Hughes e86 OTA problem

rjrigo

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
I bought this receiver on ebay and I absolutely believe the guy had ota but I can't figure it out. Tried for about 15 hours. I can get the ota if i use coaxial to e86 and then to tv but no other connections; and change channels with tv remote. Also if I turn the e86 on, it will not let the ota in as it only wants satellite. When I select -watch tv- it goes to a screen "searching for satallite". I have selected all the other selections to see if there is a place for to select ota but nothing. I cannot find anywhere to select -scan- for ota. I have looked at sites that say where it should be but I can't select that option. Please help

try installation-set up-locals scan

also if you dont have a a hd tv you need to got in to installation-set up -av and make sure you are using 480 and not 1080...my set up is ota into e86 with av out to tv then I must use e86 remote to change channels.

Last edited:
I have the same set up using a e86 on a standard definition 36 rca tv I love it. I get all the networks without any ghosts and the pbshd picture is great- not hd but better then regular antenna. Unfortunatly I am not at home to verify the proper set up. I will check back tomorrow when at home to see if I can help you. I am guessing you are not using a hd tv???

Go into the menu, if you are useing it for OTA only, under dish setup, it has options for what dish you are useing. select none. your problem is gone. Peace

As far as the scanning it is is the input setup as you can select to scan cable, ant 1, ant 2 , digatl or anolog. hope this helps. Sorry I missing that part at first

Something must definitely be wrong. When I go to Menu, dish setup, it only gives me options for what dish I am using, i.e. , round, 2 & 3 dish but I don't see a none selection. The previous person had it set for satellite and I want just ota. Any ideas why I can't select none because it ain't there. Am I not doing something????

Oh, also I can't find input setup either. I can find everything else but it also pertains to satellite.

e86

If you are willing to post your phone 3 I would walkyou thru the set up. are you using a hd tv?

and you are sure you have a hughes e86 hd receiver?.

IF you are not using a hd tv then you need the white red yellow rca inputs-- if you have a hd then you can use the component- green blue orange.

if you are not using a hd set then you need to make sure that the resolution is set to 480 set up-av set up- resolution.

to scan the channels
set up-installation-local area-scan

good luck

thank you. (505) 266-4130. I work nights (2am to 7am MDT) so went to bed after post. Please call between 2pm - 10pm MDT. thanks again.

Last edited:
rjrigo,
is it alright with you to call you and ask how Bulbman2 solve your problem? i think i may have the same problem too with my e86 for OTA only.

budda said:
As far as the scanning it is is the input setup as you can select to scan cable, ant 1, ant 2 , digatl or anolog. hope this helps. Sorry I missing that part at first

budda,
you mentioned input selections for cable, ant 1, ant 2. i can't find where to make these selections. i think my problem is that i'm stuck in cable tv mode, but i don't subscribe to cable service and i just want to use my e86 for OTA only. so i want to select ant 1, right? how do i do that? i already have "None" for SATELLITE

hughes e

xzxz said:
rjrigo,
is it alright with you to call you and ask how Bulbman2 solve your problem? i think i may have the same problem too with my e86 for OTA only.

rjrigo did not have a hughes platnium high defintion receiver. He had another model.

YOu can call me at 269-665-7801 for set up info if you have the proper receiver

Thanks Bulbman2 and arxaw for your response. After fiddling around with the setup I was able to do a scan. My question now is why can't I view any of the Analog channels? I can view a few select Digital channels, but none of the Analog.

I have a Samsung SIR-T451 hooked up to another hdtv and it gets everything - analog and digital, but why not the e86?

xzxz said:
... After fiddling around with the setup I was able to do a scan. My question now is why can't I view any of the Analog channels? I can view a few select Digital channels, but none of the Analog...
Go back into setup and make sure all OTA channels are selected (have tick marks) in add/remove. Also add them to a favorites list.

Is this a used E86? If so, it may have a heat-damaged tuner, which is very common.

Last edited:
So if my tuner is heat-damaged, would i still be able to view channels coming from a digital source? i figure the damage would just incapacitate the entire unit. Yes, this is a used e86.

Btw, I should also mention that I am using an indoor RCA antenna. Like I said, the antenna works great with the Samsung 451. Do you think I need to use an outdoor antenna with the e86? I was so hoping not to have to use an outdoor antenna.

xzxz said:
So if my tuner is heat-damaged, would i still be able to view channels coming from a digital source? i figure the damage would just incapacitate the entire unit. Yes, this is a used e86.

Btw, I should also mention that I am using an indoor RCA antenna. Like I said, the antenna works great with the Samsung 451. Do you think I need to use an outdoor antenna with the e86? I was so hoping not to have to use an outdoor antenna.
Excessive heat over time in the E86 can eventually show up as several problems. Some have problems with certain satellite transponders, while others will begin to lose OTA channels, either digital, analog or both. The problem is not cost effective to fix and will likely happen again unless a fan is added, blowing across or into a repaired receiver.

The antenna would not cause you to lose only analog channels. If you can get digital channels, you should be able to receive at least some channels on analog, unless the tuner is toast.

I had 2 E86s that died from heat damage. One slowly lost (digital and analog) OTA reception and the other one lost certain sat transponders.

For more info, jump over to avsforum.com and do a search there for "E86 heat damage"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts