Hughes Tivo is dying, now what?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wado66

Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I have an older Hughes series 2 Tivo. I love it.
But it is dying, i think. I added another harddrive about 3 years ago.
The Tivo keeps locking up. About every 2 hours.
And I'm trying to weigh my options.
Should I replace my 2 harddrives with 1 big one, and hoope that was my problem?
Buy another Tivo DVR from somewhere?
Or call DirecTv and get one of their DVR's.
I don't need HD.
Just a good quality DVR.

My personal feeling is I would call D* and see what I could get for an offer to upgrade to a HRXX receiver seeing that will come with a new dish and the latest features/headaches. Then compare their offer to what replacement costs would be.

I have an older Hughes series 2 Tivo. I love it.
But it is dying, i think. I added another harddrive about 3 years ago.
The Tivo keeps locking up. About every 2 hours.
And I'm trying to weigh my options.
Should I replace my 2 harddrives with 1 big one, and hoope that was my problem?
Buy another Tivo DVR from somewhere?
Or call DirecTv and get one of their DVR's.
I don't need HD.
Just a good quality DVR.

I have a R-15 that has been absolutely trouble free. My experiences may differ from other people here, though.

If D* doesn't satisfy you with a good offer, I would consider replacing your hard drives. weaKnees is a wonderful source and a sponsor of SatelliteGuys. I have used them in the past and would do so again. Excellent instructions come with their kits and they work.

I imagine that they would replace the receiver for little or nothing if you have had their service for a while.

Ok, here is the latest. I was trying to get as many movies moved from my Tivo to my DVD recorder that has a harddrive. I noticed a slight unfamiliar noise coming from the inside of my Tivo. I opened the case and noticed the fan wasn't running as fast as it should. So, I got a pc case fan and wired it in and laid it on the harddrive. Not one single lock up. So, now I'm going to "alter" my case. Cut out a spot to mount another fan. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the posts. I did use Weakknees. Love the stuff. So easy to install I could even do it. The fan they sent me is the one going out. It's about 4 years old. No complaints, just need another fan. I will buy it from them.

As far as DirecTv. They offered me a new DVR to lease for the shipping price of $19.95. If I send them back my Tivo. I own this Tivo. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ok, here is the latest. I was trying to get as many movies moved from my Tivo to my DVD recorder that has a harddrive. I noticed a slight unfamiliar noise coming from the inside of my Tivo. I opened the case and noticed the fan wasn't running as fast as it should. So, I got a pc case fan and wired it in and laid it on the harddrive. Not one single lock up. So, now I'm going to "alter" my case. Cut out a spot to mount another fan. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the posts. I did use Weakknees. Love the stuff. So easy to install I could even do it. The fan they sent me is the one going out. It's about 4 years old. No complaints, just need another fan. I will buy it from them.

As far as DirecTv. They offered me a new DVR to lease for the shipping price of $19.95. If I send them back my Tivo. I own this Tivo. Thanks, but no thanks.

Normally DirecTV doesn't ask for the DirecTivos back.:confused:

Just to second never giving up your tivo if HD isn't a big deal. The HRXX DVRs are not bad, but it's like being used to flying in a Gulfsream G650 and then being crammed into a regular passenger jet with hundreds of other schmucks. You'll get there, but it's not nearly as smooth a flight!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts