HR34 Slow Response, might this apply to the 44 and 54 also??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, I've been struggling since last October with terribly slow response from our HR34-700 Genie. It's a well documented problem that Directv claims to have been working on to fix with some "always tomorrow" software update for months but with no noted improvement. I was recently told that Directv is finally willing to allow folks to request a change to an HR44 or HR54. I talked with Directv yesterday and they confirmed that, yes, that's true. However, the CS person told me that even the HR44 and HR54 are ALSO experiencing response issues. She confirmed the 34 was worse so I could expect an improvement by switching but how much of an improvement she couldn't guess.

I don't want to switch for say a 10% impovement but for a more significant improvement I likely would. Can anyone with knowledge on this topic holler back and tell me what I might expect if I requested say an HR44???

And does anyone actually know what is wrong with these DVR's, what happened to make them so slow in the first place???

Any help would be much appreciated... thanks... bob

All reports from from those that switch, the exchange was worth it. But keep in mind an an empty DVR will always perform better than a full one.

The different between Genies are their CPUs. So the HR44 & up CPUs can handle today' software even with a full HDD. How long this will last is anyone's guess with 4K and the AT&T merger.

Hopefully there is a whole new GUI being worked on somewhere, but you shouldn't wait for it.

All reports from from those that switch, the exchange was worth it. But keep in mind an an empty DVR will always perform better than a full one.

The different between Genies are their CPUs. So the HR44 & up CPUs can handle today' software even with a full HDD. How long this will last is anyone's guess with 4K and the AT&T merger.

Hopefully there is a whole new GUI being worked on somewhere, but you shouldn't wait for it.

Much appreciated... thanks.. bob

Bob - I experienced the same problem and finally was able to get Directv to send me a 44. I can tell you that the difference is night and day. Still not super fast, but at least the clients aren't lagging behind 10 seconds every time I try to change the channel.

Bob - I experienced the same problem and finally was able to get Directv to send me a 44. I can tell you that the difference is night and day. Still not super fast, but at least the clients aren't lagging behind 10 seconds every time I try to change the channel.

Thanks... I appreciate the feedback. I'm pretty sure I'm going to request an HR44 but I wanted to get some feedback such as your's before going to the trouble and cost of swapping. Just want to know there's a reasonable chance of improvement. Again, thanks... bob

Very noticeable difference. I got my HR44 last Friday night and hooked it up, Definitely much, much quicker response times. My DVR was maybe 75% free space. I didn't use a lot of space on it so I don't think that would have slowed it down.

Very noticeable difference. I got my HR44 last Friday night and hooked it up, Definitely much, much quicker response times. My DVR was maybe 75% free space. I didn't use a lot of space on it so I don't think that would have slowed it down.

Good feedback... thanks much... bob

You would be happy with a HR44/54. My HR54 is faster than my HR20. That is one of the quickest of the DVRs. Most of the chips on the motherboard of these two receivers are the same. They are basically the same receiver with exceptions. The 44 doesn't have 2 extra tuners which we expect to be used with the reverse band transmissions when they become available. The 54 is slimmer and doesn't contain some connections on the back that earlier receivers had. There isn't a phone connector for communications or caller id. Analog video is through a DIN connector. There are adapters available to send that signal to your TV.
I have 13 HD movies, a few programs and 115 episodes of Parks & Recreation saved on the hard drive. There is still 70% free space available.

You would be happy with a HR44/54. My HR54 is faster than my HR20. That is one of the quickest of the DVRs. Most of the chips on the motherboard of these two receivers are the same. They are basically the same receiver with exceptions. The 44 doesn't have 2 extra tuners which we expect to be used with the reverse band transmissions when they become available. The 54 is slimmer and doesn't contain some connections on the back that earlier receivers had. There isn't a phone connector for communications or caller id. Analog video is through a DIN connector. There are adapters available to send that signal to your TV.
HR20 ?

My H34 has been really sloooooowwww as well, and I have called them about this issue in the past. What are they charging for an upgrade to the H54 for those who have traded their H34's in?

My H34 has been really sloooooowwww as well, and I have called them about this issue in the past. What are they charging for an upgrade to the H54 for those who have traded their H34's in?
they are not charging anything to replace the HR34 with an HR44, besides for S&H without the protection plan which can be waived sometimes. Keep in mind that the replacement is going to be an HR44, not a 54, there is no way to request a 54 under this "replacement program"

Get an hr54. You'll be glad you did
Unless you are going to pay someone like solid signal for an HR54, or you are in one of the geographic areas where the Hr54 is rolling out, you won't get an HR54, and certainly not under the "replacement program". In performance terms, the HR44 and HR54 are the same speed (they use the same electronics).
But the HR54 (paired with the C61K) is designed to support linear 4K channels when they roll out. I assume there will be some sort of "4K upgrade program" allowing you to move from the HR44 when the time comes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)