HS17 and adding a wireless client.

N-Tence

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dayton Ohio
Hello,

I have an HS17 server with 6-4K clients. I’d like to add a wireless client in the garage.

The HS17 is hard wired to the router but both are in the basement.

The wireless client would be a good distance from the HS17.

Does the wireless client need to be close to the HS17 to work or does the wireless client use your home WiFi? I have a good wireless signal in garage.

Thanks,

The maximum distance between the wireless video bridge and the wireless mini is 80 feet and that's pushing it.. then you have to worry about things like interference from wiring and so on!!! you might need a WIFI extender and or repeater

The maximum distance between the wireless video bridge and the wireless mini is 80 feet and that's pushing it.. then you have to worry about things like interference from wiring and so on!!! you might need a WIFI extender and or repeater
Any WiFi extender you would recommend to use for the HS17?

If you're planning on extending the HS17's wireless network you must use the DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge, WVB, see DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge Router for Genie Receivers(WVB). You can connect it using a coax run that's going to one of your C61K's that's closest to where you want to place the C61W (recommend that vs the C41W for the improved UI speed). There's even a loop-though on the WVB so you don't even need an external splitter. The HS17 will automatically see the additional WVB and give it the same SSID as the internal WVB on the HS17 and you're good to go.

I have two C61W's on the second floor of the house on the opposite side of where the HS17 is on the 1st floor. The clients would connect but one of them was getting a yellow network LED indicating the signal wasn't that good. Put the external WVB up on the second floor and all is good.

Reactions: John2021
If you're planning on extending the HS17's wireless network you must use the DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge, WVB, see DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge Router for Genie Receivers(WVB). You can connect it using a coax run that's going to one of your C61K's that's closest to where you want to place the C61W (recommend that vs the C41W for the improved UI speed). There's even a loop-though on the WVB so you don't even need an external splitter. The HS17 will automatically see the additional WVB and give it the same SSID as the internal WVB on the HS17 and you're good to go.

I have two C61W's on the second floor of the house on the opposite side of where the HS17 is on the 1st floor. The clients would connect but one of them was getting a yellow network LED indicating the signal wasn't that good. Put the external WVB up on the second floor and all is good.
Ok so why does a hardwired mini need a wifi conn???

Ok so why does a hardwired mini need a wifi conn???
The OP said he wanted to add a wireless mini but was worried about distance from the HS17, I told him how to fix that issue. No where did I say anything about a hardwired mini.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)