Huge Satellite Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gop32053

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Florida , USA
I have an old huge satellite dish from the 80's in my yard and was wondering if I could get it up and running again.I still have the box that moves the dish back and forth and the old receiver. I thought maybe I could get a new receiver and see whats out there. It still moves east and west. Can anyone help or do I just need to scrap her. Thanks for any help

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

NO, don't scrap it! ;) There is lots of fun to be had with it and lots of stuff out there to pick up. I would suggest changing out the Feedhorn and LNB with a new LNBF that is voltage switched. You will also for sure need a new receiver. There are several out there, I would recommend the GEOSATpro microHD. It would also be a good idea to change out the coax going to it. You can then use your existing box to move the dish and catch some cool stuff.

So just start asking all the questions you can think of and we will be glad to help you get it set-up. There is a very good chance that it is still tracking the arc ok, just may need some touching up. Post some pictures so we can see what ya got. :)

I worked on the dish this morning and have the old power box working. I also cleaned out the junction box at the dish. I cleaned up the inside of the box and have power there. I took the motor off that moves the dish and it is good , runs smooth. The dish arm seems froze up , gonna try and free it up. I will post a picture.

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    927 KB · Views: 319
You've run into a very 'fortunate' little problem and it's a tremendous opportunity for you. Most of us who still aspire to a big dish would love to already have something sitting at home that just needs some updating. With a decent receiver such as the MicroHd which is pretty cheap and a few new parts a whole new world will open up for you. Have of the fun is just seeing what's up there and with a dish that appears to be pretty darn big you should be able to pull in quite a bit.

I will post up more pictures tomorrow when weather clears ,I hope to have her up and running soon. The actuator arm seems to be seized up , but I think I can free it with some work. I did run it back and forth a few years ago . Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

Remember that this dish was installed for analog. Digital S2 is not nearly as forgiving so you will have to tweak the dish, but it will be well worth it.

Huge Dish Pictures

I worked again this morning on the dish after being rained out yesterday. I unbolted actuator arm and it is now free, the problem is it will only move a little at the time and kick out my old control box. I am posting some pictures of the back of the dish. Any help is welcome.dish2.JPGdish3.JPGdish4.JPG

Does it do this if you remove the motor from the end?

No , the motor runs smooth if I take it out of the gearbox. I removed the upper end of the actuator and am trying to clean it up. There was some water in here. I may have to soak in some solution to get it freed up again. I did post some pictures on what I am working with. Thanks everyone.

Also , my power supply box is showing a reading now, a sensor reading , bouncing around from 196 to 199, don't remember what this means , maybe the position of the dish ?????

These units are from the 80's. The satellite positioner (power) is a ProSat 210. The old receiver is a LowRance System 70X. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts