Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For those wondering about the HS17-100 and the PDF that was posted, I have been told that the HS17 will be for commercial use (such as sports bars) and there are no plans to make it available to consumers.

I am once again told that there will be no new receivers for consumers in the year 2017.

I am only repeating what I have been told, I don't work for AT&T and thus when I ask them to verify this information I can only pass along what I am told.

Remember folks only SatelliteGuys was with DIRECTV and reporting from their EXPO this year.

This would be a good sign even if it is for Commercial use only.
It would be starting a whole new series model number wise anyways.

Previously someone mentioned a HR17, which didn't make any sense seeing you would expect them to continue with the rotation they have been going with.

As Scott mentioned, the new Commercial one is a HS ... not sure what the HS designates, if anything.

Scott, is this the doc you were referencing?

While it makes sense this would be for commercial use, it really is crazy that they don't have a 4K Genie replacement in the channel.
Even when they do finish designing some sort of home head-end to serve the clients/RVU, there are some users that would be better off with just one receiver for one 4k tv.

Hopefully if it is successful on the commercial side, and the costs are in line, they'll look to this type of solution in 2018 for consumers. It certainly gives DirecTV a "premium" feel.

11 Tuners, 7 active client streams at once (8 clients supported), 2TB drive, wireless bridge built-in, two 4K streams, backward compatible, and not a receiver, solely a server.
That is a nice upgrade for power users.

As for the intended audience, sports bar and such, that is a great solution to support 7 RVU TVs or a small client boxes at each TV (or in bigger places supporting 7 feeds into HDMI splitters) using one server.

IIRC commercial installs don't get DVR's so why make a box with a 2TB hard drive if you can't do DVR functions?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

For those wondering about the HS17-100 and the PDF that was posted, I have been told that the HS17 will be for commercial use (such as sports bars) and there are no plans to make it available to consumers.

I am once again told that there will be no new receivers for consumers in the year 2017.

I am only repeating what I have been told, I don't work for AT&T and thus when I ask them to verify this information I can only pass along what I am told.

Remember folks only SatelliteGuys was with DIRECTV and reporting from their EXPO this year.

Being a posting member here from the begining I can say you have an excellent history overall with info you post.

Reactions: lazydogmot
In the FCC doc they also showed the HS-17-500. Isn't the 500 made by Humax and 100 is by Technicolor? What if the 500 is for home and the 100 is for commercial? I still hope they do one that outputted to 4k over HDMI. However, I would be afraid if I went with the HR-54/C61k this year then next year they did a server that outputted to 4k over HDMI.

It's puzzling that "D"/ AT@T is allowing Dish Network to go unchallenged in pushing the HDDVR market. I expected some kind of answer to the newest generation Hopper 3.

IIRC commercial installs don't get DVR's so why make a box with a 2TB hard drive if you can't do DVR functions?
Good point. Plus I've been to some bars with more than 7 TV's. Maybe they'll install more of these if they have more TV's?

11 tuners? 7 streams? dvr? does not sound commercial
you would have 4 unused streams and as it was said before commercial doesnt usually get a dvr

i am beginning to think no one at directv knows whats happening

This pub I like to go to sometimes I have see it with Genie Mini's. Would that mean they would have an HR44 or HR 34 installed?

I've seen some bars that use HD-DVR. Hockeytown in Detroit for example replays the Wings and Tigers games throughout the day and I've seen them use the remote to view list and restart after they finished. There are many that rely on live TV almost exclusively.

I could see the server for commercial use, but could see it extending to home use if it works well and they can get the cost down. I view it is a premium product at first and eventually after a year or two or so becoming their mainstream offering, much like the Genie did.

It is compelling for a home as well, 11 tuners, stream to 7 rooms, every TV either needs only a client box, wireless client box, or RVU, larger 2TB drive, it is compelling and competitive. Hopefully it will become consumer based before too long goes by.

Hopefully if it is successful on the commercial side, and the costs are in line, they'll look to this type of solution in 2018 for consumers. It certainly gives DirecTV a "premium" feel.

11 Tuners, 7 active client streams at once (8 clients supported), 2TB drive, wireless bridge built-in, two 4K streams, backward compatible, and not a receiver, solely a server.
That is a nice upgrade for power users.

As for the intended audience, sports bar and such, that is a great solution to support 7 RVU TVs or a small client boxes at each TV (or in bigger places supporting 7 feeds into HDMI splitters) using one server.

A lot of sports bar's have at least 8 feeds will this work with 2 on the same network? 2 on the same account with 2 networks easy to split up with an matrix switcher for the tv's. Will ESPN4K and other 4k sports channels have HDCP?

Is there an COM 1000/2000 like system in the works for bar's with it being build for easy channel changing with maybe multi HDMI out matrix switcher, clear qam out, iptv out (no Pro:Idiom)

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Local ad's?

It's puzzling that "D"/ AT@T is allowing Dish Network to go unchallenged in pushing the HDDVR market. I expected some kind of answer to the newest generation Hopper 3.
They want to have a box that can do IPTV (U-verse tv) and Sat. The sports bar's need way more then what U-verse tv copper limits are and most bar's have multi switched stacks of boxes this does not look like it will stack / rack that well.

Now if there willing to run fiber to the bar's with out the DIA fiber pricing and have an disk less U-verse master box / let you have at least 8 feeds and add NHL CI, NBA LP, MLB EI, NFL ST, ESPN college extra, all CSN and FSN DTV feeds, etc to U-verse + an bit rate boost.

A lot of sports bar's have at least 8 feeds will this work with 2 on the same network? 2 on the same account with 2 networks easy to split up with an matrix switcher for the tv's. Will ESPN4K and other 4k sports channels have HDCP?

Is there an COM 1000/2000 like system in the works for bar's with it being build for easy channel changing with maybe multi HDMI out matrix switcher, clear qam out, iptv out (no Pro:Idiom)

Local ad's?

That and some events are pre taped, so I wonder if they can push those through in a DVR sort of fashon. Also, I could see them doing interactive gaming and other interactive options with this. Also, Yes I am sure ESPN4K will have HDCP as well as all other channels. Going forward I would expect everything to have HDCP.

They want to have a box that can do IPTV (U-verse tv) and Sat.
IMHO AT&T isn't worried anymore about U-Verse TV (IPTV), it's dead going forward and never should have started in the first place. Now if you're talking about a box that has added functionality to access content on the internet then yea I can see that being added in the future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)