HWS 204 Bugs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Of course I was trying to be helpful and not sarcastic. We've seen some DISH techs here post the most ridiculous things. Nobody here or anywhere for that matter puts much faith in what they're told by DISH techs or CSR's. It's hit or miss whether what you're told will be accurate or just made up because it's what you want to hear or is what will get you off the phone. That's why most folks here use DIRT. The DIRT folks usually know what they're talking about.

Getting past all that drama and nonsense to get to the point;

I thought I read where you posted earlier that these unprovoked recordings were being made even after you unhooked the SJ. That right there disproves what the DISH tech told you. I've had a lot of experience firsthand with SJ's on the old and new UI's and have never heard of nor can I conceive a way that the SJ is responsible for the behavior you describe. That's all I was trying to tell you.

I wondered the same thing when I unplugged the SJ. However, I did not do any rebooting of the HWS, which could have made a difference. Also, it is possible that the SJ had already "planted" the upcoming phantom timers in the HWS? I probably should have left the SJ unconnected for a day or two to see what happens.

In any case, I'll be getting a Hopper3 to replace this one and hopefully everything will be okay. If not, I shudder to think of the wild recordings with SIXTEEN tuners. LOL

Thanks again for trying to be helpful. Much appreciated.

I wondered the same thing when I unplugged the SJ. However, I did not do any rebooting of the HWS, which could have made a difference. Also, it is possible that the SJ had already "planted" the upcoming phantom timers in the HWS? I probably should have left the SJ unconnected for a day or two to see what happens.

In any case, I'll be getting a Hopper3 to replace this one and hopefully everything will be okay. If not, I shudder to think of the wild recordings with SIXTEEN tuners. LOL

The SJ doesn't handle timers or any other regular DVR operations. All that is handled exclusively by the Hopper. The SJ works just like a Joey except it has 2 extra tuners that it adds over MoCA to the Hopper.

IMHO there's more of a chance that the problem is coming from one of your remotes or from Dish Anywhere as has been mentioned by others. I don't know exactly what's wrong with your system but I would bet it's not the SJ. And I don't usually bet. :)

It could be one of the remotes. I've never used the Dish Anywhere feature, but I so have 4 remotes paired to the HWS. Perhaps it is one of them.

I never knew, until a few days ago, that there is flash memory in the remotes that helps preserve settings from one Hopper to a subsequent one. So it does sound possible that one of these 4 is the culprit.

Do the HWS remotes also work with the Hopper 3?

It could be one of the remotes. I've never used the Dish Anywhere feature, but I so have 4 remotes paired to the HWS. Perhaps it is one of them.

I never knew, until a few days ago, that there is flash memory in the remotes that helps preserve settings from one Hopper to a subsequent one. So it does sound possible that one of these 4 is the culprit.

Yes, the 40 remotes work just fine with the H3s. You might want to isolate which remote could be the issue by removings the batteries, one remote at a time.

Yes you can pair them to the H3. If I were you I would remove all the batteries from the remotes and set up using the new remote to make sure nothing is interfering with the set up. Then pair the 40 remote...why do you have 4 remotes?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

Yes you can pair them to the H3. If I were you I would remove all the batteries from the remotes and set up using the new remote to make sure nothing is interfering with the set up. Then pair the 40 remote...why do you have 4 remotes?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

If I remove all the batteries will it make the remotes erase all my favorite channel settings & regular timers -- and have to do it all from scratch when the H3 is installed?
I have 4 remotes because I have different locations in the house with TVs and like to have one by each TV so I don't have to carry one around. In my particular situation, I have the Hopper and SJ right in front of me in my basement family room -- so I can watch 2 different TVs right in front of me. I made a hardwire (coaxial) system that runs to these different locations so that whatever is on the Hopper is also on those other TVs around the house. I live alone, so this works very well for me, convenience-wise.

Reactions: pattykay
If I remove all the batteries will it make the remotes erase all my favorite channel settings & regular timers -- and have to do it all from scratch when the H3 is installed?
I have 4 remotes because I have different locations in the house with TVs and like to have one by each TV so I don't have to carry one around. In my particular situation, I have the Hopper and SJ right in front of me in my basement family room -- so I can watch 2 different TVs right in front of me. I made a hardwire (coaxial) system that runs to these different locations so that whatever is on the Hopper is also on those other TVs around the house. I live alone, so this works very well for me, convenience-wise.

In this particular case do you really want to transfer anything from the afflicted HWS?

Reactions: Hall
Probably dumb questions here, but if I remove the batteries from each remote, will all of the settings they contain be erased? Or would it be best to throw these remotes away and get new ones?

Probably dumb questions here, but if I remove the batteries from each remote, will all of the settings they contain be erased? Or would it be best to throw these remotes away and get new ones?
I don't think they will lose the settings when you remove the batteries. After all, you need to remove the batteries to replace them when the old ones go low on power.

After "a while", it may lose the settings. I'm thinking it's something like the "BIOS" in a computer - there's a small, CMOS battery that maintains the settings when there's no regular power but that battery will die eventually and when it does, those saved settings will go too. This would probably take weeks if not longer though. More than long enough to diagnose your issue, I think.

That's what I was wondering about. Taking the batteries out for a few minutes, to replace them with fresh ones, is no problem. But if the remote is without power for a longer period -- say an hour or a day, etc, -- I wonder if that erases them and makes them safe to start over again with fresh settings.

That's what I was wondering about. Taking the batteries out for a few minutes, to replace them with fresh ones, is no problem. But if the remote is without power for a longer period -- say an hour or a day, etc, -- I wonder if that erases them and makes them safe to start over again with fresh settings.
I don't think so. I have eight 40.0 remote controls paired to one of my HWSs. I will take the batteries out of one that I hardly use for a couple of days and see if it loses any of its memory and will post results back here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)