HTL - HD setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ckudrna

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Hi all,

I finally got my first HD receiver today, the hughes HTL HD. I output to the reciever to the Mitsu with the supplied DVI cable. Looks great, get HD channels at 1080i (Hdnet, Discovery, etc).

Now, i hear that some folks say that SD tv may look better with component out from the reciever to the TV rather than the SD through the DVI cable.

I notice you have to select DVI or Component out from the reciever? You cannot use both, like the DVI for the HD and then switch to Component for non HD programming?

How much better may it actually look for SD programming to go through Component rather than DVI?

Either way, the HD looks AWESOME . I am quite glad to have achieved 1080i HD in my own apartment!!

Congrats on your set up!! That receiver is a pretty good one. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

I would try component on mine but then I would have to give up either my xbox or DVD, and I'm not about to do either.

Because of that switch yes it is, on the HTL-HD anyway.

Have you hooked up composite to see what it looks like on SD channels compared to the DVI? They will work at the same time.

Yes, outputs are NOT switchable (like it says in the users guide) and the top output level is to be the only active output. So if you connect Coax and DVI, DVI is all the box will output. This is the ONLY area the Voom STB has an advantage over the HTL-HD.

I am with you ... I think this sucks. My fix has been to put the box in the variable 2 mode ... this puts all HD in 10801 and all SD in 480p which is QUITE nice.

ENJOY your box! This is the best D* STB available right now.

You can't do both? I didn't know that.

I'm very happy with this box. Much much more stable than Voom's and DISH's boxes.

The wife is happy that she hasn't had to do a reboot yet.

Neutron said:
You can't do both? I didn't know that.

I'm very happy with this box. Much much more stable than Voom's and DISH's boxes.

The wife is happy that she hasn't had to do a reboot yet.
Never tried it but it says so in the manual. I don't have DVI so I would have no reason to, until I get my brand spanking new TV ... in like 50 years when the wife allows it LOL!

My wife likes the box too ... she HATED voom, I really did too. I have been spoiled by the PQ obtained with D*

What TV do you have?

Did you end up dumping Voom too?

Wife is very happy with this box. Well, let me put it like this: I havent' heard a single complaint from her yet, which is always a good sign with her. :)

I have Samsung, I want to say it is an HCL552W, it is the 55" widescreen , about 3 years old now.

I dumped Voom with 6 free weeks of VaVaVoom remaining. All the PQ probs ... I couldn't hang, and it was an add-on service for me, to supplement DirecTV.

We all know ya have to keep the wife happy! Otherwise we may get that "toy allowance" revoked. However, in my situation I have always found it better to ask for forgiveness than permission :yes ! When we got Voom, I pulled the TiVo from the living room and moved it to the Master. For 3 weeks all I heard is how come the is nothing on?!?!?!?! I kinda felt that way too. I purchased an HR10-250 (HD TiVo) but returned it within 2 days ... not enough local and D* content to justify the cost. Next summer I'll get an HD Tivo, providing they have the bugs (HDMI) worked out and the hard disk manufactures are proving reliable. Besides ... the wife was all set to have me neutered :shocked

So far I have heard a bunch of this concerning my recent Sat radio purchase: "Why do you NEED satellite radio? What's wrong with the radio we have? Why do you feel the need to pay for satellite radio?" I never win with mine.

With Voom it was: "Why did you NEED this? What was wrong with Directv? Why do you NEED an HDTV? Why can't we ever have a working satellite receiver (referring to DISH's 811 too)? Why must you change things, why can't you keep something for a while?" To counter that I ask her why she has to rearrange things every few months.

Voom was also a suppliment to Directv only because at the time I couldn't get a break on the hardware for Directv for HD.

Does your wife do this too? Oh I also get threatened with my "toy allowance" too. :D

Neutron said:
...Does your wife do this too? Oh I also get threatened with my "toy allowance" too. :D
Dude ... your wife and my wife need to go on a picnic together so we can head to whatever electronics store we like while they are out! And I didn't say toy allowance ... I said NEUTERED!!! LMAO! Oh well ... wasn't really worth it anyway.

Glad I am not married........!

So, to sum up here.

I currently have DVI from HTL-> TV

If I want another good quality source for non HD channels, I can use;

Coax
S-Video
Component?? (I would like this if possible)

I would like two high quality outputs from the HTL to the TV, and one has to be the DVI. What can i use?

I thought the box would come with a digital audio, but it did not, so i gotta get me one of those. (along with a new reciever sometime soon!)

Box upconverts to 480p for all SD, and uses 1080i for all HD, including ESPN HD (upconverted from 720p) Things look great.

