HWS hardrive going out?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
I have a HWS and today while watching a few recordings I have noticed that occassionally the recording/hopper will freeze for between 1 and 10 seconds and then will start working again. It will also do it when trying to access the guide, show info, anything at all. I checked the counters and the high hard drive temp is 116F and the average temp is 111F. I worried the hard drive is going bad, so I hooked up my external harddrive that I've always used with it and it won't recognize it at all. The light on the EHD won't even flash to show communicating. I tried one of the rear USB ports and the same thing. So, I plugged the EHD into my other hopper (not hws) and it boots up and recognizes it and everything is great on that front. So, does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to lose my recordings due to a bad hard drive. I'm confused as to why the EHD won't connect to the HWS like it always has before. Also, does the HWS automatically occassionally backup the timers on the remote? If not, how do I manually do that? I've had to replace a hopper in the past and for some reason the timers weren't backed up and I had fun with that... I have tried unplugging the hopper for a while and plugging it back in, that didn't fix it. I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any info that I can get!

Have you tried to unplug the Hopper from power for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. It just might fix everything...

I'm watching a show that is recording currently, but I'm not watching it live. The show keeps freezing and skipping around. It is a show on primetime anytime, so I thought I'd try to watch it on our other hopper from this one as the recording as it's still recording. It is perfect and hasn't frozen or skipped or anything. Is there anyway to transfer recordings from HWS to hopper or have an EHD on the hopper and transfer from the HWS to the EHD while it's hooked up to the hopper? I am really trying hard to find a way to get my recordings off of my HWS.

I figured the EHD would have to be hooked up to the hopper that I want to save the recordings from, but for some reason, the HWS won't connect or even acknowledge the EHD even after trying all 3 of the usb ports and unplugging the HWS for a while, also have pushed the reset button twice. The EHD still works because if I plug it into my other hopper, it recognizes it and works perfectly.

Chad, I'm confused as to what that would have to do with anything since on my other hopper the EHD works like it should and it used to work perfectly on my HWS. Since it works perfectly on my second hopper, then I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with my EHD. Am I right to assume that?

Yes you are safe to assume that.
Clearly something is up with the other Hopper if you are stating multiple issues.

Time to put it to sleep.

I called and now have a replacement HWS on the way :( I guarantee that on the new receiver, I will keep more up to date with putting movies I want to keep onto my EHD! Of course, I think I said that the last time I had a receiver go bad. This HWS lasted 1 1/2 years. I don't think it helped when about 6-9 months ago a tech was upgrading the coax and moving the dish and the HWS was recording a show when he decided to pull it out of the cabinet and literally drop the front of it onto the floor WHILE it was recording. I think I even said something about the BIG warning on the top of it that says to unplug it and wait before moving it at all. If I remember right, he stated that moving it once or twice (but he dropped it) wouldn't hurt it in the long run. Hmm... wonder if it did affect it...

I've just had my second HWS go out in slightly under a month. This one spent most of Sunday afternoon rebooting before telling me the hard drive had to be reformatted. It said it did the reformat, but all the recordings still show up on the list and won't play. Since Sunday there have been 5-10 reboots. It seems like every time our network has even the slightest glitch the HWS reboots. I have a new one on the way, but it would have been nice to have it before I recorded and lost the season premier of Doctor Who.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)