Friday, October 9, 2009 11:00PM - 2:30AM ET
Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:00PM - 2:30AMET

Risk Level for this Download: Customer Candidate

New features
None for this release

Improved/Updated
Under the hood

Notes
MRV has been removed as this is a customer candidate.

Previous Release Information:
New features
Left Menu appearance
Support for Linksys WET610N Wireless Adapter
MRV is back!
New Playlist and Playlist sorting persistence
DIRECTV On DEMAND program detail screen facelift

Improved/Updated
Playlist touch ups
Prioritizer renamed "Series Manager"
"Rec. Once" and "Rec. Series" text now more user friendly in To Do List and Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a release tonight, and repeat Saturday night. As posted above, the only updates are minor and MRV has been removed for final testing before a release.

My apologies for being late tonight. Thanks to cfb and nutflush for picking me up.

I pretty much had it knocked, except that its a customer candidate and has MRV disabled, so if you like MRV, sit still and dont download!

DOH! This was my first CE download and was hoping for MRV. Guess I'll dig through the CE Release changelog to see what's new since the last official version.

Argh! This was also my first download and no MRV! Now my wife is going to beat me.

Hey Jason, any idea on when the national rollout will happen on the MRV?

MRV is definitively not ready for prime time so I doubt we'll see it beyond the CEs for a while still.

I was hoping to update my h21 tonight to see if a new release would fix the control lockup issues i've seen.

Also, when they do a NR, when does it overwrite those of us with CEs?

Is there something wrong with my box when my ip address just changes on the box for no reason? I'll reset and reconnect, and the box will work fine for MRV for about a day or two. Then all of a sudden, I get an ip that isn't even close to the working one I have. Can anyone help or shed some light on this randomness?

Guess I'll dig through the CE Release changelog to see what's new since the last official version.

Good luck. All they've said is 'under the hood fixes'. Fine thanks to those of us testing the software to know whats being fixed so we can check it.

It was clear to me that since their marketing folks announced dual live buffers would be available this past summer, that they jammed the DLB release out with bugs in it to make the date. This release is probably fixing all those bugs in the NR and they dont want us to know what they were, hence the mysterious "under the hood" as the only changes through more than a month of releases.

Pretty funny to go from a "wow super scary release" one week to "customer candidate" the next. The risk levels that are given to us are totally meaningless, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps now they can get to working on MRV since it didnt look to me liked they'd done much between the old CE release and the current code.

I finally decided to simplify my setup and direct wired the two HR20's together with assigned addresses, no switch, no router. So far it seems the mrv hitchiness seems to have improved but I need a few more days of testing to be sure.. I dont think thats a function of having a switch in the middle, but more a function of the HR20 having access to and wanting to interact with other things on my network and the internet that were connected to the same switch. Lots of frequent "Hi, what are you?" and trying to talk to my home theater/media connect server even when it was off. Now its got nothing to do but MRV and chat with each other.

I got this thought when I heard the guys testing the DECA gear said it seemed to improve their MRV performance. About the only thing that using the DECA stuff really did differently (other than using coax instead of twisted pair as the media) was isolating the HR20's onto their own point-to-point 'cloud'.

Also, when they do a NR, when does it overwrite those of us with CEs?

As soon as your box is authorized for the NR and its version # is higher than the CE version you have. We might have a window between when the NR comes out and a new CE comes out, but the last go-round the first few weeks of CE releases had no MRV enabled either. So plan for a week or two to a month of no MRV once the new NR comes out. Might not be a problem, but plan for it.

Is there something wrong with my box when my ip address just changes on the box for no reason? I'll reset and reconnect, and the box will work fine for MRV for about a day or two. Then all of a sudden, I get an ip that isn't even close to the working one I have. Can anyone help or shed some light on this randomness?

Sounds like you have a DHCP server (probably on your router) that is offering to assign an address to the HR's and its taking them. If you have a DHCP server, there shouldnt be many reasons to manually configure an address on the HR's.

The boxes should continue to work with the new addresses, unless you have other stuff on your network that you've manually assigned the same address.

What does your network look like?

Good luck. All they've said is 'under the hood fixes'. Fine thanks to those of us testing the software to know whats being fixed so we can check it.

Actually looking at the notes from the last 2 releases I was able to discover some minor changes. Mainly name changes and left arrow functionality. Nothing too exciting, that's true.

I've been hoping for MRV since I got the receivers. Previous to HD I had 2 ReplayTVs, which I hacked MRV into. Loved it. When DIRECTV bought ReplayTV I had high hopes that something would develop. Nothing really has. At least they're moving in the right direction now.

I would have been here sooner if I had known you could just join. :) For some reason I falsely assumed you had to be invited by DIRECTV personally. :)

DHCP Issues

AntDogg65, it sounds like a DHCP issue. If the address is completely different, it could be that your DHCP server does not recognize the request from the receiver to renew the IP, this could be caused the server (router) not recognizing requests from the receiver, or it could be your server is hit and miss in processing renewal requests, or some other funky error.

I have never found a consumer grade router (which acts as your DHCP server) that is reliable, but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a Cisco, so I just redefine the address distribution scope within my router. All of my normal equipment that is hardwired has a static IP assigned, and I use DHCP for wireless access. I have defined my scope so the gateway is 192.168.100.1 (I chose 100 for the 3rd octet because it is different and when I join VPNs there won't be conflicts) and my DHCP range is 192.168.100.250 through 192.168.100.254, (yes this is only 5 addresses for DHCP distribution, which is to keep my wireless secure...less addresses less liklihood of getting in.) I just have a spreadsheet in which I have detailed out what device is assigned to what IP, and I haven't had any issues.

Another solution if you don't want to go throug above process or if you are uncomfortable with it is you could extned the length of your DHCP address leases, I set a network up for my parents and because of the reboot issues with IP addresses, I set their lease time to 7 days and got them in the habit of rebooting every sunday right before they go to church so it does not affect them.

Anyways if you still have problems let us know, we can help you find a solution.

MRV won't be out nationally until next year. There is still a lot of testing to be done.

Been down that road before...then I had her visit some friends with U-Verse, and she decided she'd rather have DirecTV and no MRV. I actually got it, back in the early summer, then they pulled for a release candidate, and they just barely brought it back again and now it is gone, so we had MRV, then lost it, that did not sit too well for a couple of days, but once she learned what U-Verse really is (not what the commercials say) she figured we have it better. Now I always to make sure about MRV before downloading, if MRV is disabled, I don't get the new software, hopefully this release candidate will go national and MRV will come back shortly, then husband and wife can peacefully co-exist once again in there own domains.

For some reason I falsely assumed you had to be invited by DIRECTV personally. :)

They have that too. There is a group of people who get some test versions we dont get, get test versions earlier than we do, and get beta hardware to test.

It was clear to me that since their marketing folks announced dual live buffers would be available this past summer, that they jammed the DLB release out with bugs in it to make the date. This release is probably fixing all those bugs in the NR and they dont want us to know what they were, hence the mysterious "under the hood" as the only changes through more than a month of releases.

Pretty funny to go from a "wow super scary release" one week to "customer candidate" the next. The risk levels that are given to us are totally meaningless, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps now they can get to working on MRV since it didnt look to me liked they'd done much between the old CE release and the current code.

I finally decided to simplify my setup and direct wired the two HR20's together with assigned addresses, no switch, no router. So far it seems the mrv hitchiness seems to have improved but I need a few more days of testing to be sure.. I dont think thats a function of having a switch in the middle, but more a function of the HR20 having access to and wanting to interact with other things on my network and the internet that were connected to the same switch. Lots of frequent "Hi, what are you?" and trying to talk to my home theater/media connect server even when it was off. Now its got nothing to do but MRV and chat with each other.

I got this thought when I heard the guys testing the DECA gear said it seemed to improve their MRV performance. About the only thing that using the DECA stuff really did differently (other than using coax instead of twisted pair as the media) was isolating the HR20's onto their own point-to-point 'cloud'.

You have to consider the source ..... Seeing D* doesn't send us the notes directlv, they could say anything the other place wants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)