Are HBO HD and Showtime HD included if you have the HD pack? I am getting them right now,

Didn't mean to get off topic there. :)

If things look great like you have them I wouldn't do anything else. :) The TOSLink optical cable didn't come with mine either. Kinda sucks.

Yeah im thinking just keeping everything going through the DVI cable. Looks good to me.

I plugged in my Zenith Silver Sensor and tossed it behind my entertainment unit, turned the HTL-HD on, and it picked up about 25 stations from around Arizona. I am well into the "Good" signal (looks about 95% full) for all of the Local Phoenix stations (transmitters are about 11 miles away). I am very VERY impressed with the gain recieved from the Zenith Silver Shooter, i expected to have to sit and dick with the antenna position for a good few hours before getting anything, but i get channels from many miles away (Flaggstaff and Prescott). They "crackle" sometimes, but thats pretty impressive to get Flaggstaff stations from Phoenix.

Moral of the story: if you are within 30 miles, try to Zenith Silver SHooter before wasting time with anything else.

I am going to go through the TV now and turn off all inputs that are not being used (only keep on the Component from the DVD and the DVI right now. Use the Component in for a new reciever once i get one)

I am a very impressed HTL-HD customer, i had no idea that it would pull in so many OTA channels so easily and quickly, with no antenna movement at all.

Now if i can just figure out how to delete channels from the custom guide i do not want (i do not need three listings for every local channel!)

"With Voom it was: "Why did you NEED this? What was wrong with Directv? Why do you NEED an HDTV? "

I thought MY wife was posting here. LOL

"Why can't we ever have a working satellite receiver (referring to DISH's 811 too)?"

I to dumped V* Trying to decide who to go.(or go back to I should say.) Was thinking of E* and the 811. Read of problems in threads. Yours not so good I take it from your post? Are you guys running Hughes HTL-HD having good luck. Anyone using the Sammy 360? Thankx for the info. Been 2 weeks w/o ESPN
:eek: Gotta bust a move here soon.

The HTL-HD has been the most stable HD receiver I have tried yet. If I were you I would get with D* and get this receiver.

The 811 has had problems, some worked out but some still remain. The 811 will still output on the optical audio out (no sound, but you could still see the red light) which would render the audio coming from my DVD player to my A/V receiver to nothing unless I unplugged the audio cable from the 811.

See, my A/V receiver will use what ever is on the optical over the digital coax (my DVD player) and regular composite audio.

I agree 100% with Jason,

Although i have had this reciever powered up for about 8 hours, I see no need to consider changing equipment anytime soon. The price was right ($285 @ ABT Electronics) to get on the HD bandwagon.

I am very very impressed with the HD channels, especially Discover HD Theater. HDnet Movies and HDnet are also very cool. Have yet to see a MLB game on ESPN, but i am sure i will like it. Sportscenter looks great in HD.

Probubly the thing i am most impressed is the pickup of local channels. 11.2 miles away from the transmitters i get all channels a hair away from 100%, from 95%-100%. I am very impressed at this recievers ability to pick up locals.

The local PBS here has a ton more HD than i thought any OT channel would. Looks real good, very very impressed this high of quality gets broadcasted through the air and through all of our bodies.............

The guide on the HTL-HD is a ton quicker than i thought it would be. The recievers i got with the original package were the Philips DSX 5500 or something.Very very slow guides, just not that good of boxes. The HTL-HD upgrade was a great move for me.

If you are looking for HD service and equipment, i would also say give D* a go with this box. Get on that 6 months free deal.

People will post saying "DISH and Voom and even Cable gives you the equipment free" and I say you get what you pay for.

The only HD my wife has been watching is on the HBO and Showtime HD channels (we have TC Premier) and she likes it! I'm trying to get her to watch more of the HD Pak channels.

I have written requests to both InHD and Directv to get the InHD channels added to the lineup. Those would compliment the HD pak very well and give Directv one up on both Voom (Boom) and DISH.

Any increase in exclusive HD channels (like inHD) or simulcasts in HD (like the HBO and Showtime) would be good additions.

National Geographic HD would be sweet as well, as the images would be stunning. Offering HD versions of Starz and other movie networks would be wonderful.

I am very happy with Directv right now and the HD offerings. I trust they will add more content in due time.

Thankx guys. I was leaning towards E* till I read the problems w/ the 811. I feel this forum saved me from making a bad move there. With a wider choice of equipment and D* rumored HD additions that seems the way to go. :yes The 6 month free offer is icing on the cake. :smug

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)