Hum and Rolling horizontal lines !!!

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
I have just recently got a bad hum on all my dish network channels as well as a rolling horiz. line on all my video inputs but Dish being the worse, any help or suggestions, and what is this called?

Well, we did have a nasty solar flare hit the Earth today. Those usually reek havoc on satellites.

Just taking a guess though.

This has been happening for about a week or two now, I just thought it was something wrong with dish network, but apparently there is more to it.

On all of the system?

When you say all you are going to have to give more details. Does this mean if you tune in an OTA station w/ the TV tuner you still have the problem? Did you plug in anything on the same power circuit at the time this started? Did you change the wiring to the monitor? Is it going thru an A/V receiver? Lots of variables here that we don't know anything about. It could be a grounding problem. It could be the power supply is going bad in the TV. Bars rolling up a TV screen is called hum bars and can be caused by many thing like I have listed for you. There is a local TV station that has this problem on their LP digital signal. It has been that way all along but they aren't fixing it. So on that station I just have to live w/it. But in your case you are going to have to tell more & maybe it can be troubleshot a little here.

It is actually called a ground loop and it is caused by improper grounding somewhere but it is not always at the satellite grounding block. ANYTHING that is connected to the TV can be causing it. The TV itself can cause it. A missing or faulty home ground can cause it. Cable TV companies are often a cause of ground loops.

The way to troubleshoot it is to disconnect everything from your TV (one item at a time) until you see it disappear. If you have cable, disconnect that first. Leave your DBS system connected. If it is still there with just your satellite system connected, it is the TV or your satellite system. If you disconnect the satellite system and connect something else to the input it was using and don't see it, the satellite system is the cause of the problem. Check the cables (inside and outside) and make sure that the ground block does have a true ground. Once you determine what is causing it you can will need to fix it. For cable, check the ground block and if the ground has a good ground call the cable company. If it is one of your other devices (like a VCR or DVD recorder or player) check the cables. A faulty cable, especially a video cable can cause the problem. Also make your that you don't have any three wire devices that are using a ground eliminator (three to two prong adapters).

Last edited:
Here is my setup:

I have a 48" Widescreen projection TV

Input 1-4dtv w/ S-Video Cable, and R/W audio cable, also 4dtv is connected to Kenwood surround sound w/ the digital output

Input 2-Fortec Mercury II FTA Receiver w/ component cables, and R/W audio cable, also Fortec is connected to Kenwood w/ digital sound output

Input 3-DVR 530 Star Choice w/ Component Cable, and R/W audio cable, also connected to Kenwood w/ digital output

Input 4-Nothing

HDMI-Dish Network

Coax Tuner-Charter Cable

Everything is connected into 1 surge protector.

And also when I just recently tried changing my Star Choice to the HDMI and putting Dish Network on Input 3 via component cables, the Dish Network was horrible and had a louder hum with a nasty green rolling bar.

2 ground sources

Here is my setup:

I have a 48" Widescreen projection TV

Input 1-4dtv w/ S-Video Cable, and R/W audio cable, also 4dtv is connected to Kenwood surround sound w/ the digital output

Input 2-Fortec Mercury II FTA Receiver w/ component cables, and R/W audio cable, also Fortec is connected to Kenwood w/ digital sound output

Input 3-DVR 530 Star Choice w/ Component Cable, and R/W audio cable, also connected to Kenwood w/ digital output

Input 4-Nothing

HDMI-Dish Network

Coax Tuner-Charter Cable

Everything is connected into 1 surge protector.

And also when I just recently tried changing my Star Choice to the HDMI and putting Dish Network on Input 3 via component cables, the Dish Network was horrible and had a louder hum with a nasty green rolling bar.

Just from a quick look at what you have there are at least 2 different ground sources. 1 for the sat equipment and a 2nd for the cable co. That will cause the problems you are having.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)