Hughes Hird E86 Overheating problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

savnugget

Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
I have a Hughes Hird E-86 which I have read has an oveheating issue that is common. The result is what I have now, a severe loss of signal. I have read that it is possible to fix this but I have not found anything on the net in regards to a schematic for this unit or what to check. From what I have read a capacitor burns out or similar, and not enough voltage gets to the tuner section for the transponders. I have found that the only transponders that work are 4, 8, 12, 16, etc. I get great signal on them but not on other transponders. My second receiver, an RCA get full signal strength so I know it is IRD/tuner related. It slowly lost channels over the past 6 months, now I can not get the guide to download after a power loss, it gets almost done then looses signal. So does anyone have experience fixing this issue? I have access to oscilliscopes, voltmeters, etc, just need advice on what to look for.

-savnugget

It is at the point where the fan makes no difference. I have found one place that claims they can fix it in a few minutes so that leads me to belive it is a quick fix. I will most likely just get a new receiver, but I like to tinker, and thought I would ask first. I have read a capacitor on the Gaebo model stops working and the repair cost like $1 in parts and the guy paid $140 for the repair and all he did was solder a wire to fix it by tapping into another voltage source on the circuit board.

I am in the Cleveland, OH area.

I have the exact same problem. I have a fan on it 24/7 for the last 2 yrs. If you find the fix please PM me.

Let me chime in as the previous owner of the E86 ... it was the worst D* receiver I EVER owned, I agree with the first respondant, time to kiss it goodbye.

slacker9876 said:
Let me chime in as the previous owner of the E86 ... it was the worst D* receiver I EVER owned, I agree with the first respondant, time to kiss it goodbye.
Hmm I have a an HIRD e86 and the picture IMO is much better than my HR10-250. And the guide runs CIRCLES around the turtle speed of the HDtivo. Also I can check the signal strength of any channel in about 3 key presses in 3 seconds compared to maybe a minute of menus on the HR10-250. The User interface speed of the HDtivo is an absolute Embarrassment IMO. The e86 is the simplest, friendliest, best performing D* product I have owned. Everything on it works and works as far better than expected.

vurbano said:
Hmm I have a an HIRD e86 and the picture IMO is much better than my HR10-250. And the guide runs CIRCLES around the turtle speed of the HDtivo. Also I can check the signal strength of any channel in about 3 key presses in 3 seconds compared to maybe a minute of menus on the HR10-250. The User interface speed of the HDtivo is an absolute Embarrassment IMO. The e86 is the simplest, friendliest, best performing D* product I have owned. Everything on it works and works as far better than expected.
That all maybe true, but the facts are still the E86 had an overheating problem that shortened the life of components. Repairing it dosen't make it a new receiver and with the switch to MPEG4 it is better to invest in the new product that will receive the new channels. :)

I agree with vurbano,it was the best receiver I've owned and played with, and I played with just about every single receiver from the 1st generation.The E86 always ran HOT from the day I bought it. I installed a silenx fan on it,which kept it cool. I'm looking forward to the new H20 and will get it as soon as I can. :)

Same here

vurbano said:

I bought my Hughes E86 at best buy for 50% off open box model when the receiver was still selling for $500. I got it for $250 back in 2003. After more than 2 1/2 years of service, it is still going strong and I get all my local HD channels and HBO package through direcTV through it. I don't have it locked up in a cabinet. I have it in a open area in the basement where it never gets hot. I do see it getting hot but has not broken yet!! Keeping my fingers crossed since I don't want to get another receiver (DirecTV has grandfathered my package of just HBO for just $12.00/month). I am sure they will want me to sign a contract and upgrade to paying 4 times that much if I have to buy a different receiver.

Better the the HR10-250 ... maybe on a 15" LCD, the red-push on that receiver was intolerable for me. But to each thier own, I am certain you could replace it for $50 on eBay. Enjoy!

vurbano said:

I will agree with you, somewhat, that the E86 is a good receiver, as long as it works. I really liked mine till the same problem that you are having, killed mine. But if you think the menu is fast on it, you should try the H10. It flies compared to my old E86.

But, in my opinion, I think the best receiver that D* has ever put out was the HTL-HD. That receiver runs circles around my previous E86 or its replacement H10. You can check signal strength with just a touch of the "pause" button, on the remote, while it is in the "SAT" mode. The best feature I like about it is you can set up your programing you want to record and also set up the receiver to turn your VCR on and off, to record the programing. Taking away the need to worry about loosing the clock time, of the VCR, due to a power failure. This is a feature, I will miss, when they swap my HTL-HD out for the new H20. The H20 manual says you have to set the VCR separately, like the H-10s.

The only problem I have with the HTL-HD, is a bug since their last software update, in 2004. Sometimes, but not always, when you exit the search screen, the unit reboots itself, like you hit the reset button, or unplugged it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts