Hurricane TV - need converter advise.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, Hope this is not to far off topic. IKE just reminded me I need to try and get setup for the next hurricane season.

I would really like to be able to setup a backup TV to be able to run off of an AC-DC converter and or my generator and need a digital to analog converter box so I can use my old 13 TV and an OTA antenna. The gold is to have a converter that boots quickly and uses the least amount of power.

Anybody know of a converter that I should look at?

Thanks, DC

Use your computer UPS and bring the + - outside the case and hook to a 12V batt. I'd get an inexpensive 15" LCD Digital TV. An LCD will draw 30-50 watts and can run for a Long time off a car batt or storage cell. If needed, recharge off your car alt.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

From Boba "DISH DTV PAL/TR40."

I had to google that one - looks like it might fill the bill. I like the low cost too. I filled out the form at dtv2009.gov and should have my coupon early next month.
------------------------------------
Use your computer UPS and bring the + - outside the case and hook to a 12V batt. I'd get an inexpensive 15" LCD Digital TV. An LCD will draw 30-50 watts and can run for a Long time off a car batt or storage cell. If needed, recharge off your car alt.

That's an interesting idea; however, I'm not sure the UPS would be able to handle the extra charge load required from the over sized battery. Perhaps a large diode to prevent the UPS from trying to charge the battery would help.

BTW - I already have a good DC-AC power inverter so I don't really need tricked out UPS but it is interesting to think about.
------------------------------------
From Mike 500 " A Zenith DTV converter box; a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna,

and an OLD 5 inch DVD player with composite inputs...."

I will take a look at the Zenith DTV converter box and the antenna (might need a backup in case the outdoor SR-15 beam gets damaged).

I like the idea of using the little portable DVB player as I would think it would run for a very long time on a 110 Amp hour deep cycle battery.

Thanks, DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts