HR44 775 dswm-21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Hi everybody! I'm having a strange-ish issue with my HR44. I'm lucky enough to be on a dual-genie setup, but I've been living in apartments for the last few years, so I haven't been able to hook both up. With my most recent installation, though, I had a DSWM-21 installed, and just didn't have the 44 with me when the installer was here.

I got it all hooked up today in my project space, with a splitter installed running off the line with a DECA on one leg and the HR44 on the other. The DECA worked, and is being used to provide a wired connection to my workspace, but the 44 gives me 775. I went ahead and unhooked the deca and ran the 44 straight into the wall, but I'm still getting 775. I think this is a firmware issue, but when I try to force an update, I don't get anything. I can take the box into the office tomorrow to get an update off of a traditional swim setup (I've got an HR54 at my desk). But I'm really just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and if/so, how did you fix it?

For specifics, here's my setup:
Dish runs a direct line to my apartment, where a 4-way runs to bedroom with HR54 and WVB (going to unhook it later). The 54 is powering the dish through the WVB, which I don't think is right, but didn't have the presence of mind to realize that until just now. (The installer was a contractor that didn't have even the most basic of training.) One leg runs to the living room with a split to a C61k for DTV and a DECA for the smart tv, one leg runs to my loft, with the DECA and 44, and the 3rd legs runs to the secondary bedroom, where I've hooked up a terminator, in preparation for an HR24 that I need to get out of the moving box.

Never mind, I found the issue. The installer wired the splitter up wrong, and it worked by some miracle up until I put the 44 on the network. I noticed something was up when I was working my way through the system and I got a shock while I was touching the splitter and the wiring cabinet. Double-checked the labels on the lines and noticed the powered line was running into the splitter's 4th connector rather than the power passing line.

Reactions: Jimbo
jam3s, you have an HR54 and an HR44 on the same account? How did you get Directv to approve that?

Waaaay back when the HR-54 went into its second round of beta testing, I was a lowly broadcast technician at DTV that got forwarded an email to sign up. A few months prior, I had worked as an installer, and they hadn't yet deactivated me. So I signed up for the beta, the unit arrives (it is only very very slightly different than the production unit. I think it's got a smaller HDD and there's a few pin headers that I'm not seeing in my production box on my desk at work here).

Well, it's a self install, and the instructions that came with it are "unhook your old genie, plug in your new one, and wait 3-5 days for us to activate it". Well, I wasn't having any of that, so I called ISS (installer support line) and told them "hey, I work in broadcast, and I need my tv all the time, but I also got roped into beta testing this box, so I need to keep both on the account." Escalation was made, turns out it was a guy I knew from work, and he basically went ahead and did some magic to put it on.

Now, for those that are like "you shouldn't be able to do this" and "burn the witch." I really want to make it known that there are circumstances where private residences can get double genie installations. When I was installing, I hooked up the gamestop CEO's dad with DTV, and guess what! He has 2 genies. The system automagically blocks regular staff members from creating and modifying accounts to support dual genies, but there's some kind of VIP process whereby you can load more onto the account.

For me, its a little different now. I've moved from broadcast into an engineering position, and although I'm not about to divulge what I do, its nice to have the 2nd genie for troubleshooting wide-scale consumer impacting issues when on-call without disrupting the family's viewing. I keep it in my project area, which doubles as a home office.

Reactions: Jimbo and raoul5788
Waaaay back when the HR-54 went into its second round of beta testing, I was a lowly broadcast technician at DTV that got forwarded an email to sign up. A few months prior, I had worked as an installer, and they hadn't yet deactivated me. So I signed up for the beta, the unit arrives (it is only very very slightly different than the production unit. I think it's got a smaller HDD and there's a few pin headers that I'm not seeing in my production box on my desk at work here).

Well, it's a self install, and the instructions that came with it are "unhook your old genie, plug in your new one, and wait 3-5 days for us to activate it". Well, I wasn't having any of that, so I called ISS (installer support line) and told them "hey, I work in broadcast, and I need my tv all the time, but I also got roped into beta testing this box, so I need to keep both on the account." Escalation was made, turns out it was a guy I knew from work, and he basically went ahead and did some magic to put it on.

Now, for those that are like "you shouldn't be able to do this" and "burn the witch." I really want to make it known that there are circumstances where private residences can get double genie installations. When I was installing, I hooked up the gamestop CEO's dad with DTV, and guess what! He has 2 genies. The system automagically blocks regular staff members from creating and modifying accounts to support dual genies, but there's some kind of VIP process whereby you can load more onto the account.

For me, its a little different now. I've moved from broadcast into an engineering position, and although I'm not about to divulge what I do, its nice to have the 2nd genie for troubleshooting wide-scale consumer impacting issues when on-call without disrupting the family's viewing. I keep it in my project area, which doubles as a home office.
Hey ..., didn't know you were a broadcast tech. with DIRECTV and now with one of their engineering depts.

Would have tried to ask (if not pester ) you some big questions about the uplink side of things at the broadcast centers that we as subs. rarely have a chance to. Or at least asked if you could maybe ask around at work to find out. ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)