs - these become plug and play units for MRV.

With faster processors and speed....things are now and will only get better.

This is still working off the HR20 format .... personally I would have started from scratch so it would be an entirely different animal.

You mentioned the HR20 is the faster of the current HR's, but that itself is a negative. the HR20's are the OLDEST ones, you would think that each newer unit would be considerably faster and better, but it looks like my old HR20's are still better than any of the newer ones.

The good news is they're using faster chipsets and hardware (hopefully better components like psu and tuners as well)...the bad news is it's still running on a patched together system software. It does appear ever since the numerous crashes and nationwide lockups of 2008 (and the announcement of a new DirecTivo) there has been significant improvement in their work.

I'm really over the slowness. As a dvr, in general, they work very well. The ViP's and HR's have ample storage space and get the job done. It's been a long time since a D* or Dish DVR let me down on a recording. My only ViP issue was the 722K's will blank a recording if you delete from the ext HDD while it's going on.

Interesting to see whats going on with the disk drive. Looks like its covered with a cover or some kind of wrap with some cable stays attached to it. Looks like you might be able to get the esata plug off so you could connect the drive to an external pc and copy the contents off of it if it should start to die, but also looks like it might be a big deal to get the drive out and replace it internally. At least not without leaving a trace of your shenanigans.

Looks like a new toy for me to play soon to add to the HR20's family.

Status
Please reply by conversation.