HR44 Genie Is a Step Backwards, or do I just not know how to use it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

devman44

Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Arizona
I have had Dish and also have digital cable. I was paying for the pay as you go Dish with our RV and using Dish also (hopper / joey) at our relatives cabin for a while. We figured it would be cheaper to ditch digital cable and go with a satellite service we can use both home and on the road. DirecTV priced out cheaper for the channels we wanted and it is better suited to our dome satellite on the RV anyways.

Boy, I feel like I made the worst decision I've made in a long time and I should have found a place where you could demo the Genie because if I had I would have never went with DTV. My only hope is maybe there are some tricks to using it I haven't found and the hardware is not totally unintuitive and archaic as it seems even compared to our 10 year old digital cable hardware, let alone the Hopper. Please don't make the mistake I did, go out and try the Genie before you get into a contract to see if you can even live with it.

Here's the problems... and it started right away when the on demand and "TV Shows" icon (not sure what the latter does) did not work. It says wait an hour for it to update, but it has been about 8 hours. DTV says to wait 24 hours and call back. Maybe it will eventually start working, but that is just minor gripe to compared to the hardware (mainly Guide and DVR). The box is confirmed to be connected with the internet and talking to DTV so who knows. But here are the things that are just terrible design and functionality to the point you can't believe this is their latest and greatest stuff.

1) On Dish and my old as dirt digital cable, if you hover onto a slot on the channel guide it will tell you in the corner if it is a new episode or not with a little "new" icon or the word "new". Not so with DTV/Genie... you have no clue if a episode is new or not unless you click Info, then look at the air date, then look at the current date to see if they match, and you still don't know if it was first run, just if the first run was on that date. DTV acts like this is a challenge to do on their forums, yet every other provider has no problem identifying first runs as opposed to leaving it to the user to make an assumption based on air date. On my DC, and I think also on the Hopper, I could filter shows by new episodes only so I could see a list of all new shows that day and forward to look for new stuff I didn't know about.

2) On Dish and DC when you are browsing the guide and see a show you want to record new episodes of you can just click record new episodes and it will record only new episodes. On Genie if you have your default settings set to "First Run Only" and hit record (2x) on a rerun you see on your guide at 7pm today, but the next first run is 2 days later at 9pm, you would expect it to only record the 9pm one. Instead, it wants to record the rerun also that you used to setup the recording with. Not a huge deal except if you have other stuff recording it will say "Conflict" and want you to cancel something else because it insists on recording this rerun you don't want. So now to record it you have to hunt for a later episode or even the next first run episode to setup the recording, total PITA. Never had this problem with DC or Dish.

3) Oh, speaking on conflicts... on the Hopper, unless I have been imagining this feature, if there is a conflict it lets you know, in case you want to re-prioritize which records first... but the ones that can't be recorded it will find the next airing of that episode (which is usually 2 hours later for cable shows) and automatically record it. So conflicts are of little consequence with a Hopper, you'll get all the shows eventually. At least that is how it appears to work because the cabin has a 1H/2J setup and can only watch/record 3 non-network shows at time and it never fails to record something that was conflicted, it just records the next rerun. But with Genie it is either you get it at the first run time, or you have to go find the next time yourself and manually record it - essentially shuffling around your conflicts. When you couple this fact with #2 above where it wants to record the rerun you used to setup your "First Run Only" recording you can quickly run into conflicts that require a lot of jockeying to get the recordings set. At least that is how it appears to work and I seriously hope I'm wrong.

4) The DVR listing is terrible. For instance on DC I would just click the DVR button and it pulls up recorded shows and could toggle with a click between the recorded shows and upcoming (scheduled) shows. Very easy and straightforward, and similarly obvious with the Hopper. Not so with Genie... you can see your recorded shows by clicking "List" which is easy enough, but to see whats upcoming you have to click Menu, then click down twice, then click select, then click over once, then select, then select... 7 clicks just to see what is coming up!!! Why in the word would you not just your recorded and upcoming shows toggled between, or at least have a button on the remote to take you directly to scheduled shows?!

So tell me, does the Genie really suck as bad it feels right now, or am I overlooking some way to accomplish these things with greater ease and it is powerful once you learn some shortcuts that are not publicized? If not I seriously hope DTV has a 48 hour cancellation window or something because this is the worst experience I have had with any receiver in the first 24 hours without a doubt. As a software developer by trade I can usually pick on new systems in general without needing a ton of time with it to know if I like it or not, and I know it takes a little hands on to get used to a new platform before it feels second nature... but outside our own receivers I've never had a problem using other peoples new and old DC receivers or Dish, and definitely never said to myself "I would never buy this service if this is what I'd get"... not until DTV.

Aside from watching TV (Play/Pause/FF/RR etc) 95% of my interaction with the receiver is:
- Searching and browsing the guide for shows (typically looking for new airings of shows that night I don't have set to record that I might like, because since I don't watch commercials I usually only find out about a show by browsing the entire guide using a filter of "list all first run airings only").
- Scheduling/managing upcoming recordings
And probably 3% is probably pulling up the recorded list and hitting play (which thankfully the Genie can do this without a lot of fuss), and the other 2% just misc stuff.

What kills this thing for me is the 95% of how I interact with the receiver the Genie either can't do it or is totally nonintuitive. If it were just something like incidental like "the way the favorites list works is not ideal" (which seems to work ok, just using as an example)... I wouldn't care about that. It is just the core usage, at least for me, it feels like I am using a receiver that was released before my 10 year old DC receiver and I'm taking a step backwards instead of forwards. Seriously, I would swap my old Motorola/SA receiver out for the Genie if it could work with DTV and had 5 tuner capability.

I didn't even have huge expectations, I just thought it would at least as good in terms of usability as my 10 year old DC receiver and assumed it would be similarly intuitive as the Hopper in the general usage. But on the flip side I wasn't going to be surprised if it was next-level stuff and just totally awesome since DTV is such a large player in the space.

Bottom line, I am just so disappointed... enough to sign up and try to get some help on these issues if they can be resolved and if not leave this information behind for others before they sign on the dotted line. It pains me to think about being anchored to this thing for 2 years when there are such better alternatives in receivers these days between DC and Dish.

I'm hoping someone can show me light and I am just overlooking some things and it is not as bad as it seems. That or just tell me I'll learn to live with frustration of the shortcomings of this receiver as time goes on... or that a firmware update is coming soon that will improve it. =P

Your just not familiar with how it works yet.

The On Demand stuff works fine, but you have to give the recvr time to update, it sounds like this is the first day or so your using it.
The OD is Not like your local cable company might be, but it does work.

As for the Air date, whats wrong with hitting the info button ?
If you have a 44, and it's updated you will see the Season and Episode number as well now.
You do NOT need to go into the defaults ...
Again, if you have a 34 or 44 you can record 5 tings at once, how many things are you recording that you get a Conflict error. Your Cable or Dish doesn't record more than that.

4. Just go to the "RECORDINGS" tab, To Do and it's there.

I like the D* way better, its prioritized, it may take more steps than your use to, but once you get use to it, you'll like it.

If I picked up a DISH remote to use it, I would be lost as well till I figured out where everything was.

I believe you'll find the major majority of D* users like the genie very well.

Learning curves can be a challenge ...

Btw, DON'T tell me your 10 year old Cable box was better.

Yes, my Motorola Explorer is better in terms of interface and simplicity for searching, dvr, etc. Never had a problem with it and never had it not do anything I didn't need it to do. The downside was the non shared DVR between rooms and two tuners, but I could have solved that by upgrading the boxes and had *6* tuners shared dvr.

The main reason for the switch was to get one single service to reduce costs so we had it for the RV also. Dish was a hair more expensive for the channels as I mentioned so DTV was the choice we made.

So far no issue with the DTV service, the channels are better than Dish for sure for the money.

The issue is with the Genie.

Why should it take 7 remote inputs to see what i s scheduled?

