HTC Fuze or iPhone???

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I am getting a new phone and have narrowed my choices down to two, iPhone and HTC Fuze. I currently have AT&T and am not leaving since I will not be able to beat my old grandfathered Pac Bell plan (yes I am able to add the data plan without changing my current plan). I have reasearched both phones and am still on the fence. I would be curious to read what you guys thinks, including the pros and cons of both.

the fuze is a gsm version of the touch pro. I like my CDMA (Sprint) touch pro. The iPhone has it's groupies, but I prefer the Windows Mobile stuff. More apps, less restrictions.

That said, ATT's restrictions (I.E. no sling, etc) apply equally to both the Fuze and the iPhone.

the fuze is a gsm version of the touch pro. I like my CDMA (Sprint) touch pro. The iPhone has it's groupies, but I prefer the Windows Mobile stuff. More apps, less restrictions.

That said, ATT's restrictions (I.E. no sling, etc) apply equally to both the Fuze and the iPhone.
I wasn't aware that all the ATT PDA phones had the 3G Sling restriction. I thought the restriction applied to the iPhone only due to Apples restrictions.

I am leaning towards a WM6.1 (the Fuze has 6.0) OS due to the fact that it has more apps and fewer restrictions. I do like the bigger screen and bigger icons and the ease of use of the iPhone. When I was playing with both, it was quicker for me to learn where the apps are on the iPhone vs the apps and folders on the Fuze, even though I am a windows guy (In fact, I do not care for MAC OS on computers).

The hard restriction doesn't exist on the Fuze since there are none. You can install whatever applications you like with no restrictions on a windows mobile phone. The only ones that exists for the Fuze would be in your terms of service.

My choice... Windows mobile phones win hands down. No big brother telling you what you can use on your phone.

Dodger, It really all depends on what you are going to use your phone for. Before I bought my iPhone, I tried a blackberry and a windows mobile phone. For me the iPhone was a no-brainer. The ease of use and the web browsing capabilities were they key features that brought me over to it.

The only one drawback right now for the iPhone is having to have the applications be approved prior to going out to your phone. Now there are ways to get around this also if you are willing to jailbrake your iPhone. You can even get around the sling restrictions with that.

All and all this is really a personal preference as you are the one that has to be happy with what is chosen. My best advise is to play around as much as you can with them prior to your choice. You might also see what the return policy is on the phone and just try one out for 30 days first. This is what I did as i tried the phone out and was able to return the Windows mobile phone.

The AT&T/Sling restriction isn't strictly for the iPhone. It's AT&T's policy. The Sling player works on the iPhone over WiFi only.

I like my Fuze. But I'm not the usual smartphone user so the iPhone wasn't an option.

I need to run applications that normal users do not use like server management programs and remote access. I upkeep a few servers and in an emergency it's great that I can fix a few problems through my phone if I don't have my laptop handy.

I like my Fuze. But I'm not the usual smartphone user so the iPhone wasn't an option.

I need to run applications that normal users do not use like server management programs and remote access. I upkeep a few servers and in an emergency it's great that I can fix a few problems through my phone if I don't have my laptop handy.
I too am not a typical smartphoner in the sense that I don't typically do the two things cell phones are primarily used for, talking and texting. I will mainly use it for networking, internet, ex. I hate talking on the phone and I don't care to text.

I too am not a typical smartphoner in the sense that I don't typically do the two things cell phones are primarily used for, talking and texting. I will mainly use it for networking, internet, ex. I hate talking on the phone and I don't care to text.

I can tether the phone to my laptop when I need internet on my laptop using Internet Connection sharing.

so what tools do you run that are not available on the iPhone?

Then I think you will like the Fuze!

Your best bet is to go to a AT&T store and try both of them. Since a big part will be Internet, visit a few sites that you know that you will frequent.

so what tools do you run that are not available on the iPhone?

There's a bunch of networking stuff. There seems to be much more software available for WM for what I need than what Apple has approved for the iPhone.

I would try both phones DodgerKing and see what you think.
I'm running a great build of the Windows Mobile 6.5 and it is great!

There's a bunch of networking stuff. There seems to be much more software available for WM for what I need than what Apple has approved for the iPhone.

Like what? I am not trying to bash one or the other here. This has been a pretty good discussion on this topic. Or is your problem with Apple and how they approve the software through the app store? If it is the app store issue, then I couldn't agree more.

I would try both phones DodgerKing and see what you think.

I couldn't agree more. Dodger, you should also think about some types of applications that you might want to use down the road and then look to see if they have them available for either of the phones. The app store is very easy to look through using iTunes even if you don't have an iPhone.

Like what? I am not trying to bash one or the other here. This has been a pretty good discussion on this topic. Or is your problem with Apple and how they approve the software through the app store? If it is the app store issue, then I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more. Dodger, you should also think about some types of applications that you might want to use down the road and then look to see if they have them available for either of the phones. The app store is very easy to look through using iTunes even if you don't have an iPhone.
PDF files???

Adobe makes a Windows Mobile PDF reader that comes on the Fuze stock ROM if I remember correctly.

I guess I'll bring up what I just used today so far.

I use some Citrix server apps where I can remotely access my servers with full live screenshots at 640x480 resolution and also be able to easily transfer files wherever I am.

I like that I don't have to buy an app just to listen to an online radio audio stream that uses Windows Media or Shoutcast. I've been told that the iPhone does not fully support all Window Media streams yet.

I love that the Fuze can double as a wireless router and feed any of my wireless cards an internet connection in a pinch.

Garmin has great GPS software that looks like their GPS units and works great on the Fuze.

And I really like to be able to copy and paste :D

Last edited:
I guess I'll bring up what I just used today so far.

I use some Citrix server apps where I can remotely access my servers with full live screenshots at 640x480 resolution and also be able to easily transfer files wherever I am.

I like that I don't have to buy an app just to listen to an online radio audio stream that uses Windows Media or Shoutcast. I've been told that the iPhone does not fully support all Window Media streams yet.

I love that the Fuze can double as a wireless router and feed any of my wireless cards an internet connection in a pinch.

Garmin has great GPS software that looks like their GPS units and works great on the Fuze.

And I really like to be able to copy and paste :D

Thanks for the info. I can see if these are big things for you right now how the Fuze is a better device for you. (At least for now) The one big thing that I can't wait for is the GPS software that is supposed to come with 3.0. This is the one piece that I would really love to have. I get buy with using google maps right now and it has done pretty good for me. The only bad part is no turn by turn voice instructions. Not very friendly in heavy traffic.

The only one that I know of a solution for is the Citrix application. Citrix themselves make a free app for the iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts