HS17-100 (For those wondering)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The one thing I don't like how you can't have the H/HR equipment hooked up to the HS-17. If the HS-17 breaks you are screwed and can't watch TV until they ship you another one. Unless they will have plenty of these on hand and then they could ship you one the next day. Even on the weekends.
How big of a concern is that, really?

The LNB is also a single point of failure, and that is exposed to wide temperature swings and everything else associated with being out in the elements.

If you have an Apple TV / Amazon Fire TV / Roku box you can watch live TV streams through a number of the channel-specific apps (HGTV, FOX Sports Go, NBC Sports, etc) that could also cover you in a pinch if any element of your satellite service is interrupted.

The one thing I don't like how you can't have the H/HR equipment hooked up to the HS-17. If the HS-17 breaks you are screwed and can't watch TV until they ship you another one. Unless they will have plenty of these on hand and then they could ship you one the next day. Even on the weekends.
Can one fail and you lose all TV. But I guess DIRECTV has enough data on the amount of Genie's failing and feel it's not going to be an issue. Plus with all the streaming services programming out there I know I could live without the HS-17 for a couple days until a replacement came. And as someone that's been allowed to do testing in the past I had 3 Genie's active and had no problem removing them from my system for the HS17.

How big of a concern is that, really?

The LNB is also a single point of failure, and that is exposed to wide temperature swings and everything else associated with being out in the elements.

If you have an Apple TV / Amazon Fire TV / Roku box you can watch live TV streams through a number of the channel-specific apps (HGTV, FOX Sports Go, NBC Sports, etc) that could also cover you in a pinch if any element of your satellite service is interrupted.

those devices dont have hard drives

Can one fail and you lose all TV. But I guess DIRECTV has enough data on the amount of Genie's failing and feel it's not going to be an issue. Plus with all the streaming services programming out there I know I could live without the HS-17 for a couple days until a replacement came. And as someone that's been allowed to do testing in the past I had 3 Genie's active and had no problem removing them from my system for the HS17.

why does everyone always mention "i can just stream"
people forget that many satellite tv users cannot stream. they have sat because its thier only option, even OTA is spotty. remember rural customers are the base of sat tv providers

Reactions: Jimbo
why does everyone always mention "i can just stream"
people forget that many satellite tv users cannot stream. they have sat because its thier only option, even OTA is spotty. remember rural customers are the base of sat tv providers
Then there is nothing that says they have to get a HS17 then, they can get HR2X's/H2X's to their hearts content.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Sure, but if the hard drive is the only concern then all it takes is hooking up an eSATA drive and you're in business again.
All it takes? If you're talking about hooking up a EHD via eSATA, try going into Best Buy and finding a plug and play EHD that you can use with any Directv DVR.

All it takes? If you're talking about hooking up a EHD via eSATA, try going into Best Buy and finding a plug and play EHD that you can use with any Directv DVR.
Amazon product ASIN B00A628QYE
These are handy to have around for a number of reasons, and it would work just fine with any old hard drive you have laying around.

There's nothing special about the eSATA hard drives for anything except the Genie Lite. Plug in pretty much any hard drive and it will work just fine after the receiver formats it for use.

It doesn't have to be pretty -- it just has to give you a functional receiver until your ATT/DirecTV replacement receiver arrives and you ship your unit with the defective hard drive back.

Rumor has it that the HS17 acts like other Genies where if the hard drive dies the box will still work, just no DVR functions.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Amazon product ASIN B00A628QYE
These are handy to have around for a number of reasons, and it would work just fine with any old hard drive you have laying around.

There's nothing special about the eSATA hard drives for anything except the Genie Lite. Plug in pretty much any hard drive and it will work just fine after the receiver formats it for use.

It doesn't have to be pretty -- it just has to give you a functional receiver until your ATT/DirecTV replacement receiver arrives and you ship your unit with the defective hard drive back.
What about using it as a EHD. The new K content tales up a lot of hard drive space.

thats another strike. if your going to have a single unit with that many minis. imagine the issues with just a 4 person family

Ah, yes. A feature that was only ever available on 1 receiver per account.

We're approaching this territory now..

33609109101_c851bd4570_m.jpg

Reactions: TermiNader
Ah, yes. A feature that was only ever available on 1 receiver per account.

We're approaching this territory now..

33609109101_c851bd4570_m.jpg

It's built into their currently flagship model of receiver. It's not like I'm pining for autotune or a real working OTA scan. Pipe down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)