HWS and Dish Peaking ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
My purchased HWS/SJ are on there way :). I have been searching Youtube and watching as many videos as I can in trying to learn the interface compared to my VIPs.
One video that I watched said that you can no longer use a Hopper to peak your SAT dish? This sounds pretty stupid to me as I have been using the VIPs for this for a lot of years. Isn't there a "point dish" screen available on the HWS?
Thanks, Gerry

Isn't there a "point dish" screen available on the HWS?

There is, but the problem is. On a new hopper it goes thru a wizard setup. If the hopper were already setup and operational it wouldn't be a problem.

There is, but the problem is. On a new hopper it goes thru a wizard setup. If the hopper were already setup and operational it wouldn't be a problem.

Well that's pretty absurd!! Do they think everybody has a signal meter when they want to re-peak their dish! To say nothing of possibly taking the LNB apart to do it :(.
Gerry

I hope someone looks at this thread as I really don't want to start a new one for just a quick question :). On our 2 722Ks we turn them on when they are being used and off when not in use.
It hit me this morning that the HWS/SJ is going to be a different beast to deal with as the SJ is linked to the Hopper with the Hopper being the main controller.
So the question is: Do you leave the Hopper/SJ (or Joey in most instances) powered on all the time??

Thanks, Gerry

I hope someone looks at this thread as I really don't want to start a new one for just a quick question :). On our 2 722Ks we turn them on when they are being used and off when not in use.
It hit me this morning that the HWS/SJ is going to be a different beast to deal with as the SJ is linked to the Hopper with the Hopper being the main controller.
So the question is: Do you leave the Hopper/SJ (or Joey in most instances) powered on all the time??

Thanks, Gerry

You can turn them off, you just can't unplug them.

You can turn them off, you just can't unplug them.

Thank you for the answer! My wife goes in to the "computer" room around 12:30 to have lunch and start watching her "soaps" on what is now one of my 722Ks (will be the SJ). The living room 722K (where HWS will be) I usually turn on around 3 pm. I'm going to assume that I will need to turn the HWS on around noon so the SJ will be usable at her 12:30 timeframe? This of course is my assuming that the HWS must be turned ON to use the SJ?
Thanks for your help,
Gerry

Thank you for the answer! My wife goes in to the "computer" room around 12:30 to have lunch and start watching her "soaps" on what is now one of my 722Ks (will be the SJ). The living room 722K (where HWS will be) I usually turn on around 3 pm. I'm going to assume that I will need to turn the HWS on around noon so the SJ will be usable at her 12:30 timeframe? This of course is my assuming that the HWS must be turned ON to use the SJ?
Thanks for your help,
Gerry

If the HWS and the SJ are plugged in you're good to go. No need to turn either one on unless you're watching it. :)

If the HWS and the SJ are plugged in you're good to go. No need to turn either one on unless you're watching it. :)

Really! I would have thought the HWS would have to be ON in order to use the SJ. Lot of learning to do after being a VIP man for many years :).
Your very helpful, Thanks!
Gerry

Really! I would have thought the HWS would have to be ON in order to use the SJ. Lot of learning to do after being a VIP man for many years :).
Your very helpful, Thanks!
Gerry

You're welcome. Got a HWS and a SJ right here, among several other Dish receivers, so I can testify first hand. :)

You're welcome. Got a HWS and a SJ right here, among several other Dish receivers, so I can testify first hand. :)

You're very knowledgeable in this area.. I believe that I have the hang of things as far as my self installation. HWS/SJ should be here tomorrow. If you would keep track of any new posts in this thread I would appreciate it! The "old" brain needs some training ;).
Gerry

Keep in mind that even though you have the units turned off they are only in standby. They are still powered and doing things. Think of it like this, when you have a computer that goes into standby all you have to do to get it going again is to hit the space bar on your keyboard to get it quickly operating again as opposed to rebooting it each time by powering it off. These receivers are, in fact, computers.....

Out of curiosity I checked and there is only a very slight difference in power consumption between "On" and "Sleep" with the Hopper with Sling:

Hopper with Sling (HWID = NDxx) On (W) 28.2 Sleep (W) 27.3
Hopper with Sling (HWID = NExx) On (W) 22.0 Sleep (W) 21.5

https://www.mydish.com/support/energy-efficiency

No harm in turning it "off" (really sleep or standby mode), but not much benefit energy wise.

Out of curiosity I checked and there is only a very slight difference in power consumption between "On" and "Sleep" with the Hopper with Sling:

Hopper with Sling (HWID = NDxx) On (W) 28.2 Sleep (W) 27.3
Hopper with Sling (HWID = NExx) On (W) 22.0 Sleep (W) 21.5

https://www.mydish.com/support/energy-efficiency

No harm in turning it "off" (really sleep or standby mode), but not much benefit energy wise.

Interesting!! Like you say, not much difference either way... Gerry

JSheridan, trust me when I say that I have watched every Youtube video on the Hopper and have downloaded the .pdf of manual. There is just somethings t hat are completely glossed over without detail/procedure. If I may once again indulge your expertise and probable patience at this time for some lasting questions that I can not find the answer to. First two I believe are easy and the third I need more of a step by step help..

1. I hooked up a self powered EHD to my 722K last weekend and have been transferring shows daily to it so I can hook it to HWS. Luckily I only have about 40 hrs of programming (I've seen people here with hundreds!) that will be on the EHD when I unplug it from the 722K. Someone mentioned in one of my questions this past week that it takes the HWS 2-3 days before it settles out and everything is up to date. Would I be wise to at least wait over night before plugging in the EHD (or even longer) ?

2. PTAT- at first I thought this was great until I found out that the 60 hrs (mon-fri) of prime time was dumped into the Dish partition and you had to go in and "save" what you actually want to move it over to "your" partition. Needless to say this would be a real PITA to do on the daily basis! I then watched a video where it appeared to be a "save series" option in the drop down menu? This of course would mean that you only need to do the save once for that show and it would automatically save every week when it is recorded? Any new shows that came on you would only have to remember to do it once to continue saving it. Hopefully this is how it works as my wife wants "Auto Hop" as she hates commercials!

3. Custom Folders- I have to make this system work as easy as possible for the "old girl" to understand. I want to setup a custom folder for her that I can dump all her Soaps and the other 5-6 shows a week that she records. It's my understanding that you can setup 5 custom folders. In everything I have watched or read I have not found any info on the steps to do this. It is always glossed over that it can be done but not how to do it! I assume that once a folder is setup for her, that I can specify a event to record to her folder? Could you tell me how to set one up?

Thanks yet again,
Gerry

JSheridan, trust me when I say that I have watched every Youtube video on the Hopper and have downloaded the .pdf of manual. There is just somethings t hat are completely glossed over without detail/procedure. If I may once again indulge your expertise and probable patience at this time for some lasting questions that I can not find the answer to. First two I believe are easy and the third I need more of a step by step help..

1. I hooked up a self powered EHD to my 722K last weekend and have been transferring shows daily to it so I can hook it to HWS. Luckily I only have about 40 hrs of programming (I've seen people here with hundreds!) that will be on the EHD when I unplug it from the 722K. Someone mentioned in one of my questions this past week that it takes the HWS 2-3 days before it settles out and everything is up to date. Would I be wise to at least wait over night before plugging in the EHD (or even longer) ?

2. PTAT- at first I thought this was great until I found out that the 60 hrs (mon-fri) of prime time was dumped into the Dish partition and you had to go in and "save" what you actually want to move it over to "your" partition. Needless to say this would be a real PITA to do on the daily basis! I then watched a video where it appeared to be a "save series" option in the drop down menu? This of course would mean that you only need to do the save once for that show and it would automatically save every week when it is recorded? Any new shows that came on you would only have to remember to do it once to continue saving it. Hopefully this is how it works as my wife wants "Auto Hop" as she hates commercials!

3. Custom Folders- I have to make this system work as easy as possible for the "old girl" to understand. I want to setup a custom folder for her that I can dump all her Soaps and the other 5-6 shows a week that she records. It's my understanding that you can setup 5 custom folders. In everything I have watched or read I have not found any info on the steps to do this. It is always glossed over that it can be done but not how to do it! I assume that once a folder is setup for her, that I can specify a event to record to her folder? Could you tell me how to set one up?

Thanks yet again,
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

#1 - We've installed a lot of customers who's EHD was recognized right away by the HWS and a few who have had to wait until the next day. I think you'd be safe plugging it in shortly after activation, just be sure not to format it if it asks you if you want to. I would unplug it if the 'Do you want to format?' box comes up.

#2 - Save Series works great and pretty much like you described. Do it once and you're all set. PTAT is awesome.

#3 - I don't use Custom Folders at all so I'm sorry that I can't help with that one. Maybe somebody else who knows how they work can chime in.

Good Luck.

You can also use the guide to schedule recordings. Just select those of interest with the yellow PT and choose Record This or Record Series. The recordings will be saved in the My Recordings folder automatically.

Reactions: JSheridan
Autohop is available the next day for Fox and NBC. ABC O&O stations have a 3 day delay and all CBS stations have a 7 day delay. Recent contract negotiations changed Autohop on ABC and CBS.

You can also use the guide to schedule recordings. Just select those of interest with the yellow PT and choose Record This or Record Series. The recordings will be saved in the My Recordings folder automatically.

This is then a "shortcut" to automatically save a season after you turn on PTAT instead of going into the PTAT folder and looking for the shows you want to save on the regular basis?
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)