Hurricane Rita heading for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting hit by it right now. The winds are similar to what we had for Katrina. Everything that can be knocked down already has. The Keys are getting it pretty bad

My family has a house right on the water in Port O'Connor. Dad said the house is well-insured, but he is moving the boats further inland today.

I'm expecting us in the Big D area to get some nasty severe-like weather from this. Hopefully the plains and the piney woods will slow it down enough to lose strength.

A few things you Texans have going for you is that the water is very shallow coming up to a lot of the Texas coast which will probably cause the storm to weaken just as it comes ashore. The path looks like it will head through or near Houston and Dallas but it should be down to a Tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane by the time it reaches Dallas. Nobody should get complacent though, Some of the worst storms I have seen are Cat 1 Hurricanes. You really need to watch out for the Tornadoes and flooding.

Good luck and keep your head down. Make sure you have plenty of water and canned food. If anyone has any babies make sure they stock up on a weeks worth of formula, diapers etc.

We're going to go get a few bottles of water tonight, not a whole lot, but maybe 3-4.

John Walsh said:
A few things you Texans have going for you is that the water is very shallow coming up to a lot of the Texas coast which will probably cause the storm to weaken just as it comes ashore. The path looks like it will head through or near Houston and Dallas but it should be down to a Tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane by the time it reaches Dallas. Nobody should get complacent though, Some of the worst storms I have seen are Cat 1 Hurricanes. You really need to watch out for the Tornadoes and flooding.

Good luck and keep your head down. Make sure you have plenty of water and canned food. If anyone has any babies make sure they stock up on a weeks worth of formula, diapers etc.

Tornadoes are what I watching for. We are already in tornado alley.

A few of our friends from the Houston area are heading up here to Dallas to ride it out a little farther inland where it's safer in a sense.

We still have to keep an eye out for tornadoes from the remnants.

Just as I suspected, Cat 5 now. I think it will strengthen a bit more then weaken right before it hits. They say that sudden northward movement was just a wobble and the project path is still on target.

I got off the phone with my Brother- and Sister-In-Law who live in The Woodlands, northwest of Houston. They're getting their house ready for the storm, but report that stores are sold out of bottled water, some ATMs are out of cash, and service stations are running low on gasoline. Also, I-45 was a parking lot when he went out earlier this evening. With Rita a Category 5, a lot of the drilling platforms off the coast are being safed and evacuated.

I told them that we're praying for them and if they need a place to hole-up in case the worse happens, they're welcome to stay here. Indiana has been pretty boring, weather-wise, which is just fine with me...

This happens within the first year of us moving back to our home state. Lovely.

I remember when some of the reminents of 2 hurricanes last year dumped a lot of rain on us in Indiana.

I'm praying for everyone who will be affected by this. We in Big D aren't safe by a long shot from this.

OMG 26.75" 875mb barametric pressure 175 mph winds 215 mph gusts. Our weather people say this thing would be a Cat 6 if such a thing existed. Make sure you are safe Neutron.

Foxbat said:
I got off the phone with my Brother- and Sister-In-Law who live in The Woodlands, northwest of Houston. They're getting their house ready for the storm, but report that stores are sold out of bottled water, some ATMs are out of cash, and service stations are running low on gasoline. Also, I-45 was a parking lot when he went out earlier this evening. With Rita a Category 5, a lot of the drilling platforms off the coast are being safed and evacuated.

I told them that we're praying for them and if they need a place to hole-up in case the worse happens, they're welcome to stay here. Indiana has been pretty boring, weather-wise, which is just fine with me...

No more ATM's in Corpus except for Banks,so far. Gas is running low. Me and my brother heading up to San Antonio in the morning to ride it out.

Take care all,
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)