HR34 only works with Samsung TVs???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjrubenstein

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Natick, MA
I'm moving into a new house soon, and I decided to sign up with DirecTV. I placed my order for an HR24 DVR two days before the new HR34 DVR was announced, so I figured I'd call customer service and have them change my order before the installation in a few weeks.

And holy cow, what a frustrating experience! No fewer than four different CSRs AND supervisors told me that the HR34 will only work with a Samsung TV. I tried to patiently explain that they weren't correct, and that you only need a Samsung TV to utilize the RVU feature. They wouldn't budget and wouldn't let me order it.

Finally, after going in circles on the phone, I asked the last CSR to cancel my order. She said "fine, but don't try ordering an HR34 online because it won't work," and then she hung up on me. It did get canceled, and so I went back online and ordered it in about 5 minutes.

Who's training these people?!? And what a way to treat someone who really wants to become a DirecTV customer!

I hope this isn't a warning sign of bad customer service to come...

I was told the same thing when I tried to order as well, you just have to hang up and call back. Don't waste your time, soon as you hear an inaccurate statement thank them for their time, hang up and call back.

Wow. I've been hearing a lot people dealing with the same issue with the CSRs lately on the HR34. Somebody over at Directv is training these people wrong. Hopefully they find out who that dumba$$ is. Until then, I think the best advice is to make sure you want the HR34 1st and then just order it online.

Yep....I got the same thing. I already had the unit ordered and I called back for them to correct something else on the order and the 2nd level CSR told me that the HR34 would not work on my Panasonic televisions. I had a pretty big spat with Samsung that stretched out over 9 months and it resulted in them paying me for a spontaneously cracking plasma screen. Because of this I will never buy anything with the letter S on it again. I knew the CSR was mistaken and this could not be true but I was so mad after she insisted I had to have a Samsung I canceled my order. She even tried to talk me into buying a Samsung so that I could keepp the receiver and the install would continue.

I've replied to more posts on this issue in the last week then I have on everything combined in the last 2 years.

Yep....I got the same thing. I already had the unit ordered and I called back for them to correct something else on the order and the 2nd level CSR told me that the HR34 would not work on my Panasonic televisions. I had a pretty big spat with Samsung that stretched out over 9 months and it resulted in them paying me for a spontaneously cracking plasma screen. Because of this I will never buy anything with the letter S on it again. I knew the CSR was mistaken and this could not be true but I was so mad after she insisted I had to have a Samsung I canceled my order. She even tried to talk me into buying a Samsung so that I could keepp the receiver and the install would continue.

I've replied to more posts on this issue in the last week then I have on everything combined in the last 2 years.
just tell the csr that you have a samsung... it's not like they verify your set. otherwise, order online... problem solved! :)

I think the CSR's are getting the RVU from Samgung at the moment mixed up with the rest of the recvr.

The Recvr should work with any TV from what I have heard, however it won't work the RVU portion unless you havce a TV that has RVU.

Samsung must be the only ones they have been told about.
There are several other brands that will have it but none are out yet that I am aware of.

Samsung is the only brand that has been named as being rvu compatible, but they aren't certified yet.

Samsung is the only brand that has been named as being rvu compatible, but they aren't certified yet.

There are others, just don't have anything out yet.
Don't know about being certified ...

There were about 4-5 TV companies, unless some have dropped out since then.

Last edited:
There are others, just don't have anything out yet.
Don't know about being certified ...

There were about 4-5 TV companies, unless some have dropped out since then.

I couldn't find any other manufacturers that will be certified. Who are they Jimbo?

I couldn't find any other manufacturers that will be certified. Who are they Jimbo?

Not sure about the certification part, but I know I had heard Sony was one of them.

I have friends that will be getting the Samsung in stock soon and I know we were discussing other brands as well, I will check and get back with you.

I do recall an article on Engadget I think it was awhile back that also talked about the brands.

If I got a hard line CSR saying I had to have a Samsung RVU ready TV, I would just lie and say I have 2. :p

When the installer comes he won't care that he is just hooking up the receiver normally. Less work for him. Haha.

Chip,
I checked on this RVU stuff with the different TV brands and it looks like Sony is involved, but didn't say anything about when they will have TVs available, so mybe they are getting into a different part of the business in the beginning.

As of right now, it IS ony Samsung that has RVU compatable TVs out and its a select few to start ... 6400 series it looks like.

Keep in mind guys, the HR34 works with all TV's it doesn't work the RVU part unless you have a RVU compatable TV.

So when they say that the HR34 doesn't work with so and so TV, tell them your not concerned about the RVU part at this time

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

RVU Participating companies

There are 5 founding members: Broadcom, Cisco Systems, DIRECTV, Samsung Electronics and Verizon.[2]

As of June 2011, there are:

16 promoter members: [2]

Cortina Systems, Entropic Communications, Huawei, Humax, JetHead Development, LG Electronics, Morega Systems, Motorola, Pace, Sigma Designs, SKY, Solekai Systems, STMicroelectronics, Technicolor, Trident Microsystems and ViXS Systems.

15 contributor members: [2]

Allegro Software, Beechwoods Software, Echostar Technologies, Marvell International, MediaTek, MStar Semiconductor, NDS Group, Red Embedded Consulting, Sony Corporation, Sybas Technology (Popbox), UNH-IOL, Universal Electronics Inc., Wistron NeWeb Corporation, Zinwell Corporation and Zoran Corporation.

I did tell her I was not interested in the RVU but she kept telling me I needed a samsung to properly use the unit. I just got fed up and quit. I'll probably give it a try sometime in the future.

I did tell her I was not interested in the RVU but she kept telling me I needed a samsung to properly use the unit. I just got fed up and quit. I'll probably give it a try sometime in the future.

You should have asked to speak to her supervisor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts