hsp employee getting ripped off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

runvs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Connecticut
i think I'm getting ripped off. i work for a hsp and i get 45 12.5per i can charge custom labor and for wall fishes. i can also charge for specail mounts but the hsp is making money off my labor so i don't. I'm doing 5-6 jobs a day and have a hard time clearing 800 something is seriously wrong here.

800 a day is a LOT of money per year... or did you mean per week?

aec4 said:
800 a day is a LOT of money per year... or did you mean per week?

I did 600 in a day one time. 8 single room installs, all in the same zipcode (very rare, indeed). I ended up pulling 14 hours+ that day, and a lot of it was from customers bombing the credit check and wasting loads of my time with their BS.

Run, are you running your truck or theirs? Are you supplying anything OTHER than labor?

chad,

sweet day!! i had a daily streak like that during the P* conversions, made 580 that day, same as you same zip, all within 4 miles of each other. ahhhhh the good old days......sigh.

yes 8oo a week. i use their van and the pay for everything. so you did 8 1tv installs in a day? that would be 360 for me 45x8

im getting a little screwed here though i get the jobs no one wants to do. cause i can? cause i will? averege day i have to at least 1kaku, 4set, svc call, international, dvr upgrade

for an example there was a mix up today. i have the day off but they routed me. get this 2-2tv, 5tv, and a kaku upgrade

runvs said:
i use their van and they pay for everything. so you did 8 1tv installs in a day? that would be 360 for me 45x8
You think that is getting screwed? Try to supply everything , even your own vehicle and gas (no pay for mileage) expect you to travel 1.5 hrs. or more (one way) to do a 20 dollar service call. Yes, get paid 50/20 also no proper training your supervisor is not even SBCA certified. Upgrades (KA/KU and International) only 20. And you are expected to run phone lines to all IRD`S at no extra. What is also funny while management is finding ways to pick your pocket, they are cutting corners and expect you to do all quality work with out cutting corners. D* started to cut corners when they no longer provided jumpers or a channel line up guide with thier equipment. The tech is now expected to provide. The HSP i use to work for was Mastec. Warning to all installers BE AWARE when getting involved with Mastec, unless you like working for free.

Last edited:
Yesterday i did

A service call, 4 room install, 2 room install, 1 room install, and a 4 room install

Left my house at 8am got home at 7pm....

beat that...oh wait traveled....360 miles this day also...

Ok, yesterday i traveled less than 20 miles and did 2 (4 room install) dishnetwork. and left @ 8 home @2pm and made 400 on both before custom work total 550 with custom included. Both customers very happy with thier service:) And yes happy to be an Ex HSP:D

Last edited:
$45 a single is a rip off and you need to do 8 jobs a day. Being my own sell and installation, two single room could get this much instead of 8 jobs a day.

It probably 7 or 8 years ago, I was made, not include the selling of equipment, doing installation on three job plus trip charge, after gas expensive, I was pocket some like $960 on that day, included the sell profits total $1300.00 in one day.

Yes, I was charged customers $360 per installation, all jobs at the same city, BUT, I was driving 7 hours one way to there, from Dallas to Tulsa at Oklahoma, leave home 5 in the morning and home next morning at 4.

I believed at that time, not many installer will actually doing KU band installation, especially at Oklahoma, one customer called me to do her job at Oklahoma city, and her relatives as well, same city, so, when ever I work there, there at least three jobs or I will not go. When I was at the lady home, and there already dish up, lady claimed the dish was installed by a DBS installer at local when he did a small dish at neibor, the lady call him to do her, which is KU dish, that installer seem done something wrong and end up the dish up side down and never able to get a signal.And that was the real quick installation for me.

THese the good old days and we may never will see it again.

With so much greedy peoples and companies, installers are being cheated and cut the pay, but there still some good company to work with as sub contractors. the one I last work actually has $10 gained on pay, that make it $100 per single and $20 addition, and they paid from 15 to 20 percent of you pay for the materials. and if you order stuff from the company they contracted, in this case, DSI, you get extra 10 percent off from the listed price, which itsn't too bad. beside, its lots better then greedy companies.

I knew there lots peoples think quantity can make up the difference, but you hard work do not get any respect, and when time you get slow down, you willl just get kick by them which you never understand WHY ?

I used to be a self contrator for time warner cable in northern Indianapolis, I got paid per job. So at 7 am I called my pm jobs and knocked them out 1st thing in the morning if they were home, then do my AM jobs, I would show up at my pm jobs not done in the AM at noon, If no one was home, BOOM doortag! Most days I was on the golf course by 1 pm!! making 2 grand a week through them. But making another 2 grand a week TAX FREE doing wall fishes in the evening. They cant do wallfises during a install, and the city prohibited house wraps! So every AM the in house guys would give us a stack of people that needed wallfishes. The inhouse guys did not have the isurance to do them. I loved those days!!!!!

runvs said:
yes 8oo a week. i use their van and the pay for everything. so you did 8 1tv installs in a day? that would be 360 for me 45x8

As a former HSP POV tech I can tell you that what you are getting is not too bad. Using my truck and tools I got $60/$25/$25 had to run phone lines, do free pole mounts (w/concrete) and bury coax, $25 for a wallfish. The company I worked for (Bruister & Associates) brought in a lot of COV's and ran off most of the senior POV techs in favor of hiring new COV techs at the very low rate of $10 per hour. Our senior techs (of which I was one) joined together and tried to get a union voted in (the CWA). Most all of us got canned for our efforts. The company drummed up a bunch of lame excuses for the firings, but everyone knew it was all about the attempt to unionize. Seeing us get canned scared all the other techs into caving in and accepting the changes and the lower salaries (many of the techs who were POV were forced to take COV's to keep their jobs). A senior POV tech (a tech with more than 2 years experience) who had been making an average of $25-$35 was suddenly only making a top rate of $12.50 per hour and required to work a full 40 hours per week. Any tech who has been in the business for a while will tell you that unless you count every second you are working, doing paperwork and enroute to get equipment or to attend a tech meeting, that you will rarely put in a full 40 hours in a 6 day week (unless it is during the summer when the install rate is very high).

Last edited:
Anyone who is in the business who is making hourly wages is getting their a hole screwed. I usually have no problem bringing home 800 per week. I usually do 2 or 3 Hughes installs per day which pay 60 per. Also poles, wallfishes, if I sell wireless parts and install them all are extra I can make. The company I work for takes care of anything I need; van, gas, tools, etc. I also do some Directv work but very little.

Stevo i used to work for mastec in north carolina you think you had it bad they lowed the pay rate to 35 for a single here and 11.05 for an extra box installer if the phone lines where are where not ran then they took an extra 80 out every month for the truck and they charged u back for all the phone lines u did not run on that check. and then they liked to keep money for some of the jobs not paying you i did not get paid for some service calls and some equipment pickups. and now i hear sence i left they strarted to charge all the inhouse guys for small parts... i am glad i left there.. i had to drive to sc everyday when i lived in nc and was expected to drive 300-400 miles a day and get 5-6 jobs a day done i completed over 90 workorders in one month.. and only made like 3800 before taxes.. when i first strated back in 04 the pay rate was 4o for a install 12.50 for extra box and 20 for service call... oo ya u got to watch out for the people that try to screw u and charge u back for a service call

mastecinstaller said:
Stevo i used to work for mastec in north carolina you think you had it bad they lowed the pay rate to 35 for a single here and 11.05 for an extra box installer if the phone lines where are where not ran then they took an extra 80 out every month for the truck and they charged u back for all the phone lines u did not run on that check. and then they liked to keep money for some of the jobs not paying you i did not get paid for some service calls and some equipment pickups. and now i hear sence i left they strarted to charge all the inhouse guys for small parts... i am glad i left there.. i had to drive to sc everyday when i lived in nc and was expected to drive 300-400 miles a day and get 5-6 jobs a day done i completed over 90 workorders in one month.. and only made like 3800 before taxes.. when i first strated back in 04 the pay rate was 4o for a install 12.50 for extra box and 20 for service call... oo ya u got to watch out for the people that try to screw u and charge u back for a service call

D*, the HSP's and contractors can only expect to get hack installers for those rates. The turn over rate for installers is high enough as it is, now it is going to take a big jump as the good techs jump ship and find new jobs either with DishNetwork or cable. I know I have no plans to do any D* installs anytime soon (not at those slave wages). I'm doing LCD/Plasma wall mounts and home theatre installs. Not as busy as I'd like, but it beats getting raped working for an HSP like Bruister & A$$holes.
Hey Barnburner, are you still lurking around Satguys? If you are then I wish you a happy cinco de mayo, go eat a big juan you sleaze scumbag.

uboatcmdr said:
I'm doing LCD/Plasma wall mounts and home theatre installs. Not as busy as I'd like, but it beats getting raped working for an HSP like Bruister & A$$holes.

Argh... I used to work for those jerks during the P* conversions. I'd have to drive 50 miles just to reprogram someone's remote! They eventually made some crap up and fired me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)