HR2x / HR34 External Hard Drive FYI/Support (eSATA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is there any way to move the data from the *internal* drive to the eSATA drive if I choose to plug one in? I'd like the extra capacity, but, I don't want to lose all of my recordings.....

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I tried to search for it, and didn't come with anything, nor did I read every page of the 51 pages.

Thanks.

It can be done but is a bunch of work, including removing the internal drive, hooking both to a computer, and using linux to copy from the old and resize the new drive.

I tried it once and didn't have much success, ended up giving up and starting fresh.
Keep in mind removing the internal drive may be outside the lease limitations, but I've never read any negative pushback from it when returning a receiver.

Way more reading here, 5+ years worth:
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/140114-how-to-copy-and-replace-internal-hard-drive/

Is there any way to move the data from the *internal* drive to the eSATA drive if I choose to plug one in? I'd like the extra capacity, but, I don't want to lose all of my recordings.....

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I tried to search for it, and didn't come with anything, nor did I read every page of the 51 pages.

Thanks.

After you install the eSATA drive, if you want to access the recordings on the internal drive, you can unplug the receiver, unplug the eSATA cable for the external drive, plug in the receiver and let it reboot. You can then see your recordings on the internal drive. This is kind of a pain if you have a lot of recordings that you need to watch, but it works.

Thanks.

As ddhawk said, you can access them by disconnecting the external drive. You don't lose the internal when you connect an external unless you reset the dvr through the menu.

It can be done but is a bunch of work, including removing the internal drive, hooking both to a computer, and using linux to copy from the old and resize the new drive.

I tried it once and didn't have much success, ended up giving up and starting fresh.
Keep in mind removing the internal drive may be outside the lease limitations, but I've never read any negative pushback from it when returning a receiver.

Way more reading here, 5+ years worth:
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/140114-how-to-copy-and-replace-internal-hard-drive/

This is the "quote""unquote" correct way.... not easy, but this is how to get what you want done

After you install the eSATA drive, if you want to access the recordings on the internal drive, you can unplug the receiver, unplug the eSATA cable for the external drive, plug in the receiver and let it reboot. You can then see your recordings on the internal drive. This is kind of a pain if you have a lot of recordings that you need to watch, but it works.

This is much easier but requires you to red button reset the dvr each time you want to "switch" harddrives.

As ddhawk said, you can access them by disconnecting the external drive. You don't lose the internal when you connect an external unless you reset the dvr through the menu.

Make sure not to do this lol... a total reset will wipe your internal hdd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)