HR2X Units - Can multiple units in the same house stream content to eachother?

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I'm looking at purchasing 3 of these HR2X units, I say X because I have no idea what Directv will send me.

If I setup three units I would prefer to have a master unit that does all the recording of regular scheduled shows and I want to be able to watch those recorded shows off any of the other units in the house?

So I could see myself starting a show in the basement and then wanting to finish it off from where I last watched in bed.

Can this be done? and can the unit in my bedroom show me what is scheduled on the other units or is there a way for them share a schedule?

Thanks

Yes one can serve the others but why wouldnt you want them all recording? You will have 2 recording whenever there is more than 2 shows at one time slot that you want to watch.

Yes one can serve the others but why wouldnt you want them all recording? You will have 2 recording whenever there is more than 2 shows at one time slot that you want to watch.

So how will it work exactly, will all three share the scheduler?

So for example on one machine I can be looking at schedules and if I setup three shows to record at exactly the same time, it will be samrt enough to kick in the recordings on the next available machine that has a free tuner?

I also plan on using the slimline dish, so from wha I understand one Feed of cable to each receiver can actually support dual feed as if two lines are connected, giving me 6 available tuners in all...man I'll never have a scheduling conflict if that's the way it works.

As for the CE firmware, how do I go about installing that, I'm assuming it is not the default firmware that gets downloaded to the unit.

Lastly, will this all work on a local network that does not have access to the internet?

Thanks

Right now, Directv is testing sharing the content between receivers (Multi Room Viewing) if all of the receivers are on the same network connected throught the ethernet ports but it is not available for the public yet. If you join their software testing program (CE), you may be able to test it for Directv if you are willing to install beta software on your receivers. Read details posted at the top of the CE forum on how to join.

As far as I know, none of the providers have a way to see on one receiver what all of your other receivers have scheduled or shift schedules between receivers. You will have to set a specific recording schedule on each receiver.

Since we're in the CE forum, an I went through this exercise and got it working, here are the details:

You need to install the CE on each of your DVRs, and they all have to be connected to the same network. I have an HR21 and an HR22 on our network.

You must enable the keyword MRVCLIENTON once the CE is installed. It's probably also a good idea to enable IAMANEDGECUTTER so you can create problem reports if you run into issues you'd like to report to DirecTV. You turn on keywords by searching by keyword for them. The search will respond that there are no matches, but the functionality will be enabled behind the scenes.

If you want to give your DVRs friendly names, visit the network setup, advanced screen and name the DVR. I am not sure, but it is possible that you need to use another keyword to enable the DVR name field. If so, it's probably POKEEYENOW.

I find that it takes a few minutes for the DVRs to be seen by each other. But once it's working, when you push "List" on the remote, an intermediate screen will appear asking which list you want to view, the first one being the list on the local DVR.

Programs on remote DVRs are read-only. That is, you can't delete them when you're done watching them (you have to go visit the other DVR in person to do that). You will also note that there is some amount of "glitchiness" in dealing with remote lists. After opening a folder, I am usually sent back to the top of the list and have to go find the folder again. Sometimes I am sent back to the top of the list for no apparent reason. This is a beta, after all.

You cannot perform remote scheduling (but you can, of course, at directv.com or with the DirecTV app on an iPhone).

Any updates on the networking feaures between multiple HR23 units?

I would like to have them on my netowrk but without access to the internet, is this doable?

Have the networking features between the units improved at all? ideally I would love to have it be able to share one scheduler between the three of the HR23 units I will have, I didn't want to have to coordinate schedules between all three units.

It would also be nice to be able to be able to watch a show that was recorded on another unit and then be able to delete it, reading the above it seems it only gives you the ability to read it.

Also will it actually stream the content or does it copy the contents over and have you noitced any lag or chopiness?

Its reallly glitchy right now so I'd wait awhile, unless you're really into playing with beta software that requires rebooting your units every day or two to get them back to a working state.

I doubt you'll see unified scheduling anytime soon, if at all. The logistics are fairly steep. For example, say the scheduler puts show 'xyz' on receiver #1 because its got a free tuner for that time slot, then 5 minutes before the show starts the network pushes the time from 8:00-9:00 to 8:02-9:02 and receiver #1 doesnt have a free tuner at 9:01-9:02? As stupid as that scenario sounds, it happens allll the time.

So you'd need some sort of networked distributed scheduler that could shift shows dynamically between receivers as real time program guide data changes.

It streams, doesnt copy, and even with a hardwired 100Mb/s network you'll see some glitches.

Other thing to note that I dont think has been mentioned is that each unit can only stream to one other unit (PC or dtv receiver) at a time. So two tv's cant watch a 3rd receivers shows, only one.

This is still in very early beta. I'll try to answer the best I can with what I have experienced so far. This feature and how well it works will most likely change with newer CE versions.

"I would like to have them on my netowrk but without access to the internet, is this doable?"

Yes

"Have the networking features between the units improved at all? ideally I would love to have it be able to share one scheduler between the three of the HR23 units I will have, I didn't want to have to coordinate schedules between all three units."

You will have to set up each unit individually as there is no shared scheduler feature at this time.

"It would also be nice to be able to be able to watch a show that was recorded on another unit and then be able to delete it, reading the above it seems it only gives you the ability to read it."

You can delete a program remotely.

"Also will it actually stream the content or does it copy the contents over and have you noitced any lag or chopiness?"

It streams and there are still glitches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)