HTPC/DVR & DTV - Will this ever be possible without clunky receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tannersarms

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
It took me a while to figure out how to word the title, but now that I have more room, allow me to expand.

I've been toying with the idea recently of building an Uber-PC that can replace the 4 boxes that sit atop my TV (DTivo, DVD Recorder, Xbox and DVD Player (plays any region, which the recorder doesn't). Unfortunately I get the impression that to have dual DVR functionality I'm probably still going to need two of the regular receivers (I'm not sure that the Dual DVR from Direct would be easily controlled by another device).

Has anyone else here built such an HTPC? Are there any devices on the horizon that would basically allow you to maybe relinquish everyone but the card unscrambling to the PC? I keep reading morels about a partnership between DTV and MS, but all I've seen so far is that you will be able to get VOD on the Xbox 360.

I am sure that I'm not the only one who wants to be able to do this - anyone have any good links/info on upcoming new products?

Cheers

Mark

That's reassuring - what about people who've gone ahead and built an HTPC anyway? What did you do about the boxes? Get 2 of the smallest regualr receivers or did you somehow integrate a DTivo into the set up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)