Hughes Program Director not working...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

squirrel-bait

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
I recently had my DirecTV system installed, and I am having a problem with a feature on my Hughes converter box. The Program Director function is supposed to be able to tune in to selected programs automatically (to tape programs when I'm gone), but it doesn't work. I've tried leaving the power on, turning it off, setting programs on a weekly basis, nothing works.

Could it be because I don't have a phone line hooked up (don't have a land line anymore)? The manual isn't much help. I thought I would ask here before calling technical support, that can be as painful as pulling teeth.

TIA
sqrl b8

My converter doesn't have the option of turning on the VCR for you, that's a different model. I just want the darn thing to change the channel on its own.

sqrl b8

What model do you have? I have yet to see a Hughes receiver without this option. Either way if all you need is for it to change channels you need to hit the select button on that program twice it should show a tape icon in the guide.

If you really want to save yourself a ton of headaches you should check out the Best Buy or DirecTV offerings for TiVo. There is no substitute and it is worth every penny of the 4.95/mo you are charged for the TiVo service.

In this day and age unless you are doing professional video editing in D-VHS or with a VCR that starts at around $600, a VCR is a waste of space in your home theatre. Both receivers listed above are top shelf products and combine VCR and Satellite functionality and TiVo is a DIGTAL solution, your VCR is not. I used to think TiVo was a joke ... then I got one and I literally cannot watch TV without one, it drives me nuts if I do.

squirrel-bait, if you are using an old Exceutive Director Pack (GCEB0A), you have to plug in that VCR signal at the back of the receiver and stick the signal emitter in front of the IR receiver on your VCR. Then, pick the right VCR brand and signal code in the GCEB0A menu.

Then, the most important part. The IR emitter will NOT turn on the VCR and it will NOT change the channel on the VCR! You have to turned on your VCR, changed to the correct channel (3, 4, or line-input), and inserted a tape, and let it stand until you are done recording.

You then can go to the Program Guide and select a program to record. When the program starts, the IR emitter will send "record" and then "stop" when done.

I have a Hughes Director Pack receiver (not sure of the model number) but it doesn't have the "tape" option. I can only schedule programs for viewing, not taping. I will need to set up my VCR manually - that is not the problem. My problem is that the reciever doesn't want to switch to scheduled program channels. I can schedule a program, or alternately, a start time, but when the time comes...nothing. It just stays on the channel I'm already on.

sqrl b8

Try go to the channel guide, pick the program, and hit the select button. Once it has a check mark next to the program title, then the receiver should switch channel when the time comes. The Program Director failed to work sometime on my receivers too (both GCEB0A and HBH-SA models).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts