HTL-HD Receiver & Format

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OTAHDFORME

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
After three years of ignorant bliss, I am trying to become familiar with all the bells and whistles of my HTL-HD receiver and how it interfaces with the my Mitsubishi WS-55313 TV.

As I started trying to determine what format we were viewing programming in, I had become convinced that we were never viewing anything in 1080i through the component set-up, so I started poking around in the settings for both the TV and HDTV receiver.

All I thought I was seeing using the component input was 480i ... so ... I ended up switching from the component connection to a DVI connection and subsequently discovered the Format settings on the front of the receiver.

I finally got the Display Interface Indicator on the receiver set to DVI and the Display Format Indicator goes back and forth between 1080i, 480p and 480i. However, at some point in time today, it got "stuck" on 480p and is no longer automatically changing.

What would cause it to get "stuck" and how do I get it "unstuck" so it will change format settings when I switch from an HD program to a SD program? I'm going cross-eyed trying to determine when a problem is with settings on the TV vs settings on the HDTV Receiver.

Yes, I had an HTL-HD for over 3 years for my DirecTV system - only replaced it for the MEG-4 capabilities of the H20.
There is a chart on p.11 of the owners manual which, although somewhat confusing, should give you everything you need to make the correct DISPLAY FORMAT setting on your HTL-HD. You must know the native resolution capability of your Mitsubishi. For instance, my Sony RPTV is capable of 1080I and 480P which makes VARIABLE 2 the correct setting for me. Hope this helps.:)

Yes, I had an HTL-HD for over 3 years for my DirecTV system - only replaced it for the MEG-4 capabilities of the H20.
There is a chart on p.11 of the owners manual which, although somewhat confusing, should give you everything you need to make the correct DISPLAY FORMAT setting on your HTL-HD. You must know the native resolution capability of your Mitsubishi. For instance, my Sony RPTV is capable of 1080I and 480P which makes VARIABLE 2 the correct setting for me. Hope this helps.:)

I think when my husband was "helping" with some other troubleshooting, he was messing with the TV input on the TV remote. I have just about worn out my receiver and TV owner's guides and page 11 IS somewhat confusing, but I think I have it now ... at least when using the DVI connection. ;) I did resolve that particular issue, but now I have another one.

Because I was not experiencing what I thought I should through the component cables, I had switched to DVI. WOW!!! But ... I still wanted to know why I couldn't get a viewable picture using the component cables and jacks (and appropriate input selection from the TV.)

I had determined that I needed to use Variable 2 on the Receiver format because my TV supports 1080i, 480p and 480i, but not 720p. However, even with the receiver set to Variable 2 (and the TV input set to the appropriate source) the channels were not coming in properly. I have a migraine from looking at the various assortment of "displays" of jittery lines moving from one side of the screen to the other and multiple images in multiple horizontal rows dancing before my eyes. :eek:

So ... I experimented. I removed the cables from the original set of component jacks on the TV (this set is specifically labeled "DTV" on the Mitsubishi) and moved them to Component 2 jacks. When I did this, and changed the TV input to match, the Variable 2 format settings on the receiver function as intended. When I change channels, and go from an HD program to a SD program, it switches from 1080i to 480p.

I still want to know what the problem is with using the "DTV" component jacks on the TV, so I moved my component cables back from "Component 2" to "DTV" on the TV. The "Type" switch on the back of the receiver is still properly switched to use component instead of DVI.

When using Variable 2 as the Display Format mode on the receiver, I was not getting a viewable picture (sound, but no picture.) Then, I discovered that if I changed the Format on the receiver to 480i instead of any of the other options (1080i, 720p, 480p, native, variable 1 and variable 2 and variable 3) ... I had a viewable picture. But ...I expect more than just 480i from this set of jacks! :(

I'm one step closer to figuring this out, but how do I determine if the problem is with the receiver or the TV (or my lack of knowledge?) If the problem is with the TV, I want to get it fixed before my four year service plan through Best Buy is up. But ... I don't want to call them out here if I'm not certain it is the TV. If the problem is with the receiver, I can use Component 2 or DVI connections on the TV until if and when I decide to upgrade the receiver.

A lot of info there, but if I was to guess it would be:
Your Component 1 (DTV) Jacks on the TV are defective since the component output from the HTL-HD has been shown to work but only if connected to Component 2 of your TV.
Let us know if there is something I'm not interpreting correctly from your previos post.:confused:

Last edited:
A lot of info there, but if I was to guess it would be:
Your Component 1 (DTV) Jacks on the TV are defective since the component output from the HTL-HD has been shown to work but only if connected to Component 2 of your TV.
Let us know if there is something I'm not interpreting correctly from your previos post.:confused:

The back panel of the TV has Component 1, Component 2 and a separate "DTV" section that is "multi-purpose" and requires flipping a switch on the receiver to select the appropriate "mix." It includes jacks labeled as both "Y" "Pb" "Pr" and "Y" "G" "B" and audio jacks as well as "H" and "V" jacks.

The TV input assignment for the "DTV" section on the TV panel ... controls the "YPbPr" and "RGB" and "H" & "V" as well. I have to flip the switch on the receiver to specify which I want to use.

Because using the Component Out and the switch setting on the receiver allows me to view 1080i, 480p and 480i instead of ONLY 480i ... when I connect to Component 2 ... I lean in the direction of there being a problem with the TV.

But, having to use a switch on the receiver to toggle back and forth between YPbPr or RGB makes me wonder if there is a communication problem within the receiver that isn't allowing it to make the switch as it should. The switch does work properly when I connect through DVI, but I still want the DTV section to work properly.

I temporarily switched the DVD from Component 1 to the DTV jacks and it works. And, I was successful with connecting Component Out from the receiver to the DTV jacks ... as long as I accept that only 480i works this way, but I want 1080i and 480p to work as well. :(

I'm still so confused! :confused: TV? Receiver? TV? Receiver?

The back panel of the TV has Component 1, Component 2 and a separate "DTV" section that is "multi-purpose" and requires flipping a switch on the receiver to select the appropriate "mix." It includes jacks labeled as both "Y" "Pb" "Pr" and "Y" "G" "B" and audio jacks as well as "H" and "V" jacks.

The TV input assignment for the "DTV" section on the TV panel ... controls the "YPbPr" and "RGB" and "H" & "V" as well. I have to flip the switch on the receiver to specify which I want to use.

Because using the Component Out and the switch setting on the receiver allows me to view 1080i, 480p and 480i instead of ONLY 480i ... when I connect to Component 2 ... I lean in the direction of there being a problem with the TV.

But, having to use a switch on the receiver to toggle back and forth between YPbPr or RGB makes me wonder if there is a communication problem within the receiver that isn't allowing it to make the switch as it should. The switch does work properly when I connect through DVI, but I still want the DTV section to work properly.

I temporarily switched the DVD from Component 1 to the DTV jacks and it works. And, I was successful with connecting Component Out from the receiver to the DTV jacks ... as long as I accept that only 480i works this way, but I want 1080i and 480p to work as well. :(

I'm still so confused! :confused: TV? Receiver? TV? Receiver?

Ok, now I think I understand although I've never run into a "DTV" input. The "H" and "V" are what clued me in. It is very likely that your "DTV" cannot be used unless you also Provide the Vertical (V) and horizontal (H) sync signals. I have seen some TV monitor setups which provide these sync signals along with the G-green input, but they are not a part of the R,G or B from the H20 or any other STB that I'm aware of.:eureka

Ok, now I think I understand although I've never run into a "DTV" input. The "H" and "V" are what clued me in. It is very likely that your "DTV" cannot be used unless you also Provide the Vertical (V) and horizontal (H) sync signals. I have seen some TV monitor setups which provide these sync signals along with the G-green input, but they are not a part of the R,G or B from the H20 or any other STB that I'm aware of.:eureka

Thank you for helping me think my way through this to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. I still suspect there is a problem with either the Receiver or the jacks on the TV (or an incompatibility problem between the two.)

I hate to have to toss a coin to see which type of professional I would have to get to evaluate this for me. Since I can work around it, I can take my time trying to figure it out. But ... if it is the TV ... I really would like to get it fixed. If it's the receiver, it's expendable if I ever decide to go for the additional HD programming.

This is the description in the TV manual for the "DTV Input:

"This input is used to connect a DTV receiver or cable box and can be configured for HDTV component (YPbPr), or RGB plus H&V. Please see Appendix B, page 65, for signal compatibility."

In Appendix B under "DTV Input" it says:

"These inputs are compatible with most standard DVD and DTV signals with component video outputs. Compatible DTV signals are SDTV 480i, 480p, and HDTV 1080i."

"This input is also compatible with some DTV receivers using RGB or RGB with "separate H and V sync." Industry standards for DTV RGB signals systems, synchronization, timing, and signal strengths are not currently established. These inputs will not be compatible with all DTV receivers that offer RGB. If your DTV receiver offers both DTV component video signals and DTV RGB signals, Mitsubishi suggests you use the DTV component video signals. Please check the DTV receiver specifications before connecting."

The appendix also indicates that when using Component Video signals, the H&V jacks are not used. I'm still back to square one. :(

This is the description in the TV manual for the "DTV Input:

"This input is used to connect a DTV receiver or cable box and can be configured for HDTV component (YPbPr), or RGB plus H&V. Please see Appendix B, page 65, for signal compatibility."

In Appendix B under "DTV Input" it says:

"These inputs are compatible with most standard DVD and DTV signals with component video outputs. Compatible DTV signals are SDTV 480i, 480p, and HDTV 1080i."

"This input is also compatible with some DTV receivers using RGB or RGB with "separate H and V sync." Industry standards for DTV RGB signals systems, synchronization, timing, and signal strengths are not currently established. These inputs will not be compatible with all DTV receivers that offer RGB. If your DTV receiver offers both DTV component video signals and DTV RGB signals, Mitsubishi suggests you use the DTV component video signals. Please check the DTV receiver specifications before connecting."

The appendix also indicates that when using Component Video signals, the H&V jacks are not used. I'm still back to square one. :(
I just dug out my HTL-HD manual again.
The HTL-HD does provide an RGB option (I'm guessing that the H & V are included with the R,G, or B signals) "OR" the DVI output and the DVI has precedence over the RGB if both are connected. Also in order to use "either" of these outputs the "TYPE" switch must be in the rightmost position. Doing so eliminates the DVI output which is only available when the "TYPE" switch is in the leftmost position.
Putting it simply - you cannot provide more than one type of HD signal out of the HTL-HD. The only other outputs are non-HD standard RF Ch 3 or 4 connection (OUT TO TV) and the two Baseband Composite Video outputs (VIDEO OUT 1 & 2).

I just dug out my HTL-HD manual again.
The HTL-HD does provide an RGB option (I'm guessing that the H & V are included with the R,G, or B signals) "OR" the DVI output and the DVI has precedence over the RGB if both are connected. Also in order to use "either" of these outputs the "TYPE" switch must be in the rightmost position. Doing so eliminates the DVI output which is only available when the "TYPE" switch is in the leftmost position.
Putting it simply - you cannot provide more than one type of HD signal out of the HTL-HD. The only other outputs are non-HD standard RF Ch 3 or 4 connection (OUT TO TV) and the two Baseband Composite Video outputs (VIDEO OUT 1 & 2).

I am only trying to use Component Video which requires the "Type" switch on my receiver to be in the left position. I'm not connecting anything to the RGB or DVI, either of which require the "Type" switch to be in the right position. (I do know that the DVI option works, because I did try it the other day, but have since disabled it in order to experiment with the Component Video option.)

I really appreciate your taking the time to find your manual and review it along with me. I'm going to give this a rest for now, connect the Component Video through Component 2 and see what's on HD tonight. :)

Well ... a call to Mitsubishi revealed that the TV's DTV port was set to 480i (and only configurable through a hidden menu requiring a code she provided in order to access it.) She had me change it to 1080i, but then the "variable 2" option on my receiver wouldn't allow me to see anything but HD programming, and the PQ was inferior to the PQ when I hook up through Component2 instead of the DTV port.

When we went back into the TV menu to change the DTV port back to 480i as it was set originally, I discovered there was an "ALL" setting that we then tried. The Receiver's "Variable2" option now allowed me to see all channels, but PQ was still poor. We ended up changing the DTV port back to 480i and I once again switched the component cables back to Component2.

I am assuming that this is an incompatibility between the receiver and the TV's DTV port, so I guess I don't call anyone for a service call and just accept it. I can use the DTV port for my DVD player if I need Component1 for anything else. If I still need another component connection in the future, I can always switch the receiver to DVI. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts