Please reply by conversation.

okaydave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Is there a hands down better product between the following:

Hughes DVR80 or R10 or R15

Thanks for any advice

The R15 is NOT Tivo based - it's D* new in-house DVR.

The other 2 units are EXACTLY the same, at least from an operational standpoint. If you ever want to hack your D-Tivo, it's easier to do on the DVR80 than on the R10. (but not impossible) If you don't plan on doing this, either one is fine.

Do a search on these DVR's for comparisons between the D-Tivo's & the R15.

Doesn't the R15 have alot more recording time than the others? Is this an even trade off for not being a TIVO unit?

DVR can be any brand of Digital Video Recorder. You could be referring to Tivo, DirecTV's R15, Replay, Dish Network's series of recorders etc...

Tivo is a branded video recorder with a functionality that most prefer. There are several models that have the Tivo software including the DVR80 and R10.

If you have a choice, go with Tivo!

The R15 has about 30 hours more recording space than the R10. (120GB drive vs 70gb drive.)
(TiVos are easily user-upgradable though.. My R10 has 174hrs.)

DVR is a generic term for "Digital Video Recorder"
TiVo is a specific brand and subset of DVR. Kleenex : Tissues :: TiVo : DVR

DirecTV has stopped manufacting new TiVo based devices, and has instead rolled their own DVR (The R15) based on the NDS XTV platform.

The R15 has a number of fairly severe issues to be expected with a first generation product. It's also still in active manufacturing and development.
TiVo is old-hat, stable, and the most user friendly UI in the last decade. It's also fairly static and D* will not be offering any new features for it, ever.

H

The biggest advantage if a TiVo based device over the R15 is you have around 100gig of drive you can use. I have about 1.5 terabytes of storage over 4 TiVo's. So the ability to easily expand storage capacity if you choose. Obviously less important with a 100gig base that it was back in the 40gig days, but still important to some.

Then there are other "issues" such as the 100 item limit in the ToDo list, the FF problems, no 30sec skip, no autocorrect on FF, issues with SP guide data to name a few.

Edit: And the R15 as of today, does not allow you to dual buffer programs. ie be able to jump back and forth between tuners keeping the 30 minute buffer on each. Real handy for watching 2 sporting events at the same time. There is rumor of a software upgrade to fix this, but no time frame is given.

Last edited:
And I just received the two DVR-80's I ordered from you. Thanks Robert.
How's the supply of HR10-250's ? I'm sitting on the fence trying to make a decision before leasing starts.
Tom J

I think what you will find is that most "seasoned" users will always prefer Tivo and will hate the R15 since it is change. The new users will probably prefer the
R15 from what I am hearing so far. The R15 does have a few issues being first gen product but DTV is releasing software upgrades which are taking care of some issues so far. A major needed fix is the ability to switch between the tuners though. I would go with the R15 since it is obvious DTV is turning its back on the Tivo based units. I have an R10 and and R15 and like them both. My R15 has not experienced some of the bugs I hear about except for the caller id which was fixed on my unit with the recent software upgrade....

Is Directv planning on any "video to go " products? If so, will the R15 be able to be used for this?

okaydave said:
Is Directv planning on any "video to go " products? If so, will the R15 be able to be used for this?

Yes, Toshiba and Samsung will be the first suppliers out with their portable video recorder/player. Toshiba has the S30, 30 gig and the S60 60 gig portable digital hard drive recorder displays.

The R15's USB port will be used to transport the recorded video/audio from your DVR to the portable display. Absolutely amazing product and service.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
FYI, I still have a small inventory of brand new R10's and Hughes DVR80's.

-Robert
Care to work a trade? Would like to get out of my R15 for another R10 or the DVR80.
Still have box and all materials. :)

Last edited:
the google alert for directv sent to me on the 9th of this month states that tivo has lost alot with the non renewal of the contract with directv and is in trouble. 379,ooo of its 430,000 new customers the last quarter were from directv. Tivo is is the red for 14 million the past quarter and stand to be in the red 17 to 22 million this quarter with the new dvr taking the helm.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Yes, Toshiba and Samsung will be the first suppliers out with their portable video recorder/player. Toshiba has the S30, 30 gig and the S60 60 gig portable digital hard drive recorder displays.
The R15's USB port will be used to transport the recorded video/audio from your DVR to the portable display. Absolutely amazing product and service.
-Robert

Thanks Robert.

Do you know when the Toshiba product will be released? Any idea on the what the price point will be?

Which ever DVR I decide on will be purchased from you. I have heard alot of good things about your store.
Thanks

okaydave said:
Thanks Robert.
Do you know when the Toshiba product will be released? Any idea on the what the price point will be?
Which ever DVR I decide on will be purchased from you. I have heard alot of good things about your store.
Thanks

The Toshiba portable S30/S60 MP3 and video digital recorder/player is expected to be shipping on 3/28/06.

-Robert

What DVD recorder should I get to use with my R15? I think I need a combo with VCR so I can replace my VCR with this 1 unit.

I plan on getting the new HD DVR when it becomes availble from D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts