HR54 confirmed Esata enclosures?

• Yes, things may look a little strange... Our Forum software has been updated!

Yes... things may look strange at the moment, but we have upgraded to Xenforo 2.1. We are still working on setting everything up. And while things may look strange, be assured that we will be working to return the looks you are use to at a later time.

Thank you for your support!
    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMetro

USA
Anyone been able to confirm enclosures that work with the HR54? I just got one and want to expand the storage. I was thinking about some 6TB WD Purple drives. Anyone have any experience with these on the HR54?

Best regards,
ElectroMetro

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cheshire CT
:welcome to Satelliteguys ElectroMetro!

I've always thought there is no need for an external hard drive that big, but I don't use mine for archiving, only time shifting. I suspect any one that works on the previous models should be fine for the HR54.

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
There are so few HR54s around, and even less with people who might be concerned about external drives, I don't think there is any real info out there on this.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Can't believe people want to put larger that a TB or maybe 2 at most, but 6 is quite excessive.
If your recording that much on the drive, how are you gonna feel when all that is gone when the drive eventually fails ?

They all fail eventually ... and people complain that they lost thier shows .. :confused:

Reactions: ejb1980

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
It's just that most HR54s have been new customer installs and the customer probably does not know or care about adding an external drive.

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Can't believe people want to put larger that a TB or maybe 2 at most, but 6 is quite excessive.
If your recording that much on the drive, how are you gonna feel when all that is gone when the drive eventually fails ?

They all fail eventually ... and people complain that they lost thier shows .. :confused:
I don't think there is any point either. The DVR is a time delay device, it's not designed for archiving....

peds48

SatelliteGuys Pro
New York

RIght on! those are the ones that see the DVR as an archive device instead of its real purpose which is to timeshift. My Genie never gets pass 40% full with a stock drive.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
RIght on! those are the ones that see the DVR as an archive device instead of its real purpose which is to timeshift. My Genie never gets pass 40% full with a stock drive.
I'm at 45% right now, however, I have kept ALL my series shows from the beginning, just so I can watch one again if I forget an episode ... then I will delete all but the last few before the new season starts and delete the previous season once the new gets started.

ElectroMetro

USA
Well I figured out that complainign to the retention department just right they send you an HR54. So now I want to get all my shows on there and not have to worry about removing them anytime soon. If I do lose them when the drive dies then oh well. I'm unaware of any that worked on the previous models as I didn't own an external drive for my HR34.

Thanks again

cinsu

SatelliteGuys Pro
If you want to ship me a hard drive I can try it out on my 54 ;) at this point the 54 runs essentially the same software as the 34 and 44 so I would assume it works the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.