Why do you have to record a rerun to start recording a new series? This is the worst because it clusters the playlist with stuff you don't want and have to determine if it is the one you wanted. Plus if the tuners are occupied I can't record a first air episode, something has to be canceled or you have to search for a later airing to base the recording off of.

Why can't you see if it is a new episode without clicking info, and why do you have to refer to the current date to know if it is possibly a new episode?

Why can't the Genie automatically record the conflicted first air shows at a later airing?

I guess if you've never had those relatively standard features before the Genie will seem amazing. To someone who has been used to common sense design based upon typical usage patterns these seem ludicrous they were not fleshed out during testing prior to being released.

Some of the on demand stuff has started work. I don't care about that, I know it will get sorted at some point. It is the inherent design flaws in the interface that are a deal breaker for me. The time involved in searching for unknown shows, scheduling new shows, etc is considerably less intuitive than the alternatives and down right indefensible if you have been accustomed to such trivial features.

If anyone can tell me how to filter the guide to show only first run shows taking place on every channel that day it would be one thing off the list.

Likewise with being able to create a new series schedule without recording a rerun or a remote control shortcut to get to the upcoming recordings list.

This is the first receiver I've used without these features and it reminds of when I had DTV in the SD days, it seems little has changed except the addition of a watered down DVR.

I guess it comes down to different stroke for different folks.

ill just address these as you have them numbered. i think you're probably just lacking a bit of acclimation time. like jimbo said, if i picked up a dish remote i'd probably go ballistic too.

1) hitting info while watching the show OR looking at the info block on the channel guide should say some like thing S1E13, so if you know when you've left off you can pretty easily figure out which ones you need to catch up on. which TBH, i think is easier to figure out then a first aired date because sometimes it ISNT the following week. but you're correct, there is no "new" logo, which would be nice on the first air date.

2) first run is simply the first time the Genie has seen that episode. give it a week and it usually gets all the popular reran episodes and this pretty much becomes a non-issue. unless you're recording a bazillion things and are short on drive space. then an external raid array might help (except you lose access to your internal drive iirc).

3) go to the series manager. Menu > recordings > manage recordings > series manager. this will make a priority list. again, give it a week to grab the episodes that get played all the time and this will quickly become a non-issue.

4) if im going to a list of stuff i have recorded, i see no reason to have stuff that is not yet recorded in this list... *shrug*

im comming from TWC, switched in june. the D* interface feels way more logical to me then that one did, so i guess i'd just say let it sit for a week and get itself sorted out before you hammer it. as for the On Demand stuff, you might have more luck if you have a Broadband Deca installed. i'd be willing to bet $20 you're using the Interal Deca from the 44 and it just takes a while to get everything.

They did program some hot keys for jumping between PlayList & Series Manager and some others, about six months ago. But they never made it official by publishing the hot keys in the Help software section.

And everything in the GUI is in-house design & programing.

I'm hoping AT&T, when they are charge, get someone that know we're in the 21st century.

Guys I appreciate the replies. I can only hope that somehow over time the receiver acquires more data that aids in its ability to function properly.

I've used 3 different systems (older DC, new whole house DC and Dish hopper) with enough regularity and they are all more or less work as expected. If you say record first run, it only records first run, every time nothing less nothing more for years.

Why does DTV not know what is first run and what isn't on the same series I've been recording without fail for years?

I'm looking in the queue (7 clicks to verify what is on the docket for the day) and I see every Cops episode set to record. I verify that it is set for first run only but it is recording them all. I look at the air date and none is listed on them. I suspect this is why are all recorded.

Since it is set to keep 3, but even if I left it at the default of 5, there are several recording after the new one so unless it is watched quickly I presume I will lose it right away? If not, I have the review each one to find out which is new, ugh.

It sounds like most of you have either learned to live with the quite strange functionality of Genie or just haven't used something that works the way you would expect. I'm hoping the box develops some semblance of intelligence once it acquires more data, or pray for development based around use testing that will roll out in a firmware update before I end up paying the cancellation fees.

Again DTV itself I terms of the signal and channels is great. If I had used the Genie first though I would never had signed up. Mind you it was just one year ago the first time I used a hopper and I thought from the moment I used it that it seemed very intuitive and could do everything above that this one can't and with eas, so I don't think it is as much as a learning curve thing as opposed to design flaws and oversights.

I guess I will give it a week and see what happens. I have no doubt I can live with it if I had to but it is such a poor first impression coupled with the feeling of being trapped by a contract that exacerbates the frustration level.

Some of your comments are valid, some i think are just lack of familiarity. And I think you are trying to micromanage the system....

If the Genie has a conflict it will record the next showing of the program, you don't need to do anything.
Why do you care so much about what is going to be recorded (I assume you mean the todo list)? I look at my todo list maybe once or twice A YEAR...
If you click on a recorded program on List one more click on Other Showings wilkl give you a list of all future showings of the series.
The problem with the first air date/first run is a well known one, it's an issue that I have always believed DirecTV should be resolving with the guide provider but it continues to be an issue. The Genie is just following the rules, and DirecTv errs on the side of recording an episode rather than not.

Do a keyword search for MENUSC on you Genie to enable shortcuts. Then you will get these shortcuts. Menu 7 will take you to the to do list.
Menu 0. Settings
Menu 1. Movies
Menu 2. Sports
Menu 3. TV Shows
Menu 4. Smart Search
Menu 5. On Demand
Menu 6. Playlist
Menu 7. Manage Recordings
Menu 8. YouTube
Menu 9. Pandora

Guys I appreciate the replies. I can only hope that somehow over time the receiver acquires more data that aids in its ability to function properly.

I've used 3 different systems (older DC, new whole house DC and Dish hopper) with enough regularity and they are all more or less work as expected. If you say record first run, it only records first run, every time nothing less nothing more for years.

Why does DTV not know what is first run and what isn't on the same series I've been recording without fail for years?

I'm looking in the queue (7 clicks to verify what is on the docket for the day) and I see every Cops episode set to record. I verify that it is set for first run only but it is recording them all. I look at the air date and none is listed on them. I suspect this is why are all recorded.

Since it is set to keep 3, but even if I left it at the default of 5, there are several recording after the new one so unless it is watched quickly I presume I will lose it right away? If not, I have the review each one to find out which is new, ugh.

It sounds like most of you have either learned to live with the quite strange functionality of Genie or just haven't used something that works the way you would expect. I'm hoping the box develops some semblance of intelligence once it acquires more data, or pray for development based around use testing that will roll out in a firmware update before I end up paying the cancellation fees.

Again DTV itself I terms of the signal and channels is great. If I had used the Genie first though I would never had signed up. Mind you it was just one year ago the first time I used a hopper and I thought from the moment I used it that it seemed very intuitive and could do everything above that this one can't and with eas, so I don't think it is as much as a learning curve thing as opposed to design flaws and oversights.

I guess I will give it a week and see what happens. I have no doubt I can live with it if I had to but it is such a poor first impression coupled with the feeling of being trapped by a contract that exacerbates the frustration level.

Tell us again why you went away from something you liked so well to something that you don't want to give time to get to figure out ?

As others said, the Air Date is right there ...
I can go to any new show or new recording of mine and quickly determine it is a New or a repeat ..
I ONLY record New current shows, example NCIS, tyhey have been on for 13 or so years, I have ny Genie set to record New and it NEVER records a Rerun.

I think the OP is mainly referring to shows like Cops on the secondary channels, where a show is repeated hundreds of times and many of them don't have air dates, or indeed any episode info at all. That's the fault of the channel or the guide provider, but I have always thought DirecTv should be more proactive in getting the guide provider to do a better job.

With both D* and E*, if you do the double-tap to record a series and the show you are on is a repeat, the timer will set to 'new and reruns'. Of course you can edit the timer so that doesn't happen.

But when I had D* I noticed that setting a series timer recorded the first episode of a series even if it was a rerun and the timer said 'new'. After that it would only record 'new', with the exception of the channels whose guide doesn't have the info.

Yes, it does record the first episode. The DVR uses the episode as a "marker" to set up the seriers link so you always get the first one even if it is a repeat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts