Hulu Plus Commercials

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Anyone else notice the number of commercials have increased? At first there only 1 or 2 short 15second commercials per 15 minutes. Now its almost 3 full commercials every 8 minutes or so.

This almost kinda kills the entire Hulu appeal as I could just DVR the shows and skip the commercials.

Cheers, K

Anyone else notice the number of commercials have increased? At first there only 1 or 2 short 15second commercials per 15 minutes. Now its almost 3 full commercials every 8 minutes or so.

This almost kinda kills the entire Hulu appeal as I could just DVR the shows and skip the commercials.

Cheers, K

If you could DVR it, it is probably a currently airing show and it is probably on the network's own website, CBS, CW, Fox, etc.. If you have HDMI out on your desktop or laptop, you could just watch it on the TV via the network website. I use the AdBlock Plus extension with Easylist and it blocks all the commercials.

I wonder if it makes a difference being on a free trial?I have never subscribed to it,had the free trial twice,way too many ads for me.

If you have HDMI out on your desktop or laptop, you could just watch it on the TV via the network website.

Some websites are far worse than Hulu. I was on vacation and watched an episode of Breaking Bad (through my mother-in-laws Xfinity account) and Perception on TNT's website. Perception had just about the same amount of ads as they have on their channel. Granted it was mostly ads for other TNT shows, but it was ridiculous. The amount of ads on Breaking Bad were horrible. It actually took longer to watch it online than to watch on tv. It was about 1 or 2 minutes longer. The worst part of online video is that you can't fast forward through the damn ads.

I am glad I saw this thread. Reminded me to cancel my free trial. ;)

Ill just use the website method if I need to from now on. Between that option and Netflix/Amazon I think its covered.

Some websites are far worse than Hulu. I was on vacation and watched an episode of Breaking Bad (through my mother-in-laws Xfinity account) and Perception on TNT's website. Perception had just about the same amount of ads as they have on their channel. Granted it was mostly ads for other TNT shows, but it was ridiculous. The amount of ads on Breaking Bad were horrible. It actually took longer to watch it online than to watch on tv. It was about 1 or 2 minutes longer. The worst part of online video is that you can't fast forward through the damn ads.

The trick is to use the Ad Block Plus extension (with Easylist) on Firefox or Chrome browser. It blocks all the ads on all the streaming video on just about all the network websites. When the video hits the spots for the ads, it will just skip over immediate like they were not even there! I have tried on MTV, Spike, CBS, Fox, History Channel, CW, etc... It doesn't seem to work on Hulu though, but I haven't tried it for a while... maybe it would... have to try it.

Ad Block Plus is a must have extension. In gmail it blocks all the ads even with the free account. My free gmail looks just like the paid gmail account. I haven't seen a banner ad for ages on any website...

Last edited:
I avoid Hulu ads by recording all hulu video with PlayLater, then I skip over them like I would with my DISH DVR with the 15 second skip forward. PlayON/PlayLater doesn't do HD video but like I've said many of times the SD from HULU via PlayON/PlayLater is a lot better than the SD that DISH provides for my locals and KTLA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts