Htl-hd Cable Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
I just received my HTL-HD which I bought used on EBAY. I have to questions as to the optimal way to set this up. Will it make an actual difference(one that I will really notice) if I use component video cables instead of a DVI cable?

Do all DVI cables actually cost $100? Is it really worth it?

Also...how should I set myself up to optimally view the SD stations. I'm assuming that if I use the component or DVI I will have artifacts everywhere. Am I correct? I have inouts available on my TV to use a coax, a composite video or an S-Video cable. What do you suggest?

or

is there a way to tell the receiver to only send out an analog signal on the analog stations???

Mine came with the DVI cable, but I got it directly from Directv.

You can get a DVI-D cable for as little as $10. I use it because my DVD player and Xbox take up the 2 component inputs I have. To me a DVI cable is a DVI cable. No need to spend $100 for it.

I am hooked up with component and I enjoy it fine. I did for fun hook it up to my 17" LCD using DVI ... I would say better contrast ratio, but that is the display not the connection. Since DVI is all digital with no conversion, I would expect that you would get a slightly improved picture with DVI.

No ... not $100, buy the cheapest DVI-D cable you can find even if this is at Walmart. Coming from a guy that has all Monster Cables ... these only make a difference with analog signals.

The last one I don't know ... I have not tried.

I'm using the component cables because my HDTV set does not have DVI. Picture looks great to me, but I don't have any way to compare to DVI.

I use DVI with my projector and yes it is a bit better than other connection methods but the length limitation is a bit of a problem with you have a front projector 30 feet away.

InFocus also sells a longer cable but be wary about the ability of the unit driving the signals....I have a sat-hd300 and every once and a while I will lose "lock" but by switching modes I can get it back.

I will be setting up my new HTL-HD soon, myself. Is the component cable that comes with the STB acceptable, or should I seek a higher quality cable?

ramcm7 said:
I will be setting up my new HTL-HD soon, myself. Is the component cable that comes with the STB acceptable, or should I seek a higher quality cable?
Since component is an analog connection I would look for the series 2 or better monster cable. I have a series 3 and there is a substantial difference between this and the factory cable, specifically in color saturation. I did test it, and the difference on the same equipment was even noticed by my wife who does not notice much in the way of audio/video. For digital connections .. save your money i.e., if you decide to go to DVI all cables are created equal since the signal digital and not analog.